benchmade mini ritter & large m-390

Ahh just caved and bought an orange mini. I'm friggin stoked :eek::cool:

I couldn't take it anymore... I can't let you guys have all the fun :p This is my second post MAP new knife BM purchase (along with a 940-1)... There are times when I cannot resist and buy brand new :) Thanks Mr Ritter and KW by helping make all this possible.

My KW order includes an OD green RAT2 also... Two great users in one KW care package!

Are they in stock now? I'm not finding them.

Search is funny. I forget whether you need to search for deathgrips (one word) or death grips. One or the other will work.

Edit - looks like they're o/s right now...get 'em here. Highly recommended.

Just got these in from Ryan, DOAT, went on fairly easily and look great and feels great too, they are a little smoother than I thought they'd be but that'll work itself out

Here's a quick shot of what comes in the packet when you get it

These are full size Ritter Grip scales, Black with Coyote brown

Ritter_Grip_black_coyotebrown.jpg

and some assembled shots

blade_open.jpg

clipside.jpg

guardside.jpg

spineside.jpg

Excellent fit and finish on this set.
G2

Last edited:
I hadn't been following this thread and now that I've looked in and seen all of this Mini Grip love, it feels like a frenzied neccessity to purchase one of the RGs (and some scales) :eek:

Never tried a Mini. Is it a must try with some custom scales? Is asking just a ritual formality intended to justify a foregone conclusion???

I hadn't been following this thread and now that I've looked in and seen all of this Mini Grip love, it feels like a frenzied neccessity to purchase one of the RGs (and some scales) :eek:

Never tried a Mini. Is it a must try with some custom scales? Is asking just a ritual formality intended to justify a foregone conclusion???

Yes try one. Then try another with custom scales. If you are justifying one, why not two?

The Mini arrived today, very nice, small, hence the name Mini ;) but still you can get a solid grip on the handle. And being a smaller set of scales it doesn't echo as much as the larger ones did, so in that I think that these scales will be fine and not needing to be replaced, at least any time soon :)

One minor thing that surprised me, while the blade is thinner than the full size, the edge bevel was thicker and also wasn't nearly as sharp, maybe it was a Friday in Oregon? In any case it sharpened up nice but had to go back and sharpen it at a little less angle to get it to push cut down through thick leather well enough.

SO, now I have the full size with custom scales and the mini, but I'm not sure which I'll keep, have to sleep on it. I had bought the full size and then went for the scales thinking I'd just have that, but impulse bought that mini, impulse's can be a bad thing at time eh?

I'll take some comparison shots later on.
G2

G2, I'm glad you got a chance to "evaluate" both size for yourself. As many has mentioned that Mini Grip's handle doesn't have the impression of "flex" in large size Griptilian. I am good with ergo, but the small size did make me uneasy to wield a blade, especially I am concerned about thrust cuts. The bolster doesn't seems to be large enough in such action. But some may not consider that to be a part of mini Grip usage. M390 with saber grind makes excellent chopper / slicer.

As always, YMMV.

Indeed it was good to check both sizes out and I've decided that I'll be parting ways with the large and keeping the small.

The small just feels proper I think, for most EDC chores that I'd be want to do, while the blade edge is just a tad thicker at the bevel, it'll work it's way thinner over time with sharpenings, right now it is sharpened up very sharp!

I do need to polish up the washers on the small as it's a bit sluggish and could be smoother to open, again I think just the newness of it is all.

G2

Last edited:
Here's some comparison photos of the large and small Ritter M390, the large has custom G10 scales by Death of All Things;

Grip_side.jpg~original

Grip_Blades.jpg~original

Grip_Spines.jpg~original

Grip_Blades_stacked.jpg~original

Both are really nice knives!!
G2

I do need to polish up the washers on the small as it's a bit sluggish and could be smoother to open, again I think just the newness of it is all.

G2

Gary, I noticed that on my large and small. I think some of it is the stonewashed finish on the tang lobe. It just isn't as smooth as the semi-polished surface on the regular blades.

Gary, I noticed that on my large and small. I think some of it is the stonewashed finish on the tang lobe. It just isn't as smooth as the semi-polished surface on the regular blades.

+1 on that. It takes only a dozen of opening and soon it will be lot smoother.

Yep, I saw that, in fact rubbed that tang area with my fine ceramic stone and could also see that it wasn't entirely flat on one side, but wasn't going to try and work that out, it's a lot smoother now but I think the large works so much better because of the heavier blade that gravity helps it along when you go to open and close.

The small I can flip open easily now but it still has trouble flipping close.

G2

Last edited:
Exactly, and for me at least, I don't feel the need of getting any new scales for this mini version, seems to handle and feel just fine the way it sits and the clip that came on it was much tighter than the one that came on the large one, so I didn't need to try and bend it down either!
G2

Finally got mine in yesterday, along with a buddy. All I did was swap out the clip for a matte finish one. Perfect and razzzzzor sharp!

002_zpsc68157c2.jpg

Here's my full size -
Custom laminate by Ben Sweet - Green Linen/White Paper Micarta, three hourglass standoffs and all satin hardware.

Back