Best way to even out an uneven grind

I've been carrying my Foray a lot lately and today decided to touch the edge up on my Sharpmaker. Worked up a burr no problem on one side using the 15 dps slots but couldn't do the same to the other. Long story short, looks like it was ground 15 degrees on one side and nearly 21 on the other.

Better/ easier to get the 15 degree side to 20, or vice versa? I also have an edge pro with stock stones.

If it was me I'd use the edge pro. Grab whatever stone is most coarse and make passes on both sides of the blade. When working on the side you want to thin out, use double the amount of strokes that you use on the other side that is already close to where you want it. Go back and forth a few times like this and you should have it centered in 30 minutes or so. Then obviously refine and or polish as much as you prefer.

My Sharpmaker is very good but it's really not for reprofiling.

Unless you're very good at free-hand sharpening, a system (like my DMT Aligner or EP clone) is easy to reprofile and match grinds, especially when using diamond stones.

My Sharpmaker is very good but it's really not for reprofiling.

Unless you're very good at free-hand sharpening, a system (like my DMT Aligner or EP clone) is easy to reprofile and match grinds, especially when using diamond stones.

Exactly! Ding*ding*ding*! Give that man a cigar!

Time... take that one side back little by little each sharpening. Don't waste blade grinding towards perfection. I was that way, still hard to fight it. I want my knives to last, especially companies that don't reblade their knives.

+1 On perfectly symmetrical bevels for regular field, ranch, camping, hunting, fishing, Christmas, shop, Splinters, or EDC type duties. For personal reasons though, it is a pursuit that hones the mind as well as the edge.
40 years ago it would have been a miracle that you even noticed the difference between 21 and 15°. Heck, I think it's a miracle every time I use our KME and the edges are so symmetrical even though the angle finder app says "not perfect" with a degree or so of "slop." Geez, you'd think the edge was perfect by looking at it.

Back