Being Tracked...

There is a lot discussions on tracking..I thought it might be interesting since we have several military, and hunters here, to turn the tables..What if you are the one being tracked? How would this affect your techniques in meeting the 5 survival essentials without being caught? Maybe caught behind enemy lines or being tracked by the 5 brothers of your ex-girlfriend? Of course the situation can be an infinite number of variable ones pertaining to the terrain, time of year, weather conditions,persuers etc.(assume the persuers are man not grizzlies)..So use whatever time of year, part of the world, duration of the persuit, shepards vs blood hounds,horseback, whatever. Can we dispell some of the myths out there on this topic that Hollywood has alduterated us with? No I am not a fugitive from the law or " on the lamb" but I think this puts an added challenge on our ability to navigate,travel, keep warm, find shelter, rest,etc...How do you approach this situation differently than one when you are not limited by "outside forces?" Vast topic but what is your real or practiced experience in this area? If none, what would your plan be if you had to do it?

RonL,

Interesting question. I firmly believe one should learn the elements of tracking, what trackers look for and how they look for it, what the vaious sign and tracks tell them, etc.

Then you can discove ways to "fool them," but here's the caveat: a good tracker likely will not be fooled unless you have a backwards anatony or can fly ....
biggrin.gif

Brian.

------------------
Suburbia: Where they tear out the trees, then name streets after them.

Some questions, how am I armed, and how are my trackers armed? Can I get to a city? Do they have dogs? Are the cops looking too?

Personally, I'd go far, far away. If I were armed such that I could, and it wouldn't create other problems, I'd get rid of the trackers. Otherwise, I'd simply make sure they weren't near me. Vs. dogs, find long-distance transportation. Vs. people, same, or hard ground (Again, roads are rather tough to track on, even if yer only on foot...). But going to a different city, or coastline, or continent would be good. Wander into the nearest mall, hit the ATM, buy some new clothes, catch the bus to the airport, and buy a ticket out of town in cash.

I guess that's not what you were looking for, but unless it was the law on my tail, I'd not head into the woods. I'd head out of them. As far as behind the lines evasion, I'll let Greg answer that. I've yet to go through the school he taught at, and won't be able to approach his knowledge base even after I do...

Stryver

If the trackers are good, then you have a problem and as I see it only two choices.

1. Try to out stamina them. Hopefully you could keep moving longer and faster than they if you knew your territory and were trying to make it to safety. This would apply I guess in a Delieverance situation.

2. If you have adequate weapons you can draw them into an ambush situation or like a wounded predator, turn the table and track them. If possible, time wise yo might try laying snares for them. Maybe punji pits and the like, but anything like that takes time you might not have. If you can make them at least cautious even if you do not hurt any, you give yourself more time to get away.

Your best bet is to make it to the closest civilization and the police, that is if it not they who are tracking you.

A good person to ask would be Eric Rudolph----If we could find him!
biggrin.gif

Seriously, an interesting topic.
smile.gif

------------------
Travis Autry
My knives are just like rabbits---they keep multiplying!!

This thread should really be getting more play. Very valuable information. I am going to post another thread on something similar.

If you are familiar with the territory and
your trackers aren't it isn't too difficult
to evade. When some one is tracking they
usually make the mistake of walking in the
tracks they are following. Take them in a
big cirle to right or left and come back on
original tracks and then find a place to
jump off the track that isn't obvious ( yea
it can be done even in the snow) and make
another circle in the opposite direction,
but don't complete it (just almost) then
take off in the opposite direction. If they
find the second circle they won't follow it
long because they will assume it is leading
back in the same circle as the first.
It is difficult to find really good trackers
these days (even dogs) There are alot of things to use to throw off dogs. In the human
tracker catagory there are some rather well
know trackers with reputations that have been
fooled by the people they were tracking to
the point they would watch these trackers
looking for them everyday! and they weren't
found by the trackers. Don't believe everything you read in the books on tracking!!
The thing is if the hi tech stuff is available to trackers your in deep do-do.
I guess I've rambled on enough.....

------------------
http://www.imt.net/~goshawk
Don't walk in tradition just because it feels good!!!!!
Romans 10:9,10
Hebrews 4:12-16
Psalm 91

I have been a volunteer SAR person for almost 4 years. My experience with signcutters (most of them don't like to be called trackers) has
been very interesting. I have worked with both dogs and human "trackers". A well trained signcutter will be able to tell when you are backtracking and trying to lose them.
This does not mean that you can't outwit them. It just means you will have a VERY hard time against an experienced signcutter or tracker.

Oh Yeah, Your knowledge of the area won't make a big difference in the outcome.

------------------
Barry
Jones Knives

Do you hear that?
That is the sound of inevitability.

[This message has been edited by BARRY JONES (edited 01-14-2000).]

Back