Recommendation? Best thread lock for disk grinder disk set screw

Robert Erickson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The set screw for the disk on my disk grinder keeps loosening up and so I'm wondering what the best thread lock is for this application. I looked on Knifekits.com and there are quite a few options. Thanks for your suggestions!

I would not use anything stronger than loctite blue, it should hold well enough, if not then you have problems with the threads in your disc.
I use nothing on mine and they never loosen.

Does everything run smooth with no vibration? An out of balance disc or a shaft hole a bit oversize will make set screws such come loose. I don't ever remember putting thread lock on a set screw on a pulley, drive whee, or disc.

Loctite Blue SHOULD be adequate. Permatex also makes a blue thread locker. Alternatively, McMaster sells "locking" set screws that have teeth on the end.

It's pretty unusual for a setscrew to loosen up unless there is some other relative movement causing it to do so. I'd be looking very closely for some underlying cause.

If you are sure it's "just" the setscrew loosening up that's the problem, then purple Loctite 222 "Screwlock" would be my choice. It's the lowest-strength threadlocker and is intended for use on screws.

The Blue "Nutlock" products are stronger and intended for use on nuts. It is all to easy to chew up the slot or inhex on a setscrew if too strong a threadlock is used and you need to get it apart again.

If there's any possibility of there being relative movement between the disk and the shaft that is causing the setscrew to back out, I'd be looking to take off and remount the disk using one of the Loctite retaining product range. There are a number of different products available with different strengths and gap-filling capabilities. As a rule, it's best to pick the lowest-strength product that will do the job. Using a higher strength product than is needed just makes disassembly more difficult when you need to take things apart. This is especially true of things like disks where there is not much chance of getting a normal puller on and where applying enough heat to weaken the Loctite is likely to cook up the motor shaft seals.

I have the Nielsen disk system and it seems to run smooth when the set screw is tight. There is some vibration when it's loose. It's been like this since I got my disk grinder so maybe there's some relative movement that I'm not picking up. I have a Beaumont Metal Works disk that I've not used yet. Maybe I'll put that one on to see if it doesn't loosen up.

I agree with the above, low strength Purple

Also consider, backing up the first setscrew with a second is another way.

"jam screw"

The set screw for the disk on my disk grinder keeps loosening up and so I'm wondering what the best thread lock is for this application. I looked on Knifekits.com and there are quite a few options. Thanks for your suggestions!

Something is wrong . This way of fixing on shaft is used in many places not just on a disc. I have never heard or saw that screw to lose on that place. Loctite will only temporarily hide the problem..................

Back