Best steel for Becker

I like the 1095 Kabar uses, and the 0170-6C Cammillus used was very good also.I know some of the first Becker were 4140 chrome molly. I don't know what Blackjack used. I would like to hear what steel you Becker heads would like to try. What steel does Ethan think is ideal ?
I would like to see L6 used I think it is a under used / rated blade steel. I would really like to see something like Spyderco's Mule team program. Using the Necker and make a spirit run with different steels.

I like the 1095 Kabar uses, and the 0170-6C Cammillus used was very good also.I know some of the first Becker were 4140 chrome molly. I don't know what Blackjack used. I would like to hear what steel you Becker heads would like to try. What steel does Ethan think is ideal ?
I would like to see L6 used I think it is a under used / rated blade steel. I would really like to see something like Spyderco's Mule team program. Using the Necker and make a spirit run with different steels.

they have also used SanMai, 440C, S30V, and something else i'm not thinking of right now... we won't be seeing too much of that in the future.

Ethan seems to be pretty darn happy with 1095. so's KaBar. they have a fantastic heat treat program for that.

5160 would be coolio too, but well, 1095 is the magic stuff, i don't see them switching from that anytime soon.

I like the 1095CV, and the Toooj heat treat is about the best in the industry for 1095CV. I am not a fan of stainless steels, myself, but if they did, I would like to see some more 440C make a showing, perhaps on the BK2 and the ESKabar. I have a few saltwater trips planned next year, and my Beckers will be making the trip. Stainless would be nice, but its not necessary.

I will have to look up L6, I never heard of that before.

Moose

440A/440B/440C
Any of the three I would love to have on the BK series.

Grade 440C is capable of attaining, after heat treatment, the highest strength, hardness and wear resistance of all the stainless alloys.....PLEASE KABAR/BECKER

I have always liked 1095 and the heat treatment of any steel is just as important as the steel it's self. To be honest I am not sure I could tell the difference between most steels when everything else is the same. Still I like to play with and try different steels. Not to mention having something different is always cool. Some others I would like to try would be D2 / A2 / 52100

I sure hope the Tweeners are 1095. I've had that drop point on the brain all day since seeing Moose's pic again.

Ultimately, 3V would be super awesome. On the other hand, you'd be looking at spending waaaaay more money. Of the more common steels, I'd love to see 5160 used in knives with blades more than 7 inches in length. For the smaller fixed blades, 1095CV is excellent. Well, it's excellent anyway, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, I just really like 5160 in a knife you're gonna' chop with.

Can't believe no one said 01 yet. I would like to play with a BK11 in D2.

Honestly, I think for the style and intended purpose, 1095 is probably the right answer. I'll take good heat treat over specific metal any day.

Back