Becker Shopping Spree . . . .

OK Beckerheads, I need some guidance, advice, ideas, etc. That said, I will be purchasing my first BK knife after the holidays, more than likely a BK-2 to start with on the advice of the godfather & the posts of Mist putting one thru it's paces on several occasions. However, as with Lays chips, you can't have just one. Sooooo, what other models are you veterans looking to procure in the next 6 months or so??? My way of thinking would be a chopper, big blade to have for camping, & a smaller blade for the tedious things in life . . . :D
Looking forward to the ideas you have to offer for this new guy. Thanks for your help.
Merry Christmas,
Be safe.

After the BK2, I would have to say you need to get you some BK14 goodness. Its the EDC version of a BK2 in my opinion. I have medium to large hands and the BK11 doesn't fit me, the ESKabar does fit me, quite well. Very stout, great design, and worth every penny.

After that BK9, BK5, and finish with the BK7. Get the Tactool later on, after you grow weary of the others. :D

Moose

well, i don't have a current 7, so will probably get one. otherwise, i have them all ;)

i probably will buy some more BK14s, and BK13s. they're too handy, and make great gifts for all ages. i know 3 little girls that probably should have reasonable first knives :>

i know i'm looking forward to the new models. for sure.

i'm sure i could convince myself to get a KaBar Cutlass chopper and a KaBar Khukri in the next order too. easy choice. hi Toooooooj.

while there are a goodly number out, the current Becker lineup isn't HUGE... so it's easy to go nuts.

got a SanMai Necker yet? no? nice stuff! get it. might as well buy some micarta too.

After the BK2, I would have to say you need to get you some BK14 goodness. Its the EDC version of a BK2 in my opinion. I have medium to large hands and the BK11 doesn't fit me, the ESKabar does fit me, quite well. Very stout, great design, and worth every penny.
After that BK9, BK5, and finish with the BK7. Get the Tactool later on, after you grow weary of the others.

Moose, brother, I swear, why does it not surprise me you are the first poster . . . AGAIN ??? There must be some kind of scent that goes off when someone hits the "Submit Reply" button . . . :D
Since this is the godfather's wish, this is the list I will start with as a guide. Thanks for your help, hope the meds are doing their job for you. Also, how many more of these did you say I need ?? Not a hard job to reply to them, but it's like hell trying to come up with some subject that will get at least 1 or 2 posts before everyone starts laughing at it & wondering what you were smoking when you started the thread . . . :) :thumbup:
Merry Christmas,
Be safe.

... but it's like hell trying to come up with some subject that will get at least 1 or 2 posts before everyone starts laughing at it & wondering what you were smoking when you started the thread . . . :)

remember, the rules say the threads must be meaninful and useful. no pictures! geez. so this one doesn't count. heck, the others don't count either. start over :)

in the xmas spirit though, i'm going to go through and mark posts useful or not. lots of coal this year for the little girls and boys. merry jingly! i might even find a few scofflaws that didn't read the FAQ. there's going to be some Beckerhead number repos soon, i swear! get that interesting content count up up up up! do the contests! make fire drills! bow bow bow! i want more magnum camp goodness. go go go!

need more rum too! ;)

I'm gonna have to go with Moose on this one, because I don't have an Eskabar yet either. So, that would be next on my list. The BK2 is a great place to start, but I would follow up with the BK14, then a BK7. I love the 7...really, I do...

Moose, brother, I swear, why does it not surprise me you are the first poster . . . AGAIN ??? There must be some kind of scent that goes off when someone hits the "Submit Reply" button . . . :D

I subscribe to this thread, and since I am a mod to be, I have an alert that lets me know when someone posts here. There, my secrets out, lol. Plus, I try to generally be the "welcome" guy on new posts and new posters. Since I been so sick, by activity has been down, but I am still here, watching from shadows for the How much is this worth, or I wanna buy this, is anyone selling it posts. Gotta practice my modding, lol

The list of Beckers is small and inexpensive, but it is money out the door, and knives coming in. The most important thing is to buy as your budget allows, and to use what you have.

3 more threads and pictures of your Becker are required, that is all.

Moose

3 more threads and pictures of your Becker are required, that is all

and one of those Beckers has to be a SanMai, Extreme, or an out of production item pre-KaBar ;) yeah. YEAH.

okay, maybe not :) guy can dream though.

remember, the rules say the threads must be meaninful and useful. no pictures! geez. so this one doesn't count. heck, the others don't count either. start over :) in the xmas spirit though, i'm going to go through and mark posts useful or not. lots of coal this year for the little girls and boys. merry jingly! i might even find a few scofflaws that didn't read the FAQ. there's going to be some Beckerhead number repos soon, i swear! get that interesting content count up up up up! do the contests! make fire drills! bow bow bow! i want more magnum camp goodness. go go go! need more rum too!

