Best damn Multi-tool! Experts, come out of the woodwork.

Carpdiem said:
I'm a relatively recent owner of a swisstool spirit pro (a month and a half). Before that, I owned an old-style leatherman wave for many years.

The swisstool is unbeatable. While I've had it, it's seen extensive use everywhere from a construction site to a particle physics laboratory. It's part of my EDC, and it just disappears on my belt. I've seen screwdriver bits on Gerbers just bend under force that my swisstool laughs at.

Swisstool, simply the best :-D

LOL...Great line on the Gerbers......
Kap

I always thought that LM was the best, but I have noticed 3 groups of people. There are those he love LM. Those who love Victorinox. And then the group who like the lesser brands like SOG or Gerber.
It is making it very difficult for me to decide now. Everyone has very good points. I have a question for those who favor Victorinox. I honestly didn't really know they made multi-tools. I don't know where they sell them around in my town. Anyway, what do you guys like about Victorinox over Leathermans?

I personally find the fit and finish of the Victorinox tools to be far superior to Leatherman's offerings, and I own 6 or 7 Leathermans. Swiss craftsmanship at its best, from a company with more mass market production knowledge than any other knife company. I've also found the rust resistance to be much greater on the Victorinox stuff.

Leatherman has good stuff, don't get me wrong. I just don't think they're in the same league with Victorinox. Vic is as far above Leatherman as Leatherman is above Gerber.

I have some shining examples from all of the three major groups recently mentioned - SOG, Leatherman, and Victorinox. I suppose if I could personally create my own "perfect" multi-tool, then I would most surely take some features from each manufactor, while also trying my best to avoid some major drawbacks from each as well.

From the Victorinox I would take the implements. I have the blunt nosed plain Swisstool. Definitely superb quality and overall performance. The cutters are a bit short for the work I do though (I use cutters and crimpers all day, every day at work) and lacking a true crimper area is a real shortcoming. The blades and implements though absolutely outperform every other multi tool I've ever put my hands on.

The SOG has the best plier strength (thanks to the gear thingys) and the cutters cut through every type of wire possible - big, little, solid, stranded, cable, etc. The crimpers have the strength of full sized T+B crimpers - love both of those features. On the down side though, the implements are pretty crappy. If I really need a screwdriver or blade or such, then the SOG just isn't going to cut it.

Finally we come to what I EDC currently - a Leatherman Supertool 200. I've acquired numerous Leatherman models over the years, but I think that the supertool 200 out performs them all. I'm sure I'll offend many by saying this, but I think that a lot of the features and designs of the newer models are too flashy and seem to be more like a gimmick rather than a good quality product change. I think the supertool 200 represents smart and useful design changes rather than shiny, flashy, looks pretty on the shelf changes. My primary reason for toting the supertool is that the cutters and crimpers work pretty dang good - not as good as the SOG, but better than the Vic. The implements are not as good as the Vic, but definitely beat the SOG and quite often negate the need for toting a lot of extra tools for lighter jobs. So for me, the supertool seems to strike a pretty good balance between all the models and brands that I admire. So, is Leatherman better than Victorinox, is Sog better, .... truth is, I think that they're all fine products and the "best" brand and model really just depend on exactly what your plans and interests are.

Since I use the pliers and the wire cutters the most I go for SOG. The one hand opening comes in handy and the other tools are good enough for what I need. :)

deathshead said:
I always thought that LM was the best, but I have noticed 3 groups of people. There are those he love LM. Those who love Victorinox. And then the group who like the lesser brands like SOG or Gerber.
It is making it very difficult for me to decide now. Everyone has very good points. I have a question for those who favor Victorinox. I honestly didn't really know they made multi-tools. I don't know where they sell them around in my town. Anyway, what do you guys like about Victorinox over Leathermans?

Looks like I am about to find out.

For the past decade, by way of multitools I have handled and used only several models of Leatherman. Altho I have been aware of the Victorinox reputation, my Leathermen have done so well that I was never motivated to look elsewhere. But then along came an incredible deal, so this afternoon I took ownership of a Swisstool I didn't really need but couldn't pass up.

My first impression has been very favorable. This is a solid piece, well designed and beautifully made. It will be my EDC for the next few weeks and I am looking forward to a good test drive. But from the standpoint of materials and workmanship it is already obvious why the Swisstool is so highly regarded. Now let's see how well it functions.

Back in a few.

deathshead said:
I have a question for those who favor Victorinox. I honestly didn't really know they made multi-tools. I don't know where they sell them around in my town. Anyway, what do you guys like about Victorinox over Leathermans?

