Best custom tactical knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to buy a fixed-blade custom tactical knife, and I am quite ignorant when it comes to cutlery. I am looking at the Wilson Combat tactical 2, it can be found at http://www.wilsoncombat.com/tacticalknives/T2.htm
What are the best materials, I want something that is very impact resistant and keeps it's blade. Is there anyone who would make a knife of that design with some changes for me? If so, how much would it cost. Thanks for all your help. James

[This message has been edited by rifleer1 (edited 01-30-2000).]

Hi Rifleer,

Checked the site you mentioned. Beware of the hype that is contained on this site. Model 1 is the strongest knife in the world, no, it's not Check out Edmond Davidson or Mike Sakmar's integral work. Also, the Model 1 has 440C, not a good steel for a big tactical knife (440V, BG-42, 420V, D-2 or 3V would be better choices for this knife, depending on what you want the knife to do).

Also, finger grooves are great, if they fit "your" fingers. He should just leave the Model 14 and 15 to Randall and let them make it.

His model 4 is overpriced for what it is. Check out Bob Dozier's, Newt Livesay, Greco, Griffith, Hatin, Rinaldi or Strider Knives, work on a knife like this. Same can be said for his model 3.

His number 2 has a couple design flaws in the guard and his rockwell on the D-2 is way to high. Consequently, steel will be prone to chipping. Keep D-2 around 59Rc and it will serve you well.

Question time.

First, primarily what will the knife be used for?

Second, what is your budget for this project.

Les

[This message has been edited by Les Robertson (edited 01-30-2000).]

Yep, I think Les hit it dead on. Listen to him. I looked at the site. It would seem that you could do better. Bob Dozier is cheaper, and many respected people on this forum speak VERY highly of his knives. I have only handled them, but I am impressed. Lynn Griffith is another one to look at. I have a Tracker, super knife, and very high quality. Chris Reeve line of fixed blades. Same ballpark price, and proven quality.

Richard

How about this one...

img13.jpg

CPM-3V steel, 8" blade, 13" OAL, weight 8 oz. 416 Stainess bolsters, Black Canvas Micarta Handle. Balance point is mid bolster. Very quick.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
knifemaker
www.hossom.com

WHHOOO-EEEEEEE!!!!!

That is one KILLER knife Jerry!! What freaks me out is the weight...8 oz!! I think 'quick' is a little bit of an understatement.
biggrin.gif

Uh...if you're looking for the best custom tactical knife...just scroll up baby,just scroll up. Better order from Jerry before his waiting list gets too long!

[This message has been edited by MrG (edited 01-31-2000).]

In an effort to produce the strongest, most indestructible knife available, the Tactical Model 1 is fully machined from a solid 1" X 2" X 12" piece of 440C stainless bar stock. Put all of this together and you have one of the strongest knives, if not the strongest, on the market.

i fail to see where he claims it's the strongest in the world? "IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE ONE OF THE STRONGEST KNIVES" no credit for effort eh Les?

rifleer1 didnt even mention the #1 but you attack the finger grooves anyway. nice attitude there. leave it to randall! only they know how to do finger grooves right!

his #2 has a couple design flaws in the guard area? according to who, Les? oh yes i forgot, you are the master designer of knives. his #4 is too high priced for what it is! jesus why not just tell everyone it's all ugly junk,Les?

sheesh! the guy asks for a little advice on someone's knives and you tear down every model they make?! another nice display of "i know everything there is to know about knives" les.

rifleer1,

if you like that model and want a few changes, ask them if they can accomodate you. ask what steels are available for the model you want and see what they offer. if not, then look to other custom makers and i am sure you will find what you are looking for.

tim

Tim,

Once again you know not of what you speak.

Design flaw on number 2 is the points on the end of the guard will gouge your hand should it slip forward. This leads to the other design flaw, the guard should have more of an internal radius. This allows the hand to fit more securely against the guard. There by increasing the level of safety and decreasing the fatigue of long term use of this knife. Tim as a knifemaker Im surprised you missed this. I guess only we "master designers" or ELU's would be able to see something like this.

Numbers 3 & 4 are overpriced in todays market. There are other custom knife makers out there who either make a better knife or have a knife of equal quality for less money. I listed alternative choices for Rifleer to chose from. After all I belive that is what he was asking for.

Tim, not every knife is a work of art. Nor is every knife worth the money the maker asks for it.

Tim, Ugly Junk are your words. I said neither about the knives. The man asked for an opinion I gave it to him. I think you would agree that there are many knife makers out there overcharging for their work just because they think it might be as good as some well known makers work. At this point, Wilson is trying to use his name in the firearm market to cross over to the custom knife market. This explains the marketing style and the cost of the knives.

