BF Cookbook

BLADEFORUMS COOKBOOK
Great recipes from the shop gang.

http://www.lemeeknives.com/bf_cookbook.htm

Of course if any of you guys want to share their special recipes, I'll gladly add them on there. You can post them on here, or send them to me via PM or email.

Thanks for sharing - Patrice.

Last edited:
I glad you like it. Sadly I don't think there is not enough interest for a sticky.
Not that many knifemakers/cooks is seems. :(

You may be right, Patrice. I thought it was a great idea. Being your thread, I'd say it's up to you to leave it or have it unstuck. I added it to my favorites so I can find it!

Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks Stacy. I'll also mention it in chat this week to get the word out a little more.

PS: You should drop by sometimes in chat Stacy.

I was reading through the cookbook and ran across IG's Heat Treat Relish.
I refuse to believe he uses habaneros. There has to be Unobtainium peppers
in there. THAT RELISH IS HOT!!!!!!!:eek: One pint is a lifetime supply.

Bill

I'll give you the lobster dish recipe:

About two pounds of lobster tails, or three pounds whole lobsters
three to five heads of baby bok choy
one finger of fresh ginger ( about 2-3"), peeled and sliced thin
two cloves of garlic, minced
Three shallots ,sliced
One bunch scallions, sliced
One medium fennel bulb including the tops, sliced thin and chopped as needed
One cup of snow peas
Can of water chestnuts
Yoshindo's or similar Mirin sauce
One pound baby-Bella mushrooms - washed, with stems removed
4oz Cognac - Drink all but 1 Tbs, and keep that for cooking the mushrooms
Cooking oil - I like olive oil. For stronger flavor, use sesame oil or a mix of sesame and olive oil.
Red chili oil
Spices as desired. I use a good shake or two of Mrs. dash Garlic and Herb.

Other good additions - Leeks, any firm root vegetable, baby spinach, Asian hot peppers.

Boil the lobster for 1-2 minutes, remove the meat from the shells and cut into pieces. This step is called blanching - It isn't cooked yet. Set aside.

In a large wok, heat 1 Tbs olive or other oil and a 1/4Tsp of red chili oil.
Add mushroom caps and stir-fry until browned a bit. Add 1 Tbs Mirin sauce and water chestnuts - cook for three minutes. Add 1Tbs cognac and cook over high heat for one minute.Reduce heat and add 1 Tsp cornstarch,cooking until thickened. Add liquid if needed ( any stock will work).
Set aside

Add 1 Tbs olive oil to wok
Add garlic and ginger - stir-fry over medium heat until softened a bit ( add hot peppers here if used), about one to two minutes
Add lobster and 1Tbs mirin sauce - stir fry for 1 minute.
Add shallots, scallions, snow peas, fennel, bok choy, seasonings - Reduce heat and cook until softened slightly. Cover wok if you have a lid.
Add reserved mushrooms and sauce - heat through.
Adjust seasoning to your preferences if desired.
Serve over rice noodles, white or fried rice,...... or my favorite way - on whole wheat wraps with tadziki.

Last edited:
Posted your recipe Stacy, thanks for sharing.
I also added a quick and easy peanut sauce recipe on there.
Feel free to share your recipes folks or your wife's if you don't cook. ;)

A great thread Patrice! There's some great recipe's on there. Hmm next time I make pizza I'll have to write down What I use. It's a pretty mean BBQ chicken pizza and spaghetti pizza. I cook almost very day but I just kinda wing it so I don't have recipes.

This recipe works best for a 10 tray square dehydrator. The right beef is important. You need thinly sliced, low fat meat. Top round, bottom round, and eye of round work well.Wal-Mart sells some pre-sliced meat labeled as milanesa. It's a cut of round steak that is 10 slices per package, about 2½ lbs. You will notice two different cuts of beef in the milanesa. One is cut across the grain, the other with the grain. You really want the cut with the grain. It will be chewier and has a lower fat content than the cross grain. The pieces will be thicker and taste better. The cross grain cuts are much thinner and basically turn to paper if you try to use them.

Soy sauce: Don't use Kikkoman or other sauces from the grocery store. Find an oriental grocery store and get your sauces there. It will be much cheaper in half gallon containers and has a different flavor than other store bought sauces.

Beef Jerky:
Ingredients
2 packages thin cut milanesa beef
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 TBSP coarse ground black pepper
1 tsp liquid smoke
32 oz. light soy sauce
32 oz. dark soy sauce

Directions
1. In a large pot, mix the soy sauces, liquid smoke, pepper, and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer to dissolve the sugar. Allow to cool.
2. Dip each strip into the marinade until fully coated and place each strip in a large, lidded plastic container. Pour the remaining marinade into the container.
3. Shake/stir container every 2-3 hours for 24 hours
4. Lay strips out on trays (and sprinkle with cayenne/black pepper if desired) and dehydrate at 125° for 6-10 hours depending on humidity. Cycle two trays from bottom to top every 30 minutes to ensure even curing.
5. When beef is dry and tough, it is ready to be removed and trimmed. Cut with scissors to 1" squares. Trim and remove any fat at this point. Fat will go rancid if stored for long periods of time.

Salmon Chowder:
Ingredients
3 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups diced potatoes
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
2 (16 ounce) cans salmon
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
1/2 pound Cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions

1. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion, celery, and garlic powder until onions are tender. Stir in potatoes, broth, salt, pepper, and dill. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat. Cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
2. Stir in salmon, evaporated milk, corn, and cheese. Cook until heated through.

The temptation is to use fresh salmon. Don't. Canned salmon has the flesh still on it and contributes to the taste.

I will put those in the cookbook in the next few days. Thanks for sharing.
I'll give that chowdah recipe a try. :thumbup:

One of my quick favorites... takes a grand total of about 20 minutes start to finish.

Quick & Easy Chicken Marsala

Ingredients:
2 medium chicken breasts, cubed into 1 inch sections
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (I prefer cremini)
1 cup beef broth (I prefer Better Than Boulllion)
1 cup sweet Marsala wine (more, if you prefer)
1 cup pasta (I prefer tri-color rotini, but just about any sort will do)
2 TBSP butter (or light butter)
2 TBSP corn starch

Instructions:
In a large measuring cup mix the beef broth and marsala wine.
In a large skillet melt 1 TBSP of butter and slightly sautee the mushrooms until they start to soften. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Melt the remaining TBSP of butter and lightly sautee the chicken until it is white on all sides.
Return the mushrooms to the pan and add the win/broth mixture. Allow it to come to a light boil, then reduce the temperature to Med-Lo.
Mix the corn starch with a spash of water and stir it into the skillet gradually until the sauce reaches the desired thickness. Allow it to simmer for at least 10 minutes.
Boil the pasta and drain it.
When the pasta is ready, ladle the chicken/mushroom/sauce over the pasta.

Optional: You can add other things (onions, garlic, etc) to the sauce, but I find it doesn't need anything if you have the right broth and Marsala wine.

Back