Best Kitchen Knives Under $100

Fujiwara FKH and FKM series with Japanesechefsknife.com
If you do like someone a lot: Hiromoto AS 190mm santoku, $112 + $7 shipping IIRC

I have a Tojiro DP 210MM Petty knife ($69.95) and it's the one I use consistently. It's long enough to act like a chef's knife, but thin enough to transition from chopping vegetables to slicing meat. The steel is VG-10 and the handles are waterproof. A better all-around knife would be the Tojiro DP 210MM Gyuto, it's like a Japanese version of a chef's knife: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro-dp-f-8081.html

Look around www.chefknivestogo.com and sort by price range, then look at the reviews. That will give you a ton of options, plus videos and other stuff so you can see them in action. The Richmond Artifex line looks really cool; they're offered by the guy who runs the site. If you like kitchen knives, you'll be stuck there for hours, just a warning. I'm not affiliated with them at all, I just bought a couple of knives from them and they have been great.

Best doesnt exist withhout reference, without its only a hollow phrase.

To begin with style IS important. European style/ German or French? Or Japanese style? Stainless, high carbon? or something like VG10? Colaboration between European and Japanese or reverse? All pretty important. With European style the knife tip never leaves the board, more thicker knives less sharp as VG10 Japanese knives but because more thickness. European knives will have less degration on sharpness. European knives suits more family use , while the average Japanese knives are for more freehand use and needs more care but often can made sharper. etc etc.

How can you be the man that buys things for others or give advice to others while not knowing the basics of kitchen knives?

100 dollar for one knive or a set?

Please put some energy in it and make a framework of what you want. That will trigger much more intelligent discussion and more valuable recommendations. Instead of all the in the wild talking what you get now. Hope this will move you into the right direction.

::sigh::

One in every thread....

I have a Tojiro DP 210MM Petty knife ($69.95) and it's the one I use consistently. It's long enough to act like a chef's knife, but thin enough to transition from chopping vegetables to slicing meat. The steel is VG-10 and the handles are waterproof. A better all-around knife would be the Tojiro DP 210MM Gyuto, it's like a Japanese version of a chef's knife: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro-dp-f-8081.html

Look around www.chefknivestogo.com and sort by price range, then look at the reviews. That will give you a ton of options, plus videos and other stuff so you can see them in action. The Richmond Artifex line looks really cool; they're offered by the guy who runs the site. If you like kitchen knives, you'll be stuck there for hours, just a warning. I'm not affiliated with them at all, I just bought a couple of knives from them and they have been great.

That website is awesome - it could be a lot of trouble for my credit card, but I have it bookmarked. Thanks.

Tojiro knives are VG10 and they do a great job in fit, finish and heat treatment with them. I am very happy with my Gyoto and Western Deba.
My Warthers are in S35V. The blades are great, but you can find some very small gaps where the handle scales meet the steel. That is an easy fix. The blades are excellent, and I like my "outdoor" fishing knives that are 4 1/2" and 6". They cut like scalpels and are really great boning knives. I also have the 7" slicer. I recommend not getting the leather sheath for the outdoor knives, as there are better ones out there.
I prefer Japanese style blades for the chef knife. I would also prefer VG10 in the Tojiro to the AUS8 in some other Japanese blades.

Last edited:
So I just did my first edge touch up on the Vic Fibrox Chef. The edge didn't seem too substantial (as expected). But the flip side is that with maybe a dozen strokes on a steel rod that baby was hair popping sharp again. I like the ease of maintenance. I probably would like one of the VG10 options now a little better. Great ergos on the Vic tho.

image_zpsd2872739.jpg

Jkc carbonext series is an wesome value imho- and right at 100,-
From what I remember, the Carbonext knives are the same knives as made by Kikuichi, just differently named. Kikuichi is a top of the line knife company that has blades that run hundreds of dollars. I think they may have a 60/40 bevel on them, so it may be a little harder for someone to sharpen.