Tim, I appreciate the compliment of being called a master designer. As of Jan 22nd of this year, 10 of my exclusive Vanguard designs have been photographed for articles in magazines. Also, two other exclusive Vanguard designs have alreay appeared. Couple that with the 25 LDC Exclusive Designs that appeared in two different magazines and gained a cover. One other knife, the Krait, has also been published. Thats 38 Exclusive Designs in 3 years that have appeared in 3 different International Knife and Firearm publications. Currently, another 12 designs are underway and all of these will be out by the end of the year, and most will find their way into magazines.

Tim instead of coming on here and taking shots at me, why don't you try and answer the man's questions about knives.

Les

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea for knifemakers to be criticizing other knifemakers or their work, period. Most all knives and designs are subject to some improvement (mine included), and what constitutes good design or good steel or good anything else is mostly a matter of opinion anyway.

Lighten up guys...

------------------
Jerry Hossom
knifemaker
www.hossom.com

Ah, I was getting to miss you, Les! (Honestly! Where you been?)

As with most similar "request for info" posts, I went to the linked page before reading anyone else's comments.

My thoughts matched Les' first post. IMHO, these knives are of a relatively inferior steel, hardened improperly, and overpriced for the market. I'm not saying they're bad, but rather that there are better available for the money.

James stated up front that he's not too knowledgable, so I don't think he should take Les' honest opinion as an attack or an insult. These knives are marketed (hyped) well, and they are expensive for what they are. James was wise to check these claims against the experts, and for his effort, he received an expert's opinion.

Rifleer1 welcome. Don't get caught up in the back and forth over Les' manner (there will be plenty of other times for that!
wink.gif
). His opinion is honest, and it does come from an expert.

------------------
AKTI Member #A000832

"That which does not kill me just postpones the inevitable."

Les,

Have you ever actually handled one of Ryan's knives?

I have. He's actually a good friend, super-talented pistolsmith, and one hell of a self-taught knifemaker. All at the ripe ol' age of 22. No doubt his knives will improve with age.

They are very nicely constructed and the fit/finish on the integrals is very, very good.

Sheathwork is also 1st class.

Where else can I get a handmade integral with a sharkskin sheath for under $400?
(and don't say Chris Reeve...)

Before you pass a harsh judgement, handle one. The picture only tells part of the story.

I am surprised you don't sell the Wilson Combat Knives Les as there is a very hefty dealer discount.

I am sure that would probably override many of the "design issues" you are facing.

All in good sport,

Anthony

les,

yes, only you know of what you speak:p forgive me once again.
again as always you are the know it all and every aspect of every type of knife known to man.

why dont you practice what you preach? rifleer1 asked about one model, yet you insult each and every model on the site.

wow! you designed all those? funny i never heard of Les Robertson Design on so many knives. gee, would you design a bunch for me? i would list all my photos and coverage in magazines too but i dont really see any point as i am sure you would find fault in that too.

i am not taking shots at you all the time, les. it just amazes me how some ppl feel their opinion and knowledge is the only one of importance and everyone else is wrong.

just curious, have you ever said aything nice to or about anyone? i remember when i first came to these forums, you attacked me without ever even knowing anything about me or my knives. until being here i never even heard of you. so who took shots at who??

again this will probably go in one ear and out your other as usual. sorry i wasted my time even responding to the knife god.

tim

Thanks for the help guys, don't worry about the bickering, I've been a member at the AR-15 forums for a while, and you get used to it, just good ol' debating. The knife I get will be used for all purposes, I am looking at a smaller knife now, one that could double as a good throwing knife. I am going to check out the warranty that Wilson has, and if he seems to back his product I might test it with a model 3, and if not I will go to someone else and see if they will make a model 3 for me. Thanks for everything, James

Throw it? Please don't throw it. Almost any hardened tool steel doesn't like that. Throwing knives are usually soft steel and balanced for throwing. They just don't cut very well if at all.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
knifemaker
www.hossom.com

Anthony,

When I look at knives I look at value for the money. I have always done this and will continue to do so.

When you buy a knife you buy what you like and don't worry about the consequences. That is how is should be.

My reality, is that every day I talk to people who are irritated that they bought the knife that they did. Mind you, no one held a gun to their head. But as men, our pride in knowing what is and what is not a good anything at time superseeds rational thought.

Consequently, we talk ourselves into knives at times that, because we think we know whats what, we purchase them. Only to realize that when we go to sell these knives that we were the only one who really loved the knife.

