Birthday time, help me out here

Well,

It's almost that time, plus I'm heading away on a little 5 month trip in a week, so my wife says I get to pick out my next toy - whoo hoo!

Since she is also my dealer for all the knives I'm looking, at price won't be too much of an option (And ya'll thought I married for looks ;))

Here is what I'm looking at, in alphabetical order...

Orion, Titanium Blade, Carbon Fiber Handle
B-2065.jpg

Buck/Strider, Spear Point
880SP.jpg

Strider Solution, G10, 4.75 in. Drop Point, Plain
888.jpg

Emersom Commander, Black-T Finish, Plain
COMMANDER-BT.jpg

Microtech Amphibian
MT300352-G.jpg

REKAT Carnivore
T-CAR-BT.jpg

REKAT Savant
SAV-SP.jpg

or last but not least a...

REKAT Sifu with the black blade and CF handle
SIFU-CF-BT.jpg

Now I know I included one Ti Knife (never used one before so I have no idea how well Ti serves as a blade) and one fixed blade, but the idea is to get something I can carry and use/abuse daily for all sorts of different things - from opening a letter to dressing small game in the field.

Any opinions of any of the above knives - good or bad would bell greatly appreciated, I enjoy learning from others mistakes, ha ha.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Dan

If you don't have any Waved Emersons, check out the Commander. I have a P-SARK, and having the blade pop open as you pull the knife from your pocket is very cool (and useful). OTOH, you might want to go for the Sifu, as I hear they have been discontinued...don't know how long they'll keep showing up in the dealer pipeline.

Burke,

I'm new to Emerson Knives, so is the wave an assisted open model?

Sounds cool if so...guess I'll have to add this to the list
Mini Commander, Black-T Finish, Wave, Plain
MCOMM-BT.jpg

Thanks!

Dan

The only experience that I've had with any of the knives above is with the Microtech Amphibian. Simply, Microtech's ROCK !

Amphibian measurements; OAL of 8.31” and a blade length of a hair over 3.5”. . . Pretty beefy blade that carries a slight recurve. And is VERY VERY SCARY SHARP ! This is the sharpest Microtech to date (IMHO). The blade design is fantastic and is a very efficent cutter. I have the boron coating over stonewash. It's very hard to scratch. I got one with a black handle (didn't care much for the "green"). The shape of the handle is extremely ergonomic and is one of the most comfortable knives that I possess. As usual. . the microbar is very impressive. The clip capability is right on target. It's wide and not excessively long. The only parts on the knife that aren't black are the screws, microbar, clip and pivot (wish that they would put all black hardware on it ~ and without calling it a "Tactical" and charging $100+ to add a black clip, black microbar, black screws and a black pivot).

Get one. . .you won't regret it !

The Buck-Strider spearpoint is an handful of rock solid knife that impresses me everytime I use it.I would recommend it without any second thoughts.
The Sifu is tempting though if the rumors are true about it being discontinued.

The Commander is a large well made knife but it feels way too slim to me for the size. I expected beefier.

I don't have much experience with the other models, but the two Striders get my vote for toughness.

Get the Sifu if you are looking for a large "fighting folder".
Get the Carnivour if you need a "fighter/utility folder".

The Strider Solution looks pretty nice, too.

Go for the Sifu...:).

Ah, what fun shopping for toys :D

It's a tossup for me between the Commander, Amphibian, Savant and now I gotta add another

The Onion Boa
K1580.jpg

Now I don't know much at all about this knife, but in reading other threads - the open/close fun factor seems pretty high in the Onion line ;) And as much as I'd like to say this decision is based upon usage, fun does play a part of it too :D

CPM-440c is somrthing I've had no experience with, so I'd be interested how it compares to the 154cm and ATS-34

Thanks for all the ideas so far, keep 'em coming.

Dan

Gah - another one for opinions please, the REKAT Pocket Hobbit.

PH.jpg

So ugly, yet strangly appealing - your thoughts?

Thanks!

Dan

So many toys, so little time ... and the CUDA Maxx 5.5 isn't even out yet !!!

Dan, you're looking for a utility knife (among other factors).

Lose the Orion, Commander and Mini-Commander, Sifu, Boa, Pocket Hobbit. You don't want to find out the titanium doesn't hold up in the field. The Emersons are not letter-openers or vegetable slicers and the Wave is neat but unnecessary. The Sifu is too big for fine work. The Boa is probably OK, but I distrust toys for heavy use. The PH is freaky; you don't want to get hung up on those serrations -- but I want one myself! -- OTOH, maybe you do want those serrations!

Pick one, any one: Buck/Strider, Strider Solution, Amphibian, Savant and Carnivore. None of these will fail, and they are all compact/ergonomic.

Personally, I trust any Microtech as much as I trust my Sebenzas, and the Amphibian is a great design: the belly of the blade dips below your knuckles holding a hump-backed handle for a precision slice or a power push. I'd say, go for it.

Good info, thanks E.B.!

So, the choices are narrowing. From what I have heard on some other forums, there are QC issues with REKATS, but I think the Savant is still in the running. The blade steel is extremely important to me and I was told that the 440V has better edge holding than 154CM/ATS-34.

So, speaking of use and abuse in an all around kind of knife that is fun to open and won't fail me when I need it -- seems the Buck/Strider, Amphibian (issues with the thumb studs?) Savant and now, the below knives are running around inside my head screaming "Buy me Buy me!!"

Speaking of good steels - D2 and M2? I had a Dozier made of D2 that was the greatest (I still kick myself for selling it) So what about these?

AFCK in D2 steel
BM806D2.jpg

or this Benchmade - the McHenry Williams Large Axis Lock, M2 Steel
BM710HS.jpg

So now I'm looking hard at how good the steel is, how versatile the blade is, how well the locking mechanism works, and how tough the knife is overall.

Damn if I don't feel like a little old lady that can't make up her mind (My apologies to all the little old ladies out there - but I've stood in line behind ya'll :D)

Thanks - and have patience with me, I will make a decision soon.

Dan

Hey Java!

I have an older AFCK in ATS-34. The handle is GREAT and the blade shape lends itself well to utility work. The lock up on mine (liner lock) has never failed me, and (honestly) shows no signs of wear. I got a PERFECT liner lock.

I have no experience with D2 or M2. I have heard that if you take care of it, M2 is an improvement over ATS-34 in almost every other way. Tougher, holds an edge longer, takes a great edge, etc.

Personally, of the knives you listed, I'd probably get the Buck Strider spear point, or the Pocket Hobbit (only if I were wanting something cool, though.) The pocket Hobbit is a fighting folder, so I'm not sure how well it lends itself for every day chores and such. I also tend to shy away from recurves, as I am doing more freehand bench stone sharpening. Recurves are great cutters, but I'd rather make an extra slice or two and save myself the sharpening problems. I do liek khukiris, however... :)

The Buck Strider Spear Point gives you a tough knife with a pointy blade but with a nice curve. Spend a few minutes with some 400 grit paper (outside, and preferably with some sort of mask on) smoothing out the rough edges and you have yourself one hell of a folder, that will be there when you need it most, as you asked for. I'm sure the Axis knives will do you fine as well. You have a tough choice. Good luck!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Whenever it is...

Back