Bladite, trust me, if I could put pictures on here I would. I, uh "we", (my wife reads these as well, except for her post :) ), had our computer rebuilt by the Director of the I/T dept. at my work, & "he" forgot to install the video manager in the hard drive. Won't be able to get to it until after the holidays.
Soooo, all you have is my word for now, & my word is my bond. But thanks for allowing me to come here anyway.
Merry Christmas,
Be safe.
p.s.: Geez, all these rule changes remind me of a kid I used to play basketball with & the rules changed almost after every basket with him as well . . . ;)

I don't own a becker right now but after Christmas i'm sold on getting an 11 or a 14.

remember, the rules say the threads must be meaninful and useful. no pictures! geez. so this one doesn't count. heck, the others don't count either. start over :) in the xmas spirit though, i'm going to go through and mark posts useful or not. lots of coal this year for the little girls and boys. merry jingly! i might even find a few scofflaws that didn't read the FAQ. there's going to be some Beckerhead number repos soon, i swear! get that interesting content count up up up up! do the contests! make fire drills! bow bow bow! i want more magnum camp goodness. go go go! need more rum too!

Bladite, trust me, if I could put pictures on here I would. I, uh "we", (my wife reads these as well, except for her post :) ), had our computer rebuilt by the Director of the I/T dept. at my work, & "he" forgot to install the video manager in the hard drive. Won't be able to get to it until after the holidays.
Soooo, all you have is my word for now, & my word is my bond. But thanks for allowing me to come here anyway.
Merry Christmas,
Be safe.
p.s.: Geez, all these rule changes remind me of a kid I used to play basketball with & the rules changed almost after every basket with him as well . . . ;)

No worries, we ain't going anywhere.

I don't own a becker right now but after Christmas i'm sold on getting an 11 or a 14.

Good for you, they will make you some good companions, maybe not Campanions, but those will come later:D

Moose

Merry Christmas,
Be safe.

uhm, video manager? what?

picture on hard drive, photobucket, clicky clicky upload, copy url, paste... whut whut whut! can i have a whut up? :)

also, just post pictures of knives that your wife knows you have ;)

heh

OK Beckerheads, I need some guidance, advice, ideas, etc. That said, I will be purchasing my first BK knife after the holidays, more than likely a BK-2 to start with on the advice of the godfather & the posts of Mist putting one thru it's paces on several occasions. However, as with Lays chips, you can't have just one. Sooooo, what other models are you veterans looking to procure in the next 6 months or so??? My way of thinking would be a chopper, big blade to have for camping, & a smaller blade for the tedious things in life . . . :D
Looking forward to the ideas you have to offer for this new guy. Thanks for your help.
Merry Christmas,
Be safe.

I think the BK2 is the best one and I don't really feel the others Beckers are nearly as satisfying to own or use.

Is it enough to own only one?

I think the BK2 is the best one and I don't really feel the others Beckers are nearly as satisfying to own or use. Is it enough to own only one?

collecter, I used to think so. My father gave me a piece of advice a long time ago when I was in my teens, "If you find something that is really good & useful, but two of them because they will quit making it". . Never really believed it until I bought a pair of Browning hunting boots that were actually waterproof, not water resistant. You could stand in the middle of a creek for 15 minutes, & water would not get in. And these were well insulated as well. I went back the next year & these models were not made anymore. I wore those boots until the duct tape wouldn't keep the water out. So that was a lesson I learned early in my life. Doesn't mean things will break, just means when they wear out, you start rolling the dice. . .
Merry Christmas,
Be safe.

I have the 9 and the 14 and they make a good pair. I have also handled the 2, and man let me tell you, holding a bk2 just feels RIGHT. I'm getting it next.

Had I been able to hold all of them pre-ordering I would have ordered the 2, 14, and then the 9. I do love my 9 though. My stepdad offered to buy my 9 so I could buy a 2, but I was like, "nahhhhhh."

I say go with the BK9, IMO if I had to choose only one BK it would be the 9.
Well maybe the 7 or the 9, I'm leaning on the 7 but the 9 it excellent.....

Damn it now I'm confused

[/B]
collecter, I used to think so. My father gave me a piece of advice a long time ago when I was in my teens, "If you find something that is really good & useful, but two of them because they will quit making it". . Never really believed it until I bought a pair of Browning hunting boots that were actually waterproof, not water resistant. You could stand in the middle of a creek for 15 minutes, & water would not get in. And these were well insulated as well. I went back the next year & these models were not made anymore. I wore those boots until the duct tape wouldn't keep the water out. So that was a lesson I learned early in my life. Doesn't mean things will break, just means when they wear out, you start rolling the dice. . .
Merry Christmas,
Be safe.

I'm in the process of getting rid of some of my other knives and could see getting a 2nd BK2 to keep in the truck but there's something pleasing to me about using one knife.

It gets marks from use and develops character. It's a record for your experiences and when you look at each scratch you can tell the story. A new knife that you keep for back-up isn't as good IMO.

if you don't have a chopper yet then i'd say get the bk-9 next...if there's any doubt, just think which knife would you rather have to chop logs and build a fire with after flipping the kayak and taking a dunk in the water in 40º weather? the romantic notions of a mora and bushcraft goes out the window when lives are on the line...me? i'm waiting for the becker bk-3000, aka the becker solar-powered chainsaw :eek:

Back