Becker BK72 - interesting exclusive collab

Great pics Piter; thanks for sharing.
1095 CroVan certainly gets it done for me but if Becker Knives, and perhaps this one in particular, were to go with a "premium" stainless steel I personally would be leaning toward 3V. It's still knice in any event.

I think it’s cool but I’m not a fan of the BK2. It’s actually the only Becker I’ve sold. If they ever do a BK16 I’m in for sure!

Well the one I ordered is in the US and my state now... Its the most I ever spent on a knife. Having a heavy duty jack of all trades very rust resistant that will last a very long time was the main reason I got it. Its a decent steel that I've had good luck with my thin Code 4s and Recon ones. I'll put it the BK 22 sheath on the hip for water borne trips. I can swim with all my clothes in the past and recently. And I "WASTE TIME!" strapping the packs to the Thawrts and yoke of the canoe or seats so they not get lost if the canoe goes over so I can get a shore and right every thing up. Keeping a knife on you is wise, as other people who "Didn't Waste Time!" wonder why you don't share your food. A good heavy knife is nice to have with the fire steel for the fast fires one needs to make.

OK...got mine a day early! It went from Da' HELL to local postal...my guess the UPS side of USPS delivery. Da' Hell cut off delivery area is just 2 miles away from where I live... I work near the loading dock at work and got many confirmations of that from drivers.

The sheath...well looking at it as a Kydex with the chemical composition of it being...sorry sheath snobs, its a Taco type with no belt attachments. For me that's the most sucky part of it. All the sheath is, is a place to put a BK2 so it don't cut things. Atleast it don't dull things like the BK2 sheath does. So I'll be putting it in a BK22 sheath I got for both standard BK2s. But as the sheath isn't the knife part, it does its job as keeping the knife in a nice secure place so it don't pokie or cut thingies. (Sorry for the technical jargan there). A spare BK2 can be parked in that sheath till I get yet another BK22 sheath. Unless some one can tell me where a nice narrow taco kydex that can fit on a BELT can be found. I HATE pancake Kydex sheaths. I mean all that material taking up so much space, really how can one keep one on a belt with out it always getting in the way! I have a few pancake ones I gave away because of that...

The knife itself. I'd say well worth it, if you want a great SS knife that can do things as a jack of all trades duty and not worry about it if you just use it as its intended for. Steel vs Wood, not ROCKS! (I include cement and cinder blocks with this.) But it feels it can do such thingies if called upon. The DBK video is a good one to look at. Its not like I'm going to use it to parry .50 cal BMG bursts again...er um forget I typed that...I didn't do that, no never happened! Got that! um..I lied! I told a large Tacti-Tale...yeah that's it! Believe me! Trust me!...

The knife being a LITERAL HUGE chunk of S35VN steel makes my folders in that steel look pretty slim and trim...very slim...the handle is a bit slickery, I'd score it if I wasn't going to swap them with my BK2...or maybe a 9...

I'll be putting my Dogwood Becker Firefly handles on it, a clear resin with green glow stones, no I don't misplace my field tools that often...if I could find a clear spacer for the handles, I'd put that on to. To bad I can't post pics here.

The knife is well worth it, I'll Tacti-Type once again, if your looking for a nice heavy duty jack of all trades blade. Like the 1095CV BK2, it can do about every thing, some not as good as a dedicated slicer and dicer, but for the harder tasks it shouldn't fail you. It should be more wet weather resistant than any thing carbon steel. IF price is no object that is for you. Normally I'd just get two BK2s for the price, but I got 2 already, the strong SS made me get the most expensive knife I ever gotten, for me that is, to date. IF the BK2 was made in a decently done 420 HC or other good SS I'd of gotten it as well, my experience with my decent heat treated 420 HC over the decades has taught it can do the job. The OKC 420 HC steel varient in their Woodsman is spot on for example (for note, most of the 420 HC Woodsman I have or gave away see more kitchen and butchering duty, the beater one I use the wilderhood also becomes the camp cook knife, but man are they tough! But my one 5160 one still survives things even a good 420 HC probably won't).

IF you want a more all can do all the slicy, dicy, and fancy bushcrafty Foo-Foo that is thinner and want to brag how expensive your nice niche knife was for a literal small sliver of steel, this might not be the knife for you.

This is a GREAT KNIFE that Mr. Becker designed and in a greatly improved serviceable steel. I got the knife for the Functional Design and better steel for more for less need for maintenance in the field and can take it on more "Wetter" adventures. Yes and as a snorkel knife, them little thin bladed "Dive" knives, really don't cut it when needed. My CS Koban serrated knife is my net and fishing line snag ball lake cleaner. But a solid heavy knife is handy for the dead log prying and in case one needs to pry a rock or some thing to free some one or some thing.

Last edited:
I think it’s cool but I’m not a fan of the BK2. It’s actually the only Becker I’ve sold. If they ever do a BK16 I’m in for sure!
I also am a fan for the BK-16 (and 15!!!) but see the BK-2 (another favorite of mine) as a BK-16 on steroids.

The BK-2 truly can do ANYTHING one would expect a knife to do - and more, though perhaps not everything perfectly.

Not that I'm Old School or anything but with a BK-2 and a Buck 110 a man could do much in the wild.

yep got got the handles swapped. Both look purdy. Why waste good micarta handles when you would of had to get new ones?

Yep the Dodwood fire fly handles are great. Some one saw the light and got to the path and after the clouds rolled in making it total black out and saw my light I turned on. They asked me for a light. Not a smoking one. I bring as much light devices as I do knives my self...and a SAW!

BK72 can clean fish sort-of-ishly, but small fish not so muchly...but I took the gator blade out to do it right. IT worked wonders on small game, well I don't use coated knives on food myself. Reason I got my most expensive knife and another one, then I realized my SS lock back collection is almost gone. Thanks to the multitude crop of younger neices and nephews and younger adopted sibs. Guess I'll have to hang on to the last Buck and Gerber, although my CS lock backs been doing double duty as hunting knives and EDCs. I need pouch riders for my larger blades including the Beckers.

End of summer vibes with BK72... it was a good time.

bk72_ac_web.jpg

biesy23_ac_web-2.jpg

biesy23_ac_web-1.jpg

Back