Best Looking Delrin?

Guyon

Biscuit Whisperer
Super Mod
Sure, I know. It's Delrin. Just a fancy name for plastic.

But which traditional knife/knives sport the best looking Delrin in your opinion?

For me, it's the Schrade Old Timers. Though I can't speak to the Taylor versions, the older American-made Old Timers somehow manage to make plastic look classy.

... the older American-made Old Timers somehow manage to make plastic look classy.

There was a time when plastic was classy. Many of us scorn it now-a-days because we associate it with cheapness and disposability, but don't forget that Bakelite and Celluloid et. al. were the bees knees in their time, much like micarta and G10 are today.

Just saying... :)

I think as far as "plastics " go, I'd have to choose some of the Uncle Henrys...
Some of them have kind of a golden hue to them.

I tend to like the solid black or white the came on the Imperial Frontier knives. Even their Delrin stag was pretty nice.

Hi,

Yeah, the saw cut delrin on the Old Timers. Warm on the eyes and it felt good to hold. Is it me, or does the modern delrin seem to be a bit harder and "colder" in the hand than the old stuff? Or am I just getting old and soft, (possibly in the head too:)).

I've never been much of a fan of celluloid or Bakelite. Mostly because of the slick feel.

After some thought, I think micarta falls in this category too. Due to the resin used in making it. The paper/fabric/fiber material is mostly for filler purposes. I just got my very first micarta handled knife, a Camco peanut. While far from the nicest micarta, I kind of like it.

dalee

Last edited:
The jigged delrin on the Remington reissues from the '80s and 90's was pretty nice, it has a good feel, and gives a fairly reasonable representation of jigged bone. I've always liked the "sawcut" delrin on the Buck 301s- it's very tough, and looks good too. My grandfather always carried a 301, so that's pretty traditional to me.

But my personal favorite is the smooth yellow "composition" that Case uses. I'm working up a fairly respectable Case yellow CV collection, and liking them more and more. I have a yellow CV pen in my watch pocket this morning- it's a dandy. Case's yellow delrin has a nice "glow" to it, and is tough as all-get-out. Good thread idea!

I agree on the sawcut derlin on the Old Timers, it just fits the knife in my opinion. I only have 1 OT stockman but would not change it at all. I am also very fond of my Case "old yeller" with CV blade medium stockman and pen knife. I have been using the stockman more than any others this winter. I have tried to carry others but end up putting them back on the dresser. I have the brown jigged plastic Peanut as well. It feels right in the pocket too. I think if I got one in "yeller" with CV it would be hard to get out of my pocket. I think I may have to go by my local True Value that is family owned and a Case dealer and see if they have any. I avoid stopping by too often because the bone handled Peanuts call to me as well...

My favorite is the brown jigged derlin Case uses.

I also like the jigged brown Delrin Case knives the most, although I just got a Buck 301, and I like the handle on that one also.

I agree about the Old Timer's Delrin. Looks good, has a nice grip even when wet, and very durable. I especially like the older vintage Old Timers, which have a deeper color.

The Uncle Henry plasti-stag does nothing for me, but I agree with 338375 that the older UH "staglon" has a more appealing coloring.

Anyone else think the sawcut green delrin, found on some Imperial-Frontier and Old Timers, is the worst? Blechhh. :D

I tend to like the solid black or white the came on the Imperial Frontier knives.
There were some limited edition Old Timers that also had solid black Delrin, the "Grand Dad's Old Timers" from the 1970s.

Here's how to ruin nice delrin:

ComplimentsOldTimer.jpg

Ugh...

Case always did a very nice job on the Delrin jigged bone scales, good enough I know many have been mistaken for bone. The Case I just cleaned up for my Dad is a case in point.

casedelrin.jpg

As for the older Schrade USA versus the new Taylor Schrade made in China, here is a comparison with an older 1940T on top and below it a new 190T. The delrin looks very much the same to me.

shradesdelrin.jpg

As for the older Schrade USA versus the new Taylor Schrade made in China, here is a comparison with an older 1940T on top and below it a new 190T. The delrin looks very much the same to me.
At some point in Shrade's history they changed the dying method on the Old Timers. The earlier ones have a definitely deeper color, especially noticeable on the under-lying lighter layer. I'll see if I can get a scan up - most of my Old Timers are currently on display at a museum...

I only collect the USA Old Timers, when they were made by the Imperial-Schrade Corp. I don't have any Taylor-Schrades for comparison.

The older (1970's and earlier) Case knives with delrin are attractive knives imho.

Here's a scan showing two Schrade-USA Old Timer knives, both are 34OT. The top knife is ca. 1980, while the lower knife dates to 2004. The difference in coloring is more obvious in person, but I think the scan shows it OK. Look at the lighter colored layers near the bolsters:

OTDelrincomparison.jpg

The Case delrin is nice but Camillus had some really nice delrin back in the 1980s also.I believe those Remington remakes mentioned earlier were made by Camillus also.

Here is one not mentioned yet, an older Ka Bar on the top right with a Camillus made Remington below left...the Ka Bar is really handsome.

kabardelrin.jpg

I cant decide if I like the case jigged delrin better, or the old timer saw cut delrin.

Its questions like these, that make me wanna buy one of each(not just case and schrade), to compare...:D

Peter

For me its the Remington knives of the 80s... nice jig to it, fair color... then the Old Timer saw cut look as mentioned comes in a close second..

Back