Best two 91s if I must remove a layer or two

Hashishiin

Gold Member
I am looking for opinions on the best toolsets possible if I had to remove some layers, two and one, to put other blades in. Blade layer is a given gone one.

I like the Explorer a lot, hits about my perfect size. But what would I remove? Maybe that could be the one which I just remove one slot from.

I LIKE having a Phillips on the main toolset. I need scissors but only want a saw, if there's some more useful stuff out there.... Will be keeping the openers I think.

Putting a sheepsfoot or clip point Felco blade plus a Dragonfly blade!

Want to do a clip point small SAK blade + Dfly blade but cannot bear to butcher my 1970 Outdoorsman!

So what are you looking for again?

SAK to remove layers or SAK with removed layers?

You want saw but not really?

Blade layer is a given gone one.
It is a given you are going to remove the knife blade?

What other "'blades"/tools don't you use?
What "blades"/tools do you need or think you will need most?

IMO, Since the knife blade is going bye-bye, Forget a Swiss Army Knife.

Get a small knifeless multi-tool instead.
I think Gerber has a knifeless version of the "Dime" multi-tool avalable?
I'm pretty sure Leatherman and SOG has knifeless mult-tools as well.

Would a folding EMT scissors like this (with or without the strap cutter) suit your needs?
(They are available with strap cutter and without, so you don't have to remove it if not needed or permitted where you are.)
Leatherman and others make them.
View attachment 2377489

The bladeless Dime was discontinued several years ago, but Gerber does make a bladeless 600, with the added bonus of American manufacture. Leatherman has the bladeless Rebar. Don't know about SOG; other than the compound leverage, I wasn't ever impressed with the quality of their tools. With the larger SOGs, though, you can customize the tool lineup. I don't think that's the case with the Powerpint.

Last edited:

Would a folding EMT scissors like this (with or without the strap cutter) suit your needs?
(They are available with strap cutter and without, so you don't have to remove it if not needed or permitted where you are.)
View attachment 2377489
He's planning to replace the Victorinox blade with a Spyderco and/or Felco blade, I don't know if he thinks he can keep the spring/layer with the new blade(s) or not. That's about as much of his meaning as I can divine without sending his post to cryptography.

Edit to add: I know an eBay seller that moves a hundred or more SAKs a week, usually dirt cheap. That's how I ended up with over 200. Buy a dozen, take them all apart and assemble whatever you want.

Second edit to add more: Once you take apart a bunch of them and start trying to piece them back together, you'll find out they aren't Legos. Each blade and tool is matched to a certain end of a certain spring, and often can't be used anywhere else. They are also 4 pin construction, with some springs doing triple duty (blade or tool on each end and a third on the back). Most can't be reversed to move a tool to the other end of the knife. And the blade layer is also home to the corkscrew/back Phillips, so the scale and cover are cut out for that, and as far as I know, there is no 91mm without that cutout to delete the layer entirely without machining new parts yourself.

Last edited:
Based on what you are looking for I would make a Yeoman with a saw but you would need 3 SAKs (Compact, Explorer, and Camper) and use the Dragonfly Blade.

Yeah, that was hard to follow. Can you revise it and ask specifically what you’re trying to do?
I am having a Dragonfly blade and a Felco Victorinox blade (clip point or sheep foot) put in to replace two layers of a SAK. I am also considering another different blade on another 91, but just one for that second knife

Btw, the Gerber Dime has a knife blade, to whoever suggested that. I have one. Also, I am not removing,, but replacing the knife blade. He says he needs two slots per knife blade so I want the best toolset. T Tafkaag about the bladeless

He's planning to replace the Victorinox blade with a Spyderco and/or Felco blade, I don't know if he thinks he can keep the spring/layer with the new blade(s) or not. That's about as much of his meaning as I can divine without sending his post to cryptography.

Edit to add: I know an eBay seller that moves a hundred or more SAKs a week, usually dirt cheap. That's how I ended up with over 200. Buy a dozen, take them all apart and assemble whatever you want.

Second edit to add more: Once you take apart a bunch of them and start trying to piece them back together, you'll find out they aren't Legos. Each blade and tool is matched to a certain end of a certain spring, and often can't be used anywhere else. They are also 4 pin construction, with some springs doing triple duty (blade or tool on each end and a third on the back). Most can't be reversed to move a tool to the other end of the knife. And the blade layer is also home to the corkscrew/back Phillips, so the scale and cover are cut out for that, and as far as I know, there is no 91mm without that cutout to delete the layer entirely without machining new parts yourself.
I do this. Just got myself a Camper, Executive, and Swisschamp for like $40 total. It's awesome. Have to stop myself from buying more. I think I did buy more. That is it for the month without selling more knives considering I also have a Lionsteel Gitano and M4 Yojumbo coming in.

I know they are not Legos and am sending them to a trained pro haha :)

View attachment 2377489
I am sorry if I did not make clear I am not removing but replacing the blades with one of the 100mm two blade Felco blades (unsure whether clip pruner or sheep pruner) and a Spyderco Dragonfly for the one hand open.

I am looking for the best toolset 91s around if I have to remove a layer in addition to knife layer which the maker says is the case.

Sorry everybody if this was hard to get.

Well, if you already have a SwissChamp to dismantle, it should provide everything you need other than a combo tool. Toolset will be determined by your personal needs and desires, no one else's.

Back