• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Belt Grinder Modeled After The JL Grinder

Hello guyS My name is Enrique Pena and some of you might know who I'am. I make custom knives and now custom belt grinders as well. Some of you may also be familiar with John LeBlanc or the grinder that he made which he called it the JL grinder. He has reached retirement age and is no longer making them anymore so I have started to manufacture them myself. His design has proven itself and has been around for about 20 years. It is the grinder that I use my self as well as other makers that I know that live around my area like Bill Rupple, Rusty Preston and Johnny Stout among others that I do not recall at the time.

What Bill Rupple has said about this grinder is that if you are only going to have one grinder to make slip joint knives like the ones he makes, this is the grinder to have. One neat thing about this grinder is that there are no tools needed to change belts or attachments, everything is done on the fly by simply turning levers which saves a lot of time. Another nice feature that you do not see on any other grinder is that it has a brake on the drive wheel which is engaged by the use of a lever which stops the grinder almost instantly and allows for quick belt changing, remember time is money. Most of the machining on this grinder is done using CNC equipment to achieve better quality and precision. It is built of 1045 cold roll steel plate and 6061 aluminum. I personally put this grinder together to assure that it leaves my shop with the quality of a name brand grinder and actually run them with a belt and grind with it to check that it tracks good and performs.

The standard grinder will be John Deere green and will include the following.
1-ten inch contact wheel with a 70 durometer
2-adjustable work rest
3-platen attachment with 3" and 1.5" wheels with a 70 durometer
4- 1.5 hp dc motor and controller or 2hp three phase motor with a KB Penata controller like the ones the KMG grinder uses (It is a variable speed pakage and it will run of standard 220V household current)

The grinder may also be purchased with out a motor and controller to save you money if you have one or just wish to get your own.If for some reason you are not satisfied with it just send it back and I will refund you your money but I'm sure you will love it.

The cost of the grinder will be $2500 plus shipping. If you shop around you will find out that you will not find a grinder of this quality with all this nice features for this price. I will soon be designing a small wheel attachment and it will use small wheels with outboard bearings to keep from burning them up.I also build another grinder and I will be postting it soon. Im open for payment options and will soon be getting a Pay Pal acount. I know some of you know about the guy that ripped of a lot of people selling a grinder kit so I will consider cash on delivery to avoid any of that. I'm in the procceses of selling them with a knife supply supplier and will let you guys if that comes through. Any questions just email me at ep3757@yahoo.com or call me at 956 771 7749

Thanks Enrique Pena

Sorry guys about the pictures not comming out but here is another picture of the grinder. Let me know what you think of the grinder.

Hello guyS My name is Enrique Pena and some of you might know who I'am. I make custom knives and now custom belt grinders as well. Some of you may also be familiar with John LeBlanc or the grinder that he made which he called it the JL grinder. He has reached retirement age and is no longer making them anymore so I have started to manufacture them myself. His design has proven itself and has been around for about 20 years. It is the grinder that I use my self as well as other makers that I know that live around my area like Bill Rupple, Rusty Preston and Johnny Stout among others that I do not recall at the time.

What Bill Rupple has said about this grinder is that if you are only going to have one grinder to make slip joint knives like the ones he makes, this is the grinder to have. One neat thing about this grinder is that there are no tools needed to change belts or attachments, everything is done on the fly by simply turning levers which saves a lot of time. Another nice feature that you do not see on any other grinder is that it has a brake on the drive wheel which is engaged by the use of a lever which stops the grinder almost instantly and allows for quick belt changing, remember time is money. Most of the machining on this grinder is done using CNC equipment to achieve better quality and precision. It is built of 1045 cold roll steel plate and 6061 aluminum. I personally put this grinder together to assure that it leaves my shop with the quality of a name brand grinder and actually run them with a belt and grind with it to check that it tracks good and performs.

The standard grinder will be John Deere green and will include the following.
1-ten inch contact wheel with a 70 durometer
2-adjustable work rest
3-platen attachment with 3" and 1.5" wheels with a 70 durometer
4- 1.5 hp dc motor and controller or 2hp three phase motor with a KB Penata controller like the ones the KMG grinder uses (It is a variable speed pakage and it will run of standard 220V household current)

The grinder may also be purchased with out a motor and controller to save you money if you have one or just wish to get your own.If for some reason you are not satisfied with it just send it back and I will refund you your money but I'm sure you will love it.

The cost of the grinder will be $2500 plus shipping. If you shop around you will find out that you will not find a grinder of this quality with all this nice features for this price. I will soon be designing a small wheel attachment and it will use small wheels with outboard bearings to keep from burning them up.I also build another grinder and I will be postting it soon. Im open for payment options and will soon be getting a Pay Pal acount. I know some of you know about the guy that ripped of a lot of people selling a grinder kit so I will consider cash on delivery to avoid any of that. I'm in the procceses of selling them with a knife supply supplier and will let you guys if that comes through. Any questions just email me at ep3757@yahoo.com or call me at 956 771 7749

Thanks Enrique Pena

I have purchased the J.L Leblanc grinder company. I am in the process of producing these grinders. Did you ask John about using his design?

Tom

Enrique, you need to correct your title. Please go to your User CP and down the left side to Group Memberships and select the Knifemaker membership.

Since Tom paid good money to buy the rights to produce this grinder from John LeBlanc, I think I'll get mine from Tom.

Tom bought the patterns and molds to a grinder that does not have a patten on it. I did not mean to step on anybodies toes nor did I know someone had bought patterns and molds to make them. I called Tom as per his request this mornning and we talked about the issue.

I hope you two have worked something out . I have always liked Johns grinder and hoped to get one someday when the funds became available .

Mr. Pena, the word you are looking for is 'patent' and what does that have to do with the fact that Tom Krein went to John's home, worked out a business deal with him and bought the rights to manufactuer the JL grinders....what don't you understand about that? :confused:

Do you have no honor to your fellow knifemakers or do you feel it's OK to copy whomever's wares/designs that you want to make a dollar? :barf:

What goes around, comes around.... :rolleyes:

I know Enrique personally, he is a great machinist, and all I can say about this grinder is WOW when I saw it at his shop. It is an exact replica of the JL grinder the only difference is the color, it roars like a beauty and tracts nice and smooth. You will definetly be getting your money's worth for this grinder. I will be very interested if he ever makes the JL horizontal grinder.

Do the right thing and do not make these and sell them. Tom bought the rights from JL to make these and should be the only one making them.

I know Enrique personally, he is a great machinist, and all I can say about this grinder is WOW when I saw it at his shop. It is an exact replica of the JL grinder the only difference is the color, it roars like a beauty and tracts nice and smooth. You will definetly be getting your money's worth for this grinder. I will be very interested if he ever makes the JL horizontal grinder.

...not at $2500...competitive at $1800, good value at $1500.

This first post of a new member with the same manner of speech and spelling...

Does anyone else have the impression that Enrique Pena started another account to talk-up his product?

I consider THAT to be ignorant

Last edited:
Back