best under 3 inch fixed blade

I would like some advice on small fixed blades.I'd like under 3 inches,a sturdy blade,a kydex sheath,(belt&neck),good for everyday use,and defence,clip or claw style with micarta or wood handle.under $200.Any thoughts welcome.

Originally posted by Mi.Mike:

I would like some advice on small fixed blades.I'd like under 3 inches,a sturdy blade,a kydex sheath,(belt&neck),good for everyday use,and defence with micarta or wood handle.under $200.Any thoughts welcome.

Hmmm.

Are asking for a maker?

Or are you looking for reccomendations of shape, style and package?

For a maker, I would suggest, Allen Blade (he is in my sig file), also Matt Lamey, Neil Blackwood aka Dr Lathe, or Lynn Griffith among others, the good part about these guys are they are Forum members, have short waits, and deliver good product as well as being pretty good guys to my understanding, also the Jones Brothers, maybe Folts and as I said among others.... Most of these guys are fairly inexpensive too.

For design stuff....

I would go micarta, durable and clean. And currently I am enamored of the mortise tang style of construcion, where the micarta completely encapsulates the tang, good in many conditions.

With a clip or drop point, I consider just about all other shapes too specialized.

Kydex or Concealex, yeah good call, and a good maker can make one sheath that will do both, but I prefer two separate sheaths.

Those guys will probably get in here and give there sites....

Thank You,
Marion David Poff aka Eye, CdA ID,USA mdpoff@yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/mdpoff

Resolution By Division(c) Innovative Cutlery Solutions http://www.geocities.com/mdpoff/rbd.html

Allen Blade Custom Knives http://www.geocities.com/mdpoff/allenblade.html

[This message has been edited by Marion David Poff (edited 02-04-2000).]

This one my favorite category of FB.
smile.gif

Under 3" blade and $200 or less. I would include Dozier's "straight personal" clip point with D2 steel. Cost was about $140. The sheath is cross draw although I sure you can ask for a MCS since he is pretty adept at working with kydex.

A production Falkniven WMI with a drop point blade in VG10 cost only about $65. Toss in a custom MCS with one of the kydex makers here, e.g. Mike Sastre, Normark, etc, you add on another $35 - $40.

I have a Meerdink "Three Finger" with a sub 3" drop blade in ATS34 with a MCS for about $140. Nice knife but as name implies, the handle is small but sure gripped with the three indexes.

I am waiting on a Ray Kirk "Lil Rank" with D2 clip point and indexed, bone scale handle. This should be pretty nice in this category given what I seen and handle of his slightly larger hunting model.

I've become a fan of Running Dog knives based on his BG42 and 1084 pups. The pup is a small neck knife with a 2" blade without handle scales. He also makes other knives with longer blade lengths. I just ordered a BG42 'lil camper, 5 and 1/8" knife in BG42 steel and micarta handle.

Allen Blade has some nice designs in this category. Waiting for one of them in talonite. Unfortunately, He just announced he is not taking any more in orders so he can catch up.

Lynn Griffith has some designs recently for sub 3" drop point neck knives in ATS34 with micarta scales and MCS. Alot of his customers here are big fans of his work.

Isn't it great!? So many choices, eh...
smile.gif

sing

AKTI #A000356

My vote is for the Dozier.
smile.gif

PS I dont have a Griffith yet.But soon.
------------------

have a"knife"day

[This message has been edited by nifrand (edited 02-05-2000).]

I vote for one of the new Griffith Stubby models. Lynn includes a nice sheath and has started using more steels like BG-42 etc. Does his own heat treat and cryo. www.griffithknives.com

Looks great, Lynn! I think this new line will be very popular. The model shown in the pic above is my favorite of the Stubbys. It combines my favorite blade shape with a nice ergo handle, concealability, and utility. Not to mention the usual Griffith quality in terms of heat-treat, fit and finish, and one of my favorite steels-ATS-34. Of course, as Chief mentioned, Lynn is now offering a variety of popular high-grade steels. Something for everyone!
-Paul

I would recommend Steve Mullan's Pack River Knives.Very affordable and good quality.

Originally posted by sing:
I just ordered a BG42 'lil camper, 5 and 1/8" knife in BG42 steel and micarta handle.

Sing, has Michael started making these again, or did you just manage to convince him to do a one-off for you? The reason I ask is I had expressed an interest in almost the exact same knife you describe, except with elk scales. He said that he was going to start making them again sometime in the future, but not yet. That was about a month ago, and I'm wondering if we are "sometime in the future" now.
Thanks.

------------------
"Absolute safety is for those who don't have the balls to live in the real world."

RS,

Michael said he would do my request in the next order of BG42. He didn't say exactly when, and I am not in a rush. Orignally, after the ultra small run of BG42 pups, he thought that was it. However, given the subsequent interest he said he will do some more once he's catched up.

Hope that helps. Given what I've seen of the pup. I think I would like a BG42 lil camper with red micarta handles. It'll be an elegant little knife.

sing

AKTI #A000356

sing, have you seen any of the Running Dog Knives with Elk scales? I sent an e-mail to Mike yesterday, and found out what you just told me. I just sent a response to him to ask him to put me on the list for a Lil Camper in BG42 with elk scales. I think I would prefer the elk to the micarta, since red micarta would make the Lil Camper my third knife with red or maroon micarta. A man's gotta have variety, dontcha know. But, I am open to being persuaded to get the red scales.
Thanks again.

------------------
"Absolute safety is for those who don't have the balls to live in the real world."

RS,

Glad you got on the list.
smile.gif
So far I like the BG42 pup. Takes and keeps a pretty good edge. It seems a bit more stainless than my other "stainless" knives. I clip it in my waistband for running. It gets all sweaty with me and has not appeared to be bother by it (unlike folks around me.
wink.gif
)

Don't know about elk handles. Never had one though I handle some stag. They're pretty and provide a sure grip.

But, I tend towards micarta or g10 because I like the handle to be somewhat flat for manipulations. Just a preferance thing.

Still, I am waiting for a Raker Lil Rank, 6.5" OAL with D2 steel and white bone scale. It'll be interesting.
smile.gif

sing

AKTI #A000356

[This message has been edited by sing (edited 02-15-2000).]

Hey, Sing, where did you get your Meerdink "Three Finger" ?

------------------
Tea drinker and hellraiser from Northern Sweden, above the arctic circle.

CC,

Got it from Arizona Custom Knife. There was another after that which didn't last too long on the site. I think your best bet is to contact Meerdink himself. No website. Just phone #. BTW the 3 finger is numbered. I have #485. I can't believe he has that many # fingers out there, so it must be in reference to something else.

sing

AKTI #A000356

If you want a Meerdink Knife contact Joe Tarbell at JT's Knives, 264 E. Main St, Port Jervis, NY 12771 (914) 856-1911 E-mail jtarbell@warwick.net He stocks a lot of Kurt's stuff. I'd give you Kurt's address, but he just moved to a new location and I don't have his new info yet.

sing, you have the 485th knife that Kurt's made since going into biz for himself. He numbers all of his knives in order made and doesn't number individual models. So 485 is a 3-finger and #486 could be a hunter or neck knife or phase III fighter or whatever.

------------------
~ JerryO ~

Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum

[This message has been edited by JerryO (edited 02-19-2000).]

Jerry,

Thanks for confirming what I thought. Now I can say I have a sub 500 Meerdink.
smile.gif

sing

AKTI #A000356

Back