Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival Knife!

I want to chop it in half with my KZII!

Like I did with my Motorola modem honor killing. Only I used the KZTT.

ModemHonorKilling006.jpg

First time I saw what looks to be orange ABS plastic material on the handle, I shook my head. Now it confirms my suspicions.

To be fair though, the design looks well thought-out. How it was built is another thing, obviously made capitalizing on Teddy Bear's popularity.

I would say this is a modern day example of the cheap 80's Rambo knives. Many kids will save up and buy these and have grand adventures. It will also start many kids into collecting knives for the rest of their lives, just like the crappy Rambo knives did for me:)

I was a Navy brat in the 50s after WWII. Our knives were Ka-Bars and bayonets left over from the war. They were way better than this Gerber or those cheap Rambo knives. We also had some quality Boy Scout knives available. There is just no excuse for this poor construction. Gerber is perfectly capable of making a good version of this Bear Grylls Ultimate knife. They just chose not to, and relied on a famous TV star to market this imported piece of plastic junk. Both Bear and Gerber should be ashamed.

I would say this is a modern day example of the cheap 80's Rambo knives. Many kids will save up and buy these and have grand adventures. It will also start many kids into collecting knives for the rest of their lives, just like the crappy Rambo knives did for me:)

Same here prowlngrowl. I thought mine was the "buy" of a lifetime. 8" blade, hollow handle for "survival stuff", saw teeth on top, big sheath, etc. etc., all for $19.95. Cutting rope and small branches was fine & it worked great until I tried to chop a branch about wrist size & the handle broke away at the blade on the second chop. My buddy told me the expression on my face was priceless. . . :)
Be safe.

All of my knives were my grandfather's old folders until I was about 8. Then I got the hollow survival knife. It's what got me super interested in knives, although it was a POS. I tried to stick it in a tree and broke the tip off. Regardless, my enthusiasm for knives and the outdoors skyrocketed with that knife. Now a days when I get a new one I really really like, I have the same feeling as I had the night before my 8th bday hoping I would get that survival knife.

Yea...the BG knife may suck...but then again, we are a lot of serious knife snobs on BF and that dandy orange and black may be the ticket for some kid to get into knives and the wilderness. I would never buy it and would never buy it for a friend....but it's being commercially marketed towards viewers of the show. Let them buy it, break it, do a google search for "survival" knife, and maybe they will run across good ole BF and really learn about knives :)

Gerber's still capable of making a good knife. Sure, even this isn't as well-made as the old ones. But it doesn't suck either.

GerberMarkII.jpg

Horn Dog, hey

I'm curious. Usually when someone posts up a knife fail there is a chorus of “give the manufacture or maker the benefit of the doubt”, “give them chance to make it good” and all that. I'm a lot less charitable and if I think something is a POS I'll say just that. Whilst I strongly suspect in this case this offering is a POS too I haven't seen anyone mentioning returning it to Gerber to get their angle on it. Have you considered that? I know it's got to be much easier just to pop in in the bin but given the way they have marketed it I couldn't resist the temptation.

Horn Dog, hey

I'm curious. Usually when someone posts up a knife fail there is a chorus of “give the manufacture or maker the benefit of the doubt”, “give them chance to make it good” and all that. I'm a lot less charitable and if I think something is a POS I'll say just that. Whilst I strongly suspect in this case this offering is a POS too I haven't seen anyone mentioning returning it to Gerber to get their angle on it. Have you considered that? I know it's got to be much easier just to pop in in the bin but given the way they have marketed it I couldn't resist the temptation.

I want my $65.05 back, so it goes to Amazon Monday. I did a scathing review of it on Amazon.com, so maybe Gerber will notice it and contact me. I am not hard to find. I hope amazon shows the review. I gave it one star. Shoddy workmanship is not acceptable at this price.

I want my $65.05 back, so it goes to Amazon Monday. I did a scathing review of it on Amazon.com, so maybe Gerber will notice it and contact me. I am not hard to find. I hope amazon shows the review. I gave it one star. Shoddy workmanship is not acceptable at this price.

Strewth, the next reviewer wrote; "I challenge you to find a more complete knife for this price!". I wonder how much he could be coaxed into betting on that challenge ;-)

I don't have any Gerber products but now for sure I'll never buy a Gerber with as low as they've stooped here. They know what kind of POS they are putting out long before they do. The funny thing is that Bear let his name be put on such a POS only shows what he is really all about. A "Real" survivalist would never allow his name to be put on such crap. Oh hey in those "survival" instructions included does it say to piss in a container and let it sit for hours in the heat so bacteria can build up before you drink it?

. . . Gerber's daring putting their name on that. Apparently they don't have much self-respect left. . .

It's not about self respect or pride of the brand. Its all about profit margins. Remember Mr. Grylls is taken a good chunk of $$ from this products sales as well, so bottom line its got to be extremely cheap to produce to be good for Gerber's business..

BTW, anyone ever seen Grylls actually wear and use this knife on an episode before?

Anthony

Vic, I respect your obsession to buy and test all the flavors of survival knives out there...but man...this is going to lead to depressing and expensive habits as more and more of the 'special forces experts', 'survival stars' and book authors start cashing in on their budget minded survival knives to companies that like to cater to the masses....Good luck in the fight!

Vic, I respect your obsession to buy and test all the flavors of survival knives out there...but man...this is going to lead to depressing and expensive habits as more and more of the 'special forces experts', 'survival stars' and book authors start cashing in on their budget minded survival knives to companies that like to cater to the masses....Good luck in the fight!

LOL! Yeah, it does get expensive. I can't buy all of them, that's for sure. I still think that my hobby of buying and testing survival knives is cheaper than golf. I had high hopes for the Bear Grylls/Gerber collaboration, or should I say conspiracy. His Bayley knives were priced for serious collectors, not outdoorsmen. I knew that Gerber built some pretty good survival knives and figured Bear's would be good, too. I was wrong.

Back