I checked out the Tojiro DP knives last night, and I must say I'm impressed. Also worth checking out are the Kai Seki knives. It looks very similar, and is apparently a lower priced offering made by Kai, but not typically sold/marketed to North America? The steel looks the same, and their prices seem to undercut the Tojiro DP knives by a few bucks right now. I must say I'm tempted by many of these.

Looks like I might need to find some more people to gift some kitchen knives for this Christmas season :p. I could order them now, play with and compare them for a few months, then choose the one I like best to keep and gift the rest :D.

Tojiro DP was highly recommended in several threat I read before
Cople people was calling it "one of mostly used" something like that
One of guys I remembered said that this knife he would never sell off

Before I started to by higher end knives (though not too much high:))
I was tried a bunch of German cutlery
I personally does not like henkeL it uncomfort in my hand

I like Wusthoff and still use several I'd them
Most of them cheap line silverpoint II. They are of laser cut not stamped
It make them thin and very light
They are better then scalpel
I was buying them in TJ Max and Marshals between 6 and 35 $ ( 35 for chief)

Which come to another question
What do you mean by under 100?

I have several shun classic and Tojiro flesh ( Damascus with vg10) under 100 but it smallest knives like 3.5 inch paring or beak
I also have one /wusthof-classic-ikon/hollow-edge-wunder-knife which I like a lot

customs the answer is always customs. Contrary to popular belief you can get a custom for around a hundred, just keep your eyes on the customs for sale area of this forum.

My kitchen knives are as follows from best to worst Vics, Dexter,Mundial, Kershaw.
These are mainly breaking and boning knives tho.

I think it was Tom the baker who did a thread on these a while back.

I found them on the river site for under fifty bucks for the set including a wood block.

They may not be the best but they sure are better than what I had.

I put a nice edge on them when they first arrived and they seem to be holding up fine.
A light pass on a ceramic rod every now and then keeps them screaming sharp.

Last edited:
If the recipient won't maintain and sharpen the knives, then you are wasting your time and money. Just get em some of those ever-sharp (Ginsu-type) knives with the micro serrations. Snark all you want, but those micro serration things work just fine (not my preference, but they are much better than a dull $100 Wustoff/Henckels chef knife that most yuppies try to pass off as a cutting instrument).

Here's an idea that will be much appreciated by most folks....offer to sharpen their existing knives yourself or locate a knife sharpening service and buy them a gift certificate to have them sharpened.

fillet_knife_yellow.jpg

offsetcake.jpg

If you want an off the shelf set, you could do a lot worse than something like this from Forschner/Victorinox about $120
6736.jpg

or this 4 piece set for $79

33550.jpg

Last edited:
If the recipient won't maintain and sharpen the knives, then you are wasting your time and money. Just get em some of those ever-sharp (Ginsu-type) knives with the micro serrations.

Here's an idea that will be much appreciated by most folks....offer to sharpen their existing knives yourself or locate a knife sharpening service and buy them a gift certificate to have them sharpened (certainly somebody out there will do mail order knife sharpening???)

fillet_knife_yellow.jpg

offsetcake.jpg

If you want an off the shelf set, you could do a lot worse than something like this from Forschner/Victorinox about $120
6736.jpg

or this 4 piece set for $79

33550.jpg

I maintain the knives for all friends and family, so it's worth spending a little more. I think most will receive Vic Fibrox, while two others will get Tojiro DP. I appreciate all of the great suggestions from everyone, and it sounds like quite a few others in this thread learned of new, affordable options. :thumbup:

::sigh::

One in every thread....

This kind of attitude will not bring you much further.
That you don't have a proper searchsystem, ok I can understand.
But then I showed you where to think about to get you in the right direction.
You ignore and that is not very clever . . .

I like the Tojiro DP series in VG10. They are excellent knives at a good price.

Ya' really can't do better than these for the money. My first Japanese knife was a $59 Tojiro 240 gyuto. During the 5-6 following years I've acquired another 10 or so, many of them way more expensive. The Tojiro still ends up on the cutting board frequently, cause it just gets the job done about as well, or better, than the others..

Last edited:
Back