Better steel

I was just looking over at Admiral steel and they have a few choices. Was wondering the difference between the "Tool Steel" and the "Carbon Alloy" steel? I'm not looking for a "What is it made of" answer... I found that in the FAQ..... I am looking for a more, which one is better to make a blade from. I will be using files to grind it to shape as I do not have any machines yet.

Michael

Another question to consider is your heat treat abilities. Some steels require an oven with controlled ramp rates and hold times some can successfully be heated with an oxy/actylene torch and quenched in oil or water. Very broad question. Can you be a little more specific?

440C and ATS 34 are nice fine grained stainless steels and file very well but require controlled atmosphere heat treating, no problem if you don't mind sending them out to be heat treated.
O1 files just fine but is non stainless. It's main advantage is that it can be heat treated with an acetylene torch.
Beyond this I have no personal experience.

------------------
george
www.tichbourneknives.com
sales@tichbourneknives.com

I was actually thinking in the line of non stainless....but have a thought...if you have a non stainless carbon steel and have a full tang....dont you need to keep the tang oiled up as well....talk about a mess every time you want to use a knife......

Michael

Back