BK 16 -like knife with a larger handle???

Okay, so in an attempt to find a fancier, more solid hand/ bushcraft/ hip knife and move away from my $15 marttinii's and Mora's, I bought a BK 16 -Absolutely BEAUTIFUL knife. Love everything about it, but the handle is juuust half an inch too short for my hand. If that handle was just as tudge longer, OMG -But it's not...

Suggestions, y'all??

I'm thinking relatively same price and specs as BK 16. More "budget friendly" options welcome!

-T

Utica has or had a series of flat-ground powder-coated 1095 survival knives, I think something like 4" to 7" blades. I have the 5". The handle is plenty long (I wear an XL Carhartt mitten). It feels a little wide in principle, but is fine in use.
ZAe160H.jpg

Last edited:
Utica has or had a series of flat-ground powder-coated 1095 survival knives, I think something like 4" to 7" blades. I have the 5". The handle is plenty long (I wear an XL Carhartt mitten). It feels a little wide in principle, but is fine in use.
ZAe160H.jpg

Those knives are SWEET!! Never seen them before! THANK YOU!!

View attachment 1531078
I been wanting to get one of these Gerber knives for awhile. Called the Spine of all things.
3.7 inch blade so maybe on the small side of what your looking for
View attachment 1531078
I been wanting to get one of these Gerber knives for awhile. Called the Spine of all things.
3.7 inch blade so maybe on the small side of what your looking for

Dude, I LOVE blades with that slight arc over the whole thing! Kershaw camp 10 has it and I LOVE that blade. Yeah, I'm looking for maybe a little longer (and more pronounced finger guard. Just my personal preference...), but I've been really curious about those Gerber USA made knives! Have yet to try one!

Have you considered making a longer set of scales for the bk16? Just add a 3/16" spacer to fill in the gap.

Another option is the Ontario TAK.
Handles are a little blocky, but 30 seconds using some 100 grit emory cloth like a shoeshine rag will fix that.

Also, those utica knives are a clone of the ESEE 3, which means the handle will probably be too short.

Have you considered making a longer set of scales for the bk16? Just add a 3/16" spacer to fill in the gap.

Another option is the Ontario TAK.
Handles are a little blocky, but 30 seconds using some 100 grit emory cloth like a shoeshine rag will fix that.

Also, those utica knives are a clone of the ESEE 3, which means the handle will probably be too short.

Honestly, the thought crossed my mind (making new scales) but the steel in the handle follows the scales exactly, so to create more room for my hand to "spread out", I'd have to grind away at the belly of the tang a bit and I'm not sure I wanna do that. Also, I'll just say this: I'm not necessarily the first person you would hire to do your handy work... Haha!

I've actually been eyeing those Ontario knives for a while, but I can't stand it when they put a finger choil on these little blades! Makes no sense to me!! I think their Kephart style knives look really cool -They've got the "Blackbird" (expensive and stainless, I believe) and the "Bushcraft utility" 4 and 5in models (around $77). Seem cool...

I'm honestly kinda in love with my Marttiini Condor Timberjack after my BK 16 fail. Anybody ever tried that knife? I haven't really tested the knife yet, but fit and finish-wise it's just great! I have an old Mora Classic #2 (w/ finger guard) and I have absolutely beat the living hell out of that knife and it's still going strong. I have no idea what they use to stick/ glue that thing into the handle, but whatever it is it works.

Last edited:
One of the longest handles I've seen has been on the L.T. Wright Traveller knife. It has tons of room. Thin, but long and comfortable. Like a mix between a Bowie, and a medium kitchen knife. I love it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210403_172145.jpg
    IMG_20210403_172145.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 25
Boy, yeah... That's a nice knife!!

Costly, though, I imagine...?

Honestly, not really that bad.... I Love Becker's, but by the time you customize them with new handle scales, and sheaths it puts them into the same price category.

The traveller goes for around 150.
I wish the handle was a tiny bit thicker, I have big palms. But I love the knife, and got a great deal on it....but if something happened to it, I'd replace it for sure! It's in my Top 10 list of favorites I have.

I feel the Traveller is a unknown/underappreciated knife.

Heck, even when you first pick it up, Your first impressions are "Meh.......". But once you hold it long enough, your hand learns how awesome it Is, with it's simple design.

It's similar like a Kephart is..... being both Boring, and Genius at the same time!!! Haha

I feel the Traveller is a unknown/underappreciated knife.

Heck, even when you first pick it up, Your first impressions are "Meh.......". But once you hold it long enough, your hand learns how awesome it Is, with it's simple design.

It's similar like a Kephart is..... being both Boring, and Genius at the same time!!! Haha

I know what you mean about "simple" designs -My first "real" knife was a Mora Classic with the metal finger guard. When I was using that knife, I made notes and started to "design" a knife of my own. I ended up designing a Kephart knife without ever seeing one before! Ha!

Those cheap Mora's get much better after you use them for a while and the edge gets more convexed and the shoulder smooths out, in my opinion. Been thinking about grinding some down recently...

Also, if you are interested..... A fellow BF member here has a subforum.
JK Handmade Knives.
Custom work, very reasonable with cost.
Mostly small/medium outdoor kind of knives.

Has a Loyal following here.
I have one ordered,I've heard once you get one......more will eventually come.

Also, if you are interested..... A fellow BF member here has a subforum.
JK Handmade Knives.
Custom work, very reasonable with cost.
Mostly small/medium outdoor kind of knives.

Has a Loyal following here.
I have one ordered,I've heard once you get one......more will eventually come.

Oh, sweet! Thanks for letting me know!

Been wanting to get into custom blades recently and this sounds like the perfect place to start!

Thanks!

Cheers!

Oh, sweet! Thanks for letting me know!

Been wanting to get into custom blades recently and this sounds like the perfect place to start!

Thanks!

Cheers!

He's known for his edc knife, kepharts, recently a outdoor pairing knife type called the Bluegill, and I think he makes the prettiest Canadian Belt Knife I've ever seen!

Check out his older designs. On his subforum. (His website doesn't show much)

He's known for his edc knife, kepharts, recently a outdoor pairing knife type called the Bluegill, and I think he makes the prettiest Canadian Belt Knife I've ever seen!

Check out his older designs. On his subforum. (His website doesn't show much)

Sweet! Will do!

Been looking for the right Kephart and this might be the ticket -Still don't have a Kephart, yet!

Yeah, I just took a look at his website. I'll check out the subforum.

Thanks, again!

How about a BK-62 Becker Kephart?
The Kephart is what inspired Ethan’s design of the 16. I just got one and I like the bigger handle than the Tweeners handles.
Good luck!

Back