While that should not be a big deal, the reality is it is. Most of us are not independantly wealthy. When we put $200 or $300 into a knife only to find out it is not worth that on the aftermarket, both our pride and wallet are hurt.

Anthony, I have never met Ryan, I have never handled his knives. Im sure he is a great guy and a gifted pistol smith. However, his ability as a pistol smith gives him no credibility in custom knives. It's just a statement of fact.

Reputation is one of the factors that figures into the desireablity equation in the after market. At this point he has none. Doesn't mean he can't get one.

Anthony, I think you would agree that the makers I listed earlier in the thread would be more well known in knife circles than Ryan. Not because the make a better knife, but because they have name recognition. Again, it does not mean that Ryan will not achive this should he decide to continue with custom knives.

Buck tried to have a custom knife shop. It was unsuccessful. Scattergun tried a project with Bob Terzuola, it as well was unsuccessful. Most of the gun manufacturers who have become involved with knives do so at the factory level. HK, Colt, Berretta, Smith and Wesson, etc. They do this because they understand for the most part that gun people are gun people and knife people are knife people. This does not mean that there is not cross over.

In addition to being a custom knife dealer, I also have a Federal Firearms License. Most of the firearms I have gotten in the last few years have been gun people trading for custom knives. So I know the cross over exsists.

As for your comment about a hefty discount overiding my problems with his designs. I thought you knew me better than that. Money is not my motivating factor. If it was, I could make a lot more of it doing something else. I know you didnt mean it that way, but please do not insult me like that in the future.

As you say Im sure his knives will get better. If you ever have one or can point me to one at a show I would love to look at it.

Anthony, thanks for the post.

Les

Tim,

First let me say I am still waiting for you to give me the names of customers that would be interested in buying your integral knives at $600 -$700 apiece. I have asked you for this over the last several months and you have never responded. Why is that??

As for my design work, I put either LDC or Vanguard on these knives. Because I was instrumental in the design, this is what has limited the makers from making their own version of this knife. With the exception of the Sebenza by Reeve in our first two series of LDC Folders. You will note that the rest of thes knives were not in the makers inventory before or after the series. Additionally, there are several other knives that are sold exclusively through me. Some of the makers include, Dave Broadwell, Scott Sawby, Darrel Ralph, Brian Tighe, and Greg Lightfoot to name a few.

As for knowing all aspects of custom knives. Tim, I have never made this claim. However, I continue to learn about as many aspects of custom knives as I can. This enhances my ability to remain versitile in a ever changing custom knife market. This is a skill that you should look into acquiring.

With that said, feel free to contact me off line. Tim, there is no secret to my success. It's hard work, combined with the implementation of sound business skills.

Les

As for designing knives for you, I can do that. Working with me would probably help get you back into the knife magazines from which you or your work has been absent for many years.

Les,

You should just go buy one.

Like I said, I think you will be impressed and so will your customers.

No offense meant, and an insult wasn't intended. Just remember, some of have more than 2 or 3 knives in our closets to make comparisons with.

A.L

Well if I were to be so bold as to tiptoe outside the flame wars. I would like to cast my vote on Jerry Hossom. He is my #1 fave designer out there second to none, when I saw his knife I didn't know who, how famous, or even what his name was - i fell in love. I am still eagerly awaiting my piece from him but the reviews he gets from fellow martial artists is just astounding and mouth watering.

THe main kicker and why Jerry is the man in my book is that he is also a down to earth nice guy who will take the time to talk over yoru design to relaly make it yours.. you wont get a knife with some funky filework (although he does that , engraving and skrimshaw) so that you can call your knife a one of a kind. If you want to invest the time in designing with him he will make this knife yours and yours alone.

however if you wait too long like MrG said, he might get too busy, but i do not doubt he will make time for you.

and MrG I knew we had lots of stuff in common - didnt know you were a hossom fan too.
smile.gif
so how's the wife?

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html
</A> If you play with love you will be heartbroken; if you play with knives you will [bleed]

les

for the second time now....please read carefully...i would think it very unethical to give you or anybody else my client list for you to insult my knives and work too. or to peddle knives like a door to door salesman. also because i respect my clients and would hate to see you pester them. that's why! got it this time? so, you will be waiting for a very long time.

and if you are such a great dealer how is it that you cant sell my knives at regular the price??? $600-700? they get scratched up or run over something? as i said before, i sure dont have any knives laying around here so i guess many collectors disagree with you on their value
biggrin.gif

i dont think i need your help getting into the magazines again. also i am quite happy with my designs. i havent seen any design of yours that i would want to make and i really dont want to be associated with you in magazines or anywhere else.

enough wasted breath on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back