BK-9 came without BK-13 - is this normal now?

Ordered from Amazon - all the reviews I read said the included bk-13 was great, etc. Just wondering if this is something that's no longer included. Thanks!

Yes, the BK9 with the BK13 was a limited run, a product testing kinda thing. It was never advertised as being permanent, and they only came with the Chinese BK13s. Now that the Remora is made in the USA, they are no longer placing them with the BK9 or the BK7. Some retailers still have old stock, that have some, but they are getting more and more scarce. The sheath still has the sheath for it, as a place to locate one to create a near perfect combo for the woods.

Moose

It was while there was a supply of them. If you really want one, you can get a quality made in USA piece now. The freebies were made in China.

(nothing on Chinese manufacturing, though)

BLAH, I hate you Moose.

Ah - think I answered my own question; I revised my forum search a bit and found another thread about it. Looks like it isn't - if I'm wrong lemme know and I'll contact the seller for my wee baby knife. Thanks!

Now that the Remora is made in the USA

Moose

I didn't know that.. kewl, makes the whole thought of buying one separately worth the while as I'm not about to spend what is it $14 or so on a chinese version, I mean its ok and all I've use mine just a little and it is what it is.. a small knife..

Do you know if its the same steel as the chinese version?????

I didn't know that.. kewl, makes the whole thought of buying one separately worth the while as I'm not about to spend what is it $14 or so on a chinese version, I mean its ok and all I've use mine just a little and it is what it is.. a small knife..

No, better steel. Beckers are an American company, always have been, always will be, as long as E's around. The Chinese made Remoras were made to test the design and desire for the blade, and honestly, for what the Chinese BK13s cost, they could afford to give them away. They were a hit, so some retooling was done, and bam, American BK13.

The steel is 440C I believe, and can only be found in the clamshell pack, no open blades on those. The sheaths are still in the BK9 and BK7 sheaths, so, grab 'em up.

Moose

man you guys were fast, I tried to update the thread before anyone replied so you wouldn't waste your time - I've already ordered a bk13 from amazon.. I hate having that naked spot in the pouch :p

man you guys were fast, I tried to update the thread before anyone replied so you wouldn't waste your time - I've already ordered a bk13 from amazon.. I hate having that naked spot in the pouch :p

Welcome to the Becker forums, we loves our knives, and we loves helping out. Stick around and read some, we got a ton of