Benchmade sharpening angle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
940 that I had some time ago was about 35 inclusive new from the factory.

I've sent knives in for service only twice (never yet to Benchmade), but I always put a note NOT to sharpen my knife. From what I've read, manufacturers sometime remove too much metal, sometimes change the preferred angle etc. Unless the edge is badly damaged, I'd rather sharpen it myself.

std german chef knife is 40° inclusive and it's supposed to cut food on a "soft" board. 30 inclusive is the standard on "high end" japanese kitchen cutlery (mass produced see shun, they come at 16°/side from factory) and with the same use people often think they are fragile. i don't see why 60° on a folder sounds so surprising... with the right (thin) grind most of us won't even notice the difference betwen 60 and 30 bevel in daily use. except chipping resistance and edge retention.

edit :what did yoou use to measure ?

benchmade hand sharpens knives, to approx 15-18 degrees per side, which would be around 30 degrees inclusive.

-Freq

Benchmade has no way of knowing what angle they are sharpening at, 15-18 deg ? yeah, show me a consistent batch of that and I'll give you my next check.

Using a factory edge as a base for angle and sharpness is always the first mistake.

My AFCK M4 came sharp, but with a wide angle. I estimated it at 50 degrees inclusive. It took a long time to reprofile it to 30 degrees inclusive and the edge was much wider when I did so.

I used to think my 710 had a problem with the steel since I could not get it sharp using my Sharpmaker set at 40degrees. Once I fianlly got around to marking the blade with a permanent marker I found that it was only hitting the shoulder of the edge. Took quite a bit of work to reprofile it but once done it will work great on the Sharpmaker. My 940 was much better and a better angle for touch-ups.

The last 4 Benchmades I had were both new and came out in the past 6 months. A couple of bone collectors, a orange grip, and black/orange griptilian. All 4 were pretty much at 15 per side, one of the bone collectors was more like 17 at the tip, but that took no time to fix.

I just typed this in another post, but I copied this off the Benchmade FAQ page:
"The key is to maintain the edge angles on the blade. Our knife blades leave the factory with a 30-35 degree inclusive angle. We recommend you use our LifeSharp™ service. This is a great way to get your knife sharpened, but to also have our qualified technicians service it for optimal performance."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back