Best way to mod BK-7 to strike ferro rod

I can't seem to strike a ferro rod with the back of the BK-7 due to the coating. What's the best way to mod the rear to allow me to use it with my ferro rod?

The easiest way to remove the coating in is entirety, is with some sort of chemical paint stripper. The Becker knife spines, are for the most part, not quite an exact enough 90 degree edge to throw any sparks off of a firesteel. Because of that, you'll likely have to grind an edge in it. So if you're wanting the coating gone just where you're striking edge is, id just grind it. As that will get rid of the coating, and give you the sharp spine you're wanting all in one go.

If you don't have a grinder, or stripper. You can scrape the coating off with a razor blade (to an extent). Then you can sand the rest of the coating off, and if you work at it enough, you can get that 90 degree spine you're wanting. It just takes a bit of time.

Good luck :).

I used a Chainsaw file to put a 1/4" semi circle on spline of my bk2, works great...

What about opening up the little gap that's serving as a choil? I saw someone modify their BK9 in such a way that it served as a forward finger grip for greater control of the blade in certain applications.

I saw someone do that as well. The reasoning behind it was because the thumb ramp got in the way. Ive never had this problem buy hey, whatever floats the boat.

What about opening up the little gap that's serving as a choil? I saw someone modify their BK9 in such a way that it served as a forward finger grip for greater control of the blade in certain applications.

square up the spine right at the front base of the thumb ramp?

Back