Best way to glue neoprene to steel?

Making a couple sanding sticks using 70 durometer neoprene from McMaster. Being as we have access to some amazing epoxy and silicon and glue and what not, if I wanted the most durable long lasting water proof attachment method?

Rubber cement(with toluene) g flex epoxy, system 3, good superglue?

Love to hear yalls thoughts on this. Prefer faster cure time, but not if it's st the expense of strength.

Thank you.

I would try good 'ol Barge Cement. I know there are a few versions, but I only used the "all purpose" cement in the red & yellow container.

I made one test blade with rubber scales and was told to use super glue. I am not sure about the durability as it was destroyed in the testing.

I have used a lot of rubber for handle scales in the past and allways used super glue. Everything has to be super clean and freshly sanded. But even then it can lift up in the future as it's not retained with hardware. Another way I really like to use rubber is to stack it on a hidden tang. Works really slick that way. Let me see if I have an exzample of one of my knives.

This is rubber with kydex spacers.
Photo%20Sep%2016%2C%2021%2021%2035.jpg

I have used Devcon 2-ton, two part epoxy for everything! It has never let me down. It has tested extremely strong for me, and I have full trust in it.

Gorilla super glue (the impact resistant kind) is the go to for competition chopper with horse stall mat or neoprene handles.

I have used the special black epoxy made by Hysol for gluing neoprene rubber handles to metal tangs. It works fine, but I have found that any good bonding resin will do nearly as well. I use System Three, and know of others who have used G-Flex. Dye it black if you want no-show joints.

I recently have started using the black rubber toughened CA made for high strength airplane modeling. It work great. Woodcraft sells it, as well as Ebay ( where you can get a small bottle or a quart).

On rubber knife handles, I use large diameter Corby bolts or a type of wide round nut/bolt that installs something lies a Loveless bolt. Barely beyond finger tight usually applies all the pressure needed to install the rubber on the tang when gluing them up.

The major trick in getting good bonding with rubber and metal is preparation and technique. Sand both surfaces rough - 50 to 100 grit. Spread the resin freely on the rubber, coating the surface well. Place rubber on the tang and move around a bit to get a smooth smear. Clamp with the absolute minimum pressure that you can. If you use strong spring clamps it will squeeze out all the resin and make a glue starved joint.

This is rubber with kydex spacers.
Photo%20Sep%2016%2C%2021%2021%2035.jpg
[/QUOTE]
That never gets old! Love that knife!

Daniel.

Last edited:
Back