Best foam for shaping kydex

I was wondering what everyone is using to form their kydex sheaths. I want to set up my woodworkers vice with a set of aluminum plates and use it for pressing kydex sheaths. What does everyone suggest that I use for the foam rubber to get the greatest detail out of this kind of setup.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Paul

Cheap and easy? Exercise mat from WalMart / Target. Double it up, works well.

Oh and make sure you spray it with some WD-40 or some silicon spray as a release agent or it will transfer the mat color / coating to your Kydex...

In almost every thread concerning the best foam, it's usually mentioned that it eventually needs to be replaced for one reason or another. I tried the camping foam, and it did have permanent (slight) indentations with each use.
And it transfered color if the kydex was good and hot.

Then I tried some carpet pad (got it from a local carpet installer). I think that the high grade pad is fire resistant - because I can aim a heatgun directly at it and it seems impervious to it. It keeps it's shape perfectly, and at this point seems that it'll last forever. I wish that I could tell you what kind (or brand) padding it is, but have no clue. I do know that there are big differences in the cost of "cheap" carpet pad and expensive stuff.
I use two layers glued together on top and bottom.....and get nice detail in the kydex.
They throw tons of it away at a busy carpet place, and it's usually found behind the store.
hope this helps,
p. azz

i bought a sheath press from Knifekits and love it. they sell the foam, separately. i made my first press out of the blue camp pad from walmart.... i HATED it. this stuff is ALOT better (imo). it's only like 11bux IIRC

I have some kneeler pads from a farm supply store it`s dark grey almost black smooth foam they came in 15"X20" press cut with handhold cutout for only $2 each. The foam seems to take the heat pretty well it has some slight indents from use but it seems to be holding up .

To tell you the truth I use the foam sold by the knife supply companys and it is by far the best I have ever used. I tried the camp mat, exercise mat route and they were "ok" but no comparison to this stuff. I did well over 300 sheaths before getting a new set. Well worth it ten times over.

Back