Beltless Sheath Revisited

Dave ,

Have you done any more " Beltless " sheaths , or made any changes to the design ?
My combo sheath has been used everyday at work now for a month and has passed the test with flying colours .
Haven't bothered to make another revised version because the first is working so well .
Has anyone else played with this idea ?

Ken

PS- I could have sold the belt you made me about ten times on Saturday night , went to a Dance with my wife , so got dressed up in my finest , got quite a few favourable comments , but it did take some explaining to my wife who was on the other side of the hall as to why some fine looking young ladies were taking a close interest in my pants :)

Last edited:
Still on my to do list Ken. And thanks for your pictures of the forming process. I thought I had already posted about it, but seemingly didn't. Sorry about that.

Ken have just refined it more. Been skiving the leather down to about 50% everywhere except where the knife goes. Have made several for sale and they have been well received and have sold but not jumping off the shelves. Here's a couple of pics of the last two.

tmtqXt2.jpg

ShBdtUP.jpg

XwgnYHf.jpg

I have been giving your thought on the beltless holster quite of bit of time in my head. Actually had a need for it a week or two back and it really got me thinking. The weight of most handguns would be a concern.

I like how the wet molding on the second sheath is a bit more defined , but that's just my love of wet molding showing through :)
Good things take time , and I'm sure that the popularity of these will increase as people realise just what a great idea this is . I've made a couple more versions of the folder type and given them to people , in both circumstances they have told me that they didn't know what to think when they first received them and said nice things to be polite , but after wearing them for a week or two they realised just how useful , comfortable , unique and efficient they are .
I believe that these sheaths of yours are the dawn of a new age :thumbup:

Ken

Thanks Ken. A friend of mine just left. He was working a trade for a friend of his. His friend is in Colorado and she ranches in the high country. He was on a six week roadtrip and stopped in and saw her. She saw his Gordo knife with red mammoth tooth handles and wanted one. Both of her adult daughters that help her run the ranch have my knives and she wanted one too. So we traded for some elk sheds. She doesn't wear a belt. Guess what sheath she wanted?

Just found this pic in my camera , it is the only image of have of the last couple that I've made , at this stage it wasn't totally finished , hadn't burnished the edges etc .
It is for a Leatherman Wave and is being given a trial run by a relative of mine in New Zealand .
This is a test to see if the rear belt loop flap will work turned under , rather on the top .

Ken

dang ken, some of your unfinished edges look better than my finished ones... nice beltless design!

Thats great Ken. I probably make more sheaths for Waves than for any other leatherman. Ya went smoothout instead of roughout this time.

Thats great Ken. I probably make more sheaths for Waves than for any other leatherman. Ya went smoothout instead of roughout this time.
Thanks it turned out OK , but to tell you the truth I didn't have my heart in the project .
I got bullied into making a couple of sheaths by my Brothers wife and she was very insistent as to what she wanted .
I was near the point of telling her exactly what I thought about the whole arrangement when I felt my wife squeezing my arm ( all married men will understand that subtle message which means " shut up and just nod your head " ) :)
The one concession I made was not to make it my favoured Rough Out , after she loudly proclaimed that she thought Rough Out looked silly and unfinished .
I have never liked making things to order , and I seriously don't know how you pro's manage to keep your sanity , I take my hat off to you all .

This did show me that your idea will work for Leatherman sized tools , which is one good thing I suppose .

Ken

Thought I'd just post this up here , because this is where it all began .
I've been using my Beltless version 2 for a number of years now and it has stood the test of time .
Originally it was designed for a Led Lensor flashlight and a Alox SAK , but many different knives and flashlights have been jammed into it .
Anyway 5 or 6 years has taken its toll on the sheath and its time for a refresh .

So I found a piece of leather in my bin and away we go .

M8RmyIl.jpg

Time to start wet molding it .

DYO7rd1.jpg

12 hours later and its nearly ready .

sluGzPK.jpg

Glued up and getting ready for stitching .

TsS1YxE.jpg

Stitched and the secret BBQ sauce leather dressing and curing has started to happen .

WhZENcY.jpg

Thought I'd just post this up here , because this is where it all began .
I've been using my Beltless version 2 for a number of years now and it has stood the test of time .
Originally it was designed for a Led Lensor flashlight and a Alox SAK , but many different knives and flashlights have been jammed into it .
Anyway 5 or 6 years has taken its toll on the sheath and its time for a refresh .

So I found a piece of leather in my bin and away we go .

M8RmyIl.jpg

Time to start wet molding it .

DYO7rd1.jpg

12 hours later and its nearly ready .

sluGzPK.jpg

Glued up and getting ready for stitching .

TsS1YxE.jpg

Stitched and the secret BBQ sauce leather dressing and curing has started to happen .

WhZENcY.jpg
That looks great Ken! Glad to see you are banging some dead cow around again!

Back