best lube for leatherman?

Cleaned the surge today and I used some gun oil and it sucks. What should I have used?

Not that this is controlling, but Leatherman's website says "After cleaning, re-oil pivoting areas with a light machine or penetrating type oil (such as WD-40)." Link.

I use 3in1 oil mostly, mostly just after cleaning if I've been around salt water. what sucked about the gun oil? leathermans don't need much lube, so did you over do it? Also, are you looking for a lube, or a rust-protector?

Its hoppes 9 gun oil which I assumed would work fine however it made the handle pivot joint at the jaws almost seize completely. It takes a LOT of force to move it now.

sounds to me like you got some grit farther into the joint, or it somehow reacted with what was already in there. my method for cleaning gunked tools is a bit of dish soap, water as hot as you can get (dishwashing gloves help) and just work the tools around, the heat helps force any crud out as the steel expands. then oil it again once it cools. Its worked on a whole heap of gummy SAKs so it should work well on your pliers.

As Powernoodle already explained - LM even recommends WD40, so why not use it? It´s cheap and nearly everywhere to get...

I've heard this discussed many times over the years as well. I have never used WD-40 as a lubricant myself on knives but I do use one of the WD-40 pens to remove glue residue from blades and tools if I've used them to open packaging with tape and such...it works well for that and I just wipe blade off, never rinse it after using it.

Here is what's quoted from their site on their FAQ page:

"Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.
Fact:
While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal."

The "anti-corrosion agents" makes it appealing to me for an all stainless tool like Leatherman products...I'm fixing to buy a Rebar, and I'm going to use WD-40 exclusively on it and see how it works.

John

For millionth times on various forums, WD 40 is NOT lubricant.

You can keep saying that its not, but one of its primary components - in addition to propellant and mineral spirits (a solvent) - is mineral oil. Which you acknowledge is a lubricant. See the MSDS here. You can feel the lubricity on your fingers if you doubt the MSDS.

WD-40 gets a bum rap around here, and I'm on a personal crusade rectify it. [Can I say the words "lubricate" and "rectify" in the same post without getting an infraction? We'll see].

Wish i could remember where I read it, but I once came across an article in a gun magazine in which metal protectants were tested and compared. In the company of Tuf Glide, Ballistol, Remoil, CLP etc. WD 40 did respectable. In any case, that and sometimes 3-in-1 oil have been my only in decades for either lube or corrosion resistance on my knives and tools. So far, satisfied with the results.

Virtually all of these products will lubricate and protect, as they reduce friction (lubrication) and form a barrier to oxidation (prevent or delay rust and corrosion). The only real difference (in my view, anyway) is 1) price, and 2) how often you have to apply it for efficacy.

I've noted this before, and not that anyone cares, but Johnson's Baby Oil is 100% mineral oil, plus fragrance. If you want your Supertool 300 to smell like a baby's butt, here is your chance. :)

I've noted this before, and not that anyone cares, but Johnson's Baby Oil is 100% mineral oil, plus fragrance. If you want your Supertool 300 to smell like a baby's butt, here is your chance. :)

No thanks,I get flashbacks of changing diapers:D,
I use light machine oil, that is used for sewing machines usually comes with a precision applicator.

Am i the only one the finds mineral oil to be pretty crappy lubricant? It's great to prevent rust on carbon steels and its food safe but there are many better lubes. I use 3-1 oil.

Back