Benchmade Benchmade Bugout blade angle

I recently bought a benchmade 535 bugout and just got to the point where I feel I need to hone the blade. I put it in my wicked edge sharpener and it seems the angle it wants to rest at is 14 degrees but my sharper only goes to 15. I found this out using the sharpie trick. Also, I thought such an acute angle was reserved for chef knives and things of that nature. Basically I am just looking to know if this is a mistake from the factory or are the 535's always at this acute of an angle? Thanks.

Some go down to 10° nowadays... Because some want their folders shaving sharp. But imo it is OK if you sharpen it at 15 or even you could basically get it up to 20° and still have something that cuts very well. It really depend on what uses your knife is going to serve.
images

I routinely use knives below 15 degrees per side for daily use, and no damage yet. I’ll go as low as I can without damage.

If you liked the performance at 14°, you probably won’t notice it cutting any differently at 15°. I certainly wouldn’t want to go more obtuse unless you got edge damage from normal use.

That said, imagine if you went 12° And didn’t get damage! It would cut like a laser! That’s how I got hooked on acute angles anyway.

^
Like what Murray Carter said, go as low as it holds up. If it gets damaged, adding a little bit of microbevel at higher angle, until it stop getting damages. That’s the thinnest possible approach.

Sharpmaker is 30 and 40inclusive and i use 40all the time as secondary bevel but most of my knives are thinned behind the edge ,and even 40whittles hair and holds up with no problem and cuts like laser.Thickness behind edge plays big part in how well knife cuts

Back