Becker BK2 actually usefulness

I have carried a Camillus BK-2 in the field for the last 8 years. Let me start out by saying that I am a hunter.
I have carried in it during canoe trips into the Quetico and BWCA for a week or so at a time. There I sliced slab bacon and split kindling with it. I carried it on a horseback trout fishing trip in the Bighorns of Wyoming where I cleaned brook and rainbow trout with it. On a antelope hunting trip to South Dakota, I skinned, disjointed, and quartered 3 antelope without sharpening. The first inch or so of blade at the tip wasn't so sharp after that because of cutting through muddy antelope hide and hair. But the edge came back quickly.
I've skinned and breasted wild turkeys and grouse with it, field dressed and skinned a score or so of deer, and numbers of rabbits and squirrels. The drop point zips open the belly without touching the paunch. The deep belly does a great job of skinning without puncturing the hide.
Once I even used it to skin and fillet a 40 lb. sturgeon.
During bow season, I trim shooting lanes from my tree stand with it. For lopping small branches, it's quicker and quieter than a saw.
It's been on countless weekend camping trips, splitting more kindling, slicing food, whittling sticks for sandwich roasting or to make a crane to suspend cooking pots over the fire. The back of the blade works great for dispatching carp during spring carp shooting.
I've never carved a spoon with, but I've never had to.
The point is, I've found the knife exceptionally useful. I've never had a task that it couldn't perform satisfactorily. Would a different knife performed any one of those tasks better? Probably. But in 8 years I haven't found another one that will do them all as well.

We have a rule here; pics or it didn't happen :D j/k

Last edited:
We have a rule here; pics or it didn't happen :D

actually, there's a rule in the FAQ that says you cannot utter those words :)

j/k

no, really, i'm not! there's a rule.

wait. i think ;)

but yes, we do like peekturs. some of them guys over thar, cant red so good.

you can make fuzz sticks and carve spoons and make figure-4s... Practice. Choke up on it, learn to love it... Find a moose. Skin it! Then run from the enraged moose! Yeah! Not our moosez45, some other m00ses, sharpen an interplaque t00thbrush and go for it. Darn things bite sisters.

LOL, hilarious !!!!

Back