Beckers and Brush shelters - One I did in the back yard

wildmanh

Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker
Last weekend I made a brush shelter in my mom's back yard down in Spring City with my trusty BK-9. Used stuff I found in the yard and some jute twine that I keep in my 72 hour kit to make the shelter. First I started with a pile of lodge pole pine:

attachment.php

Then I made a elongated pyramid and lashed it together:
attachment.php

Then I lashed more poles onto the frame and wove green branches from a bush to fill in the holes:
attachment.php

After the frame was were I wanted it, I started piling leaves onto the north facing side:
attachment.php

After that I started filling in the south side, but ran out of leaves:
attachment.php

Attachments

• bk9_shelter_03 (Medium).jpg
    bk9_shelter_03 (Medium).jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 154
  • bk9_shelter_04 (Medium).jpg
    bk9_shelter_04 (Medium).jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 154
  • bk9_shelter_05 (Medium).jpg
    bk9_shelter_05 (Medium).jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 154
  • bk9_shelter_06 (Medium).jpg
    bk9_shelter_06 (Medium).jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 155
  • bk9_shelter_07 (Medium).jpg
    bk9_shelter_07 (Medium).jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Here is the north facing side:
attachment.php

The South facing side that I wasn't able to complete:
attachment.php

After that I went inside and watched movies the rest of the day. A week later, yesterday (saturday) it snowed so I went out side to check the shelter. The part that is covered in leaves held the snow back pretty well IMO:
attachment.php

If I had been able to finish the shelter, I would have used a 3' x 6' ground cover I have for the door. It was fun and rather educational. By the way, this is not the first brush shelter I've made. Back in the 90's we lived on an acre lot and I built a ton of them. Mostly out of grass and Box Elder branches, though some were made from Pine bowes when I could get my hands on them.

This is the first shelter I've done with leaves and think it turned out rather well considering the fact that I didn't have enough of them. Now that it's back in my blood, I can't wait for Springtime so I can make more of them in the mountains. So what do you all think? Anyone made a shelter this year and used a Becker knife? If so, please post them.

Attachments

• bk9_shelter_08 (Medium).jpg
    bk9_shelter_08 (Medium).jpg
    105 KB · Views: 143
  • bk9_shelter_10 (Medium).jpg
    bk9_shelter_10 (Medium).jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 142
  • bk9_shelter_11 (Medium).jpg
    bk9_shelter_11 (Medium).jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 143
It was a good frame anyways! Its good to practice at home, and get the size down pat.

Good frame! It'd be fun to see what you could make out of the snow (as far as insulation for your existing structure) and then sleep in it.

You probably know too since you've built several, and I know you were limited in how many leaves you had, but it takes a friggin ton of leaves to provide decent insulation to an A frame shelter! Like a couple of feet thick at least. Adding in rain means even more. Takes at least a couple of hours, for sure.

you need about 3 feet of leaves right? that's a LOT of leaves ;)

It was a good frame anyways! Its good to practice at home, and get the size down pat.

Thanks! That was kind of the idea with this shelter + getting in more practice time so I'm not to rusty come spring.

Good frame! It'd be fun to see what you could make out of the snow (as far as insulation for your existing structure) and then sleep in it.

Trying something with snow... Wow, it's been around 10 years since I did that. If the rain doesn't wash it all away, maybe I will try something.

You probably know too since you've built several, and I know you were limited in how many leaves you had, but it takes a friggin ton of leaves to provide decent insulation to an A frame shelter! Like a couple of feet thick at least. Adding in rain means even more. Takes at least a couple of hours, for sure.

you need about 3 feet of leaves right? that's a LOT of leaves ;)

This was the first shelter with leaves and it sure took more then I thought. 3 feet thick for rain? Dang!! That sure would take a while to make... Thinking a Tarp shelter with a space blanket might be a faster option, if one has those on them.

This was the first shelter with leaves and it sure took more then I thought. 3 feet thick for rain? Dang!! That sure would take a while to make... Thinking a Tarp shelter with a space blanket might be a faster option, if one has those on them.

Yup! Building the shelter will guarantee you never forget your tarp again. :D Pain in the rump. Fun though.

not for rain so much, as insulation. cold!

if you were to cover that puppy with leaves, and then a tarp, you'd trap a lot more air... and the tarp would keep all the water off. you need insulation on the ground too. lots. think: nest!

don't forget the door :)

Thank you! I've always figured that I'd be able to make an A frame shelter if needed, but it sounds like there are a number of things I didn't know that could've cost me in a real situation. Guess it's time to start practicing!

. 3 feet thick for rain? Dang!! That sure would take a while to make... Thinking a Tarp shelter with a space blanket might be a faster option, if one has those on them.

Not just for rain but for insulation. You want a crapload under you too. More is better.

---

Beckerhead #42

Good looking shelter man, wish I could donate you some of my leaves, I just raked enough over the bank today to make four or five of those....and I still have twice that many to go :grumpy:

attachment.php

Wildmanh, no problem with the south side. This is where your new & improved
Becker Custom Bushcraft Fold-Away Solar Panel goes . . . :D :thumbup:
Moose is still working out the copyright details on it as of this morning.
Be safe.

Yup! Building the shelter will guarantee you never forget your tarp again. :D Pain in the rump. Fun though.

not for rain so much, as insulation. cold!

if you were to cover that puppy with leaves, and then a tarp, you'd trap a lot more air... and the tarp would keep all the water off. you need insulation on the ground too. lots. think: nest!

don't forget the door :)

Having a tarp over a brush shelter would probably be awesome! I had placed my shelter facing my fire pit so the warmth from it would help keep the shelter warm. Didn't get around to making the reflector, but it's there in my mind. ;)

Thank you! I've always figured that I'd be able to make an A frame shelter if needed, but it sounds like there are a number of things I didn't know that could've cost me in a real situation. Guess it's time to start practicing!

You're welcome! I used to make tons of frames trying to figure out what worked and what didn't. Kind of the Practice makes perfect mentality. When you start practicing, feel free to post pictures in this thread, or start a new one if this one gets burried.

Not just for rain but for insulation. You want a crapload under you too. More is better.

---

Beckerhead #42

Thanks!

Good looking shelter man, wish I could donate you some of my leaves, I just raked enough over the bank today to make four or five of those....and I still have twice that many to go :grumpy:

If you had a way to send some down, I'd take them! Would finish my shelter, or make it a little different, then this spring we'd turn the leaves into mulch for mom's garden.

[
Wildmanh, no problem with the south side. This is where your new & improved
Becker Custom Bushcraft Fold-Away Solar Panel goes . . . :D :thumbup:
Moose is still working out the copyright details on it as of this morning.
Be safe.

Sign me up for one of those when they are ready. ;)

By the way, feel free to post your own pictures in this thread. I'd love to see other peoples shelters.

Back