Big fish caught on light tackle

Ill start the show. The biggest fish I ever caught is this big Head Carp landed on a 6.5 ft med light baitcaster with ten lb test mono. I snagged it in the dorsal fin with a crappie jig . Estimated weight is 50lbs

20063-3003.jpg

Last edited:
I caught a 5 pound 22" largemouth on a light shakespeare combo rod that i fixed up. I found it in my garage with a busted rod tip insert and had to heat up the old one, remove the new one from an old snapped rod and file down the metal rod in the pole to attach the guide tip on because it was too big and the guide i took off the other pole was thinner. Epoxied it on and it looked brand new. But that's the type of rod i was using! Had a crappy mitchell reel with 10lb spiderwire super mono EZ and caught it on a plastic curly leg frog. I snapped a 7' medium shakespeare excursion, only a few months old, on a 3 or 4 lb pickerel. I landed the fish and got a pic but didn't have my scale with me, it was a split second decision fishing trip and i was rushed.

Dang ! Thats a big fish ! I have not even remotely come close to any thing that size, not even half that size. So much fishing pressure and few places to go where I live in Ohio. Nice catch !

Nice avatar, it has a striking resemblance to someone.:D

Ill start the show. The biggest fish I ever caught is this big Head Carp landed on a 6.5 ft med light baitcaster with ten lb test mono. I snagged it in the dorsal fin with a crappie . Estimated weight is 50lbs

20063-3003.jpg

holy smokes! job well done.. my largest was a grass carp at 35-40lbs on 10lb yozuri hybrid.. took me 15 mins to get her in.. no pics, didnt take the cam.... never seen a carp like yours. interesting... btw you do kind of look like Boom lol, awesome

Wow nice fish man! I've never caught anything on light line, but If I remember correctly, the Canadian muskie record was caught on 8 lb. test - it weighed 65 lbs.:eek:

thats a nice size fish. i never heard of a big head carp. from the picture it looks more like a catfish to me. can you eat them or are they like other carp and have a muddy taste?

I dont know if they are any good or not. My neice got knocked out of a canoe by one. A commercial market needs to be found for them. Maybe zoos would buy them for food.

Youve all seen them on TV. They are a very bad invasive spieces.

[youtube]9iLKbtZsIsk[/youtube]

Last edited:
i was watching a show at a friends house but i cant remember the channel. they were on some river in illinois and these fish were jumping all over. it gave me an idea for something fun to do since the fish are invasive and need eliminated. i'm sure you have shot trap before ;) :D.

dipbait, that's a great fish! I bet it was really difficult to control if you foul hooked it.

I'm afraid I don't have anything to compare, I've never caught anything as big as that.

You asked me to post the picture of my pike which I caught on a medium light rod.

IMGP0542.jpg

P10100451.jpg

P1010041.jpg

I caught it on a 2 inch Sammy lure, shown here next to a 2oz Yo-Zuri surface cruiser.

IMGP0548.jpg

These aren't exactly "big" fish but the tackle makes them feel big!

One of my favourite rods is an ultra light that I bought in Japan. It's 6ft, rated 2-6lb line and casts 0.8grms-4grms.

It's really good fun to use and quite versatile.

In Japan I caught a few carp from the local river on bread, just a size 6 hook, no float or any weight on the line. Because it's rated to cast a low weight, by dipping the bread quickly into water I could then cast it out.

Takako027.jpg

Takako023.jpg

While working a little spoon one day, I foul hooked this barbel type thing (not exactly sure what species it was), it put up one heck of a fight!

Takako011.jpg

Within days of coming back to England I caught this little pike on it.
3f58a697.jpg

Caught only a couple of feet out in the pool right behind me.

Normally I always use a wire trace for lure fishing in freshwater in the UK because of the chance of a pike. But a wire trace almost loads the rod and that's without putting a lure on. So that day I tied on a short leader of 15lb mono and just expected to maybe land a perch. The lure that the pike went for was a Beetle Spin that my dad got me while he was in America from Bass Pro.

0238925e.jpg

Using the floating bread technique I've also caught chub, I think this was my best one.
IMGP0494.jpg

With a couple of BB size split shot clipped on the line and maggots for bait I caught this nice little brown trout.
IMGP0529.jpg

If I was told that I was going to be dropped somewhere in the world and could choose a couple of rods to take, then I would take this little ultra light rod.

YorkshireBoy. Do you use a hair rig for carp? I have a camp on carp filled water and they are spooky.

No, for the carp and chub I just put the hook in the middle of 2inch square piece of bread, then just folded the bread in half sandwiching the hook.

I think for spooky carp (and chub) get them feeding and competing with each other. It might take a few hours to get them into this state, resist the urge to add your line to the water!

Dog biscuits that have been softened with a bit of boiling water make good and cheap surface baits. Buy a big bag and sit there with a sling shot and fire them out to the carp. You can hair rig these or just glue one to a small section of elastic band and then put your hook through the elastic.

No, for the carp and chub I just put the hook in the middle of 2inch square piece of bread, then just folded the bread in half sandwiching the hook.

I think for spooky carp (and chub) get them feeding and competing with each other. It might take a few hours to get them into this state, resist the urge to add your line to the water!

Dog biscuits that have been softened with a bit of boiling water make good and cheap surface baits. Buy a big bag and sit there with a sling shot and fire them out to the carp. You can hair rig these or just glue one to a small section of elastic band and then put your hook through the elastic.
I feed them with floating commercial fish food and canned corn. Then after they get feeding on the surface I stop feeding them. They then switch to the corn but are very shy.

Great catches Fellas!

My biggest just happened this Spring. 6 foot Lemon Shark on 15lb Power Pro Braid.

No pix but I guess my 16lb (weighed at the tackle shop) bluefish on 15lb line might qualify.
10' rod gives all the leverage to the fish. When you get those blues from the beach they really motor along (& jump!) instead of bulldogging down like when your on the boat.

I feed them with floating commercial fish food and canned corn. Then after they get feeding on the surface I stop feeding them. They then switch to the corn but are very shy.

I'm not a carp fishing expert but I do know that English carp fishers either feed them on the surface or on the bottom, not both at the same time.

Could you use a bubble float, the type you fill with water to get casting distance and then leave 6ft of trace to your hook link.

Back in Japan I used this method on another rod because there were some bigger carp around and I got busted off on my ultra light outfit.

Not very good pictures, sorry...they're easily 15lb.

Takako036.jpg

Takako037.jpg

Back