Benchmade 735 Ares

I was reading Professor's tribute to the BM 705 yesterday, and decided that I just had to have one of those cool little knives. I went to the shop with the thought of walking out with that knife, but once I got there another gem of a BM caught my eye. It was the Elishewitz 735 Ares Axis Lock. Ya know, the one with the green and black handles. I instantly fell in love. I bought it. The blade is a 3.5", 154cm, spear point with partial serrations, has dual thumb studs, and is satin finished. I feel that this will lend itself to a variety of everyday tasks. If I had to use it as a defensive weapon, I have no doubt that it would easily penatrate heavy clothing. I don't carry a knife for that purpose, but it's nice to know it's there. The sculptured handles of G-10 are just stunning. A really nice blend of black and green. There is even a recess for the axis lock, so it doesn't stick out too far. The liners are beefy, and have nice ridges for the forefinger and thumb. The pocket clip is reversable for us lefty's. The reason I really like this knife is, it is the perfect size for everyday carry. I'm just hoping that this knife will stand the test of time. 2 years is a long time, and I change my EDC almost weekly. Let's see if this one will stay in my pocket.

[This message has been edited by USAFSP (edited 05-06-2001).]

I bought one a couple of weeks ago and love it. It't the first high quality folder I have bought. Was cutting some wire ties under a desk and the knife slipped, the tip striking a concrete block wall HARD. Penetrated about 1/4". I thought I had broken the tip off. It was barely scratched! Great knife!
Steve Ferguson

Steve, welcome aboard. Now you too truly know the blessings of owning a high-quality knife!!!! Yeah, I love the things!!! The only problem is, that I bought two of them ,and they are both the green knife of the month club knives, and I just can't get myself to use it! Maybe I'll just have to buy a third as a user, at least that way I won't have to worry about using my knife of the month club knives.
And isn't the green MUCH better looking than the "red"?

I have a soft spot in my heart, NOT HEAD, for the BM Ares. I have an idea that this is one of the best designs that has come out of the Axis lock family. The newer colors for the handles are an improvement although I really had no problem with the red/black 730. I do not currently own one but may have to remedy that soon. I passed on the oppurtnity to buy a black handled model and may see if it is still available. Except forr the price I would like to have a Frank Recuppreo (sp) version. At least I think he is the artist.

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

I probabably would have bought red eventually had the green not came out. But when it did, I couldn't help my self. (I'm glad the black didn't come out before the green or I would have ended up with that one).
Artsig. What do you mean that you don't have a place for it in your head? It's a great design, wonderfully functional, and feels great to carry and use. It is as logically sophisticated as it is aethetically pleasing IMO.

Do you guys think it could hold up to hard use? Not abuse, only use. I think it's such a pretty (yes I said pretty) knife. I still have a love for my new Griptilian. That was my EDC befor the 735

USAFSP.........YES .........<
smile.gif
>

------------------
teacher

Oh yeah, it should hold up beautifully, take a look at the tip, it's much stronger than it may initially appear.

------------------
"Never let your morals get in the way of doing what's right" -Hari Seldon, Foundation, -Aasimov

I carried it all day today, and I am really becoming attached to this knife. Except for cutting my pants at work (long story), I am happy with it. Let's see if I stay with it. I put my 550 back in the box, and am gonna ignore my 800 when it gets here this week. I must be sick in the head if I am making such a fuss over a knife.

If you are it must be 'catching'. I've got the same symptoms!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
teacher

Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one loosing his mind over a knife. BTW, 2 days, and I'm still carrying the 735.(that's a record for me). My Griptilian was crying last night from neglect. I rationalized, that the 550 is a pre-pro and numbered, and the 735 isn't. That makes the Griptilian more of a collectable. Is that a good excuse? 2 More days till my new 800 AFCK get here though. I don't think I will even unwrap it. Excuse? It's discontinued, and is collectabe. I sound like an alcoholic that can't stop(no offense to those who are out there) making excuses for drinking. I need professional help. I'm a Benchaholic!!!!

It has taken me a long time, and that surely because of my denseness. But, I finally figured out why I get so frustrated with threads about BM knives. My primary source of info on knives has always been Knife Center. I'm learning that 1SKS shouldn't be ignored. But, the problem I'm having is that KC always uses the model name, and virtually all the discussion here uses the model #. I simply don't have the memory to learn both.

Spyderco has numbers for all their models, and they are occasionally used, mostly when a colloborator has 2 models. But, by and large, all talk of Spydies is done using the name of the knife.

Virtually all knife magazine reviews use the name of the knife, not it's model #, unless the review is of a custom maker who has 5 fighter models or something.

Not that I'm paranoid or anything, but can't help but wonder if there isn't a bit of the "cognicenti" sort of situation, where BM fans use the numbers to befuddle us who aren't as familiar?? Of course that isn't so -- so why does most discussion here use only the #s?

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

Pergatory,
I agree with you on the design and function, and it was easy to carry. I meant that I did not have a soft spot in my head, although I know some people who might disagree!

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

USAFSP,
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Do you guys think it could hold up to hard use? Not abuse, only use.</font>
Mine holds up with flying colors for more than year of use (not abuse
wink.gif
)
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I need professional help. I'm a Benchaholic!!!!</font>
I'm not surprised at all. Luckily this is not too hurting for general health, much more hurting for wallet's thickness. Please don't try their 940 Osborne, this could be deadly experience
biggrin.gif

Back