The victorinox spirit is pocketable, and for me that's a big deal because I don't like carrying things on my belt. I don't own a LM, but I have coworkers who have them. (That is, they used to have them before converting to the spirit). I found their LMs to be clunky and heavy . . . and not pocketable. YMMV.

Andy

I really want to look into the Spirit. Saw it on their website. I never really knew how much many of those multi-tools weigh and I would think it would be uncomfortable both in the pocket or on the belt wear. Does anybody know where I could handle the Victorinox line at. Like at a Wal-Mart or Target or some place.

I have no experience with the Swisstools, but have carried some form of Victorinox knife for many years for the tools, usually having a single blade folder on hand for general cutting tasks. I also carried an original Leatherman WAVE for some time and while it was good, the blade was soft and theere was quite a bit of torsional flex in the design. Even with that, the WAVE was a useful tool that packed a lot in a portable package.

Leatherman products have always served me reliably as have Victorinox knives.

I will not likely own another SOG product after the experience I had with not one, but two defective Mini Tool Clipits and the poor customer service I received.

These days, I tend to have a well rounded mix. I always have a Leatherman Micra in a custom leather money clip that holds the Micra as well as a Fisher space pen. It rides in my right front pocket along with whatever clipped folder I'm carrying.

In my left front pocket, there's always a Vic Cybertool 29. It's got a lot of tools that mesh well with what's in the Micra and doesn't take up too much room in my pocket. Then there's usally a new WAVE in my laptop case if I'm working or a Charge Ti on my belt if it's a day off. I traded a Charge Xti for the Ti because to me the scissors were more useful than an extra bit driver and I didn't like the hook blade ground into the back of the main blade. I think the Charge Ti kicks ass. It's solid, has a real knife blade and a geat asortment of tools. I like it!

YMMV

Looks like that everyone who has handled a Leatherman and a Victorinox says the Victorinox is a step ahead. I guess that is what I will be buying. Now Tad Gear has a special on the Spirit Plus for $58. Is that a good deal. I will do a little research but I would like to know from you guys.

deathshead said:
Looks like that everyone who has handled a Leatherman and a Victorinox says the Victorinox is a step ahead. I guess that is what I will be buying. Now Tad Gear has a special on the Spirit Plus for $58. Is that a good deal. I will do a little research but I would like to know from you guys.

Here's a better deal - and it benefits FelineVet's 501(c)3 charitable foundation! Help the kitties! Click here!

- Tim

Both of deals appear to be for the wrench instead of the ratchet. The new plus ratchet model now comes with an extension for the ratchet instead of the corkscrew. Thats the version I am on the lookout for at a good price.

gatch said:
Both of deals appear to be for the wrench instead of the ratchet. The new plus ratchet model now comes with an extension for the ratchet instead of the corkscrew. Thats the version I am on the lookout for at a good price.

Got it. eMail me at fveap@earthlink.net

So there are models with a ratchet instead of the corkscrew? Where can I get a good deal on the ratchet version?

Charge Ti is IMHO the best out there.

I had the SOG Powertool, but sold it when I got the Charge. The "geared" pliars on the SOG are the only plus over the charge.

I found the power tools' knife blade to be too thin and I really do not like the fact that it is only sharpened on one side of the blade. To me it is useless.

The Charge comes with several interchangeable bits that I use daily and the blade is 154CM.:thumbup:

Hi Deathshead,

Here is a review that I wrote for the Victorinox Coolectors Club that may answer some of your questions on the Spirit

The New SwissTool Spirit
Joe Wright – 12/5/04

My fascination with Victorinox Swiss Army knives also extends to that rather broad category of things called “multitools”. What is a multitool? I have seen this question debated endlessly on the various blade forums that are posted on the Internet without any resolution. My definition (which I will no doubt bend one day) is a device opening in a way to act as a leverage system for either pliers or scissors.

In addition to collecting the various products from Victorinox, my knife room also contains multitools made by Buck and Leatherman with examples of others that appealed to me. Naturally, there are also a few Victorinox multitools including the SwissTool and the AutoTool in that room.

When Doug Dillman, owner of Freeport Knife in Freeport Maine told me that Victorinox was looking at a new multitool design to compliment the SwissTool, I was really delighted. While the SwissTool is acknowledged by many multitool fans to be perhaps the most rugged of the market offerings, it is heavy. I was especially delighted to hear that this tool was intended to compliment rather than replace the existing SwissTool.

Information regarding this new multitool from Victorinox began to appear on the Internet last spring. Several European Victorinox dealers posted pictures and information regarding this multitool at that time. The multitool also received its name, the “SwissTool Spirit”. Naturally, the anticipated delivery times posted on the web slipped as might be expected with a new product like this. I asked Doug to get me one as soon as he could so I might work with it and share my thoughts with the members of the Victorinox Swiss Army Collectors Society.

For those who attempt to catalog the Victorinox offering using product numbers, the SwissTool Spirit has both European and North American numbers based upon the sheath material. Here is what I have at present for these:

European Number North American Number
Leather Sheath 3.0227.L 53800
Nylon Sheath 3.0227.N 53805

Clearly, the folks at Victorinox wanted a smaller (and lighter) version of the SwissTool when they started out to design the Spirit. They have succeeded as this table shows:

Weight Length
SwissTool 9 ¾ oz. 4 ½”
SwissTool Spirit 7 ¼” oz 4 ¼”

Some might think that the slight reduction in length wasn’t much of an achievement. However, physics being physics, the moment arm length determines the amount of plier grip. In my view, this slight reduction helped in the weight reduction without sacrificing gripping ability. As to the weight reduction – well, the folks at Victorinox sure made a great improvement in that category. As I’ve had mine on my belt for several weeks without scaring women or children due to my pants being dragged down, I’m happy.

OK, what does this tool look like? This is a Victorinox publicity photo which shows a real change which I applaud.

The first thing which probably strikes you is the curve on the plier handles. That, in combination with the great rolling job done in forming the handles make this the most comfortable of the 50 or so multitools that I own. Further, wet hands won’t slip toward the plier head as is the case with most multis. Great feature!

Now onto several other features to think about. The knife blade reminds me of the blade style found on many mariners’ knives. While the presence of a cutting edge is important on a rolling and wet ship’s deck, a pointed blade under severe sea conditions is a clear danger to the holder of the knife. It appears that Victorinox thought about that as the designed a multitool for all manner of uses. I’ve read lots of questions regarding this shape blade on the various knife boards. These lead me to wonder how many multitool owners have used them under severe weather and ambient conditions.

Another rather intriguing feature is the design of the scissors. Rather than use the traditional formed flat spring, Victorinox has come up with a robust bending beam design. I really like this as I think it has the potential to be far more durable than the flat spring. I wonder whether we will see this design replace all the scissors on the rest of the Victorinox line. Oh boy, new c-variations to collect!!!!

Like its predecessor, the Spirit has tools which open individually. As I look at the vast majority of the other multitools in my user collection, opening one tool may bring as many as four or five other tools with it. That is a royal pain when one is trying to get some work done. I have no doubt that this cost Victorinox a little extra to build into the tool, but I certainly appreciate this feature.

Like all of our Swiss Army toys, the Spirit comes with lots of features. Some may argue that a few of these are a bit imaginary, but I’ll list what all are in the following table. Naturally, I’ll start off with the original SwissTool to create a frame of reference.

Feature SwissTool SwissTool Spirit
Pliers Yes Yes
Screwdriver (2 mm) Yes Yes
Screwdriver (3 mm) Yes Yes
Wire Cutter (up to 40hrc) Yes Yes
Screwdriver (5 mm) Yes No
Bottle Opener Yes Yes
Screwdriver (7.5 mm) Yes No
Large Blade Yes No
Serrated Blade Yes Yes
Metal File Yes Yes
Metal Saw Yes Yes
Wood Saw Yes Yes
Reamer Yes Yes
Phillips Screwdriver Yes Yes
Chisel/Scraper Yes Yes
Strong Crate Opener Yes Yes
Wire Bender Yes Yes
Wire Stripper Yes Yes
Wire Crimper Yes No
Can Opener Yes Yes
Ruler (230 mm) Yes No
Ruler (9 inches) Yes No
Hard Wire Cutter Yes No
Lanyard Hole Yes Yes
Lock Release Yes Yes
Screwdriver (6 mm) No Yes
Scissors No Yes
Isulation Length Cutter No Yes
Wire Scraper/
Isulation Round Cutter No Yes
Multi Purpose Hook No Yes
Coupling for Corkscrew No Yes

Will I ever use all these features? Probably not, but I will use lots of them. As to the future, the little pamphlet that comes with the tool covers two additional releases planned for next year. If Dan finds this article worth publishing, you can count on reading about them as they become available.

As you have gathered from my remarks regarding my own multitool collection, I have lots of choices regarding what tool I will carry. At this time, I must say that the Spirit is high on my list for EDC. I’m looking forward to seeing what other treats Victorinox has in store for us in the multitool area. Wouldn’t a key ring sized tool with a lot less features be fun?

I suspect that most of you are not only collectors of Victorinox products, but also dedicated users of the same. I certainly fall into that category. A Huntsman has either sat in my pocket or on my belt for some 48 years or so. All I can say to you is that Victorinox has a winner with the Spirit for both the collector and the user. You really owe it to yourself to add one of these to either your collection or for your EDC.

Back