Benchmade logo patina

hey there everyone. Has anyone else have Benchmade BK knives where the logo is aging and turning rust/brownish color? Is that just the knife rusting or is the paint aging?

Thank you any insight.

Cheers

I have dozens of BM knives, many over 2 decades old - and none of them have any discoloration on the logo, beyond what 20 years of use will add.

You may have a knock-off made with cheap steel/cheap logo etching, or the blade just may be dirty. Try cleaning the blade/logo with a light solvent (Windex, Simple Green, isopropyl alcohol).

Last edited:
I have dozens of BM knives, many over 2 decades old - and none of them have any discoloration on the logo, beyond what 20 years of use will add.

You may have a knock-off made with cheap steel, or the blade just may be dirty. Try cleaning the blade/logo with a light solvent (Windex, Simple Green, isopropyl alcohol).
Roger that. I will give that a try and report back. Thank you

Used isopropyl alcohol and that worked really well. I guess the true test would be send it off to HQ for a sharpen and see if it comes back!

As you could probably tell I am new to the collection of Benchmade…I have a bunch now and only two not from Blade HQ.

Next question. On older Benchmade were there ever any logos printed without the copy right R circle on the bottom right?

Thanks again for the input.

Cheers.

If it's a non stainless steel with a coated blade, it can rust at the logo and other markings. What type of steel is it?

My buddy sent me his Bailout in M4 for sharpening. He’s not exactly the type to care for his knives as meticulously as most of us. The BM butterfly logo did rust, assuming because the protective Cerakote was removed during lasering, leaving the bare metal exposed. A little oil and some elbow grease cleaned it up pretty well.

If it's S30V, which can lightly rust in the right conditions, it should clean up pretty easily.

Back