Bear MGC razor trapper w/ivory.

Morrow

Don't make this weird
I picked this one recently in a trade. It's a Bear MGC razor trapper with ivory scales. The blades are TiNI (titanium nitride) coated. It is sort of a strange combination of qualities for a traditional knife. I was a little apprehensive to do the trade but I'm glad I did. F&F is pretty good. Both blades have half stops with just the right amount of tension.

DSCF0201.jpg

DSCF0203.jpg

DSCF0205.jpg

DSCF0206.jpg

Last edited:
I can safely say that is the most unique trapper I have ever seen due to the razor. Do you intend to EDC it or is it a collector knife? Is the coating due to the blades being a carbon stee or just for looksl? I like the dark color of the blades. They contrast nicely with the light ivory.

I can safely say that is the most unique trapper I have ever seen due to the razor. Do you intend to EDC it or is it a collector knife? Is the coating due to the blades being a carbon stee or just for looksl? I like the dark color of the blades. They contrast nicely with the light ivory.

To be honest, I don't know much about the knife. I emailed the manufacturer asking for more info.

Looks great to me, I really like the blade combo and the ivory completes the look. The coating makes the blades look as if they have a polished patina...not a bad look at all in my opinion.

Looks great to me, I really like the blade combo and the ivory completes the look. The coating makes the blades look as if they have a polished patina...not a bad look at all in my opinion.

It does look good. The blade finish reminds of the Case peanuts with the blued blades. Imagine yourself listening to a description of this knife without seeing it. My first thought was :barf:

It turned out to be an interesting knife.

It is an interesting knife! I am used to TiNi coating on drill bits, milling cutters etc. which is normally gold in color. The color of the TiNi coating on the blades is black or very dark? Its also interesting in that Bear did away with the scale pins, or at the very least hidden?

Thanks for showing this knife!

Ken

It is an interesting knife! I am used to TiNi coating on drill bits, milling cutters etc. which is normally gold in color. The color of the TiNi coating on the blades is black or very dark? Its also interesting in that Bear did away with the scale pins, or at the very least hidden?

Thanks for showing this knife!

Ken

The best way I can describe the coating color is....mirrored charcoal gray.

If you'd like a closer look, I'd be glad to send it you.

Got me some stubble...

I'll take her!

:)

I'm not sure this is one you'd want to shave with it. It isn't ground like normal straight razor. I doubt you'd get true shaving sharpness out of this one like you would a straight razor.

Just a quick update on this knife. I spoke with a nice gentleman named Ken from Bear & Sons about this knife. These were made for Smoky Mountain Knife Works about 3 years ago. The handle slabs are not elephant ivory but mastodon ivory. The blade steel is 440C and the coating is TiNi. Approximately 100 (probably a little less) were made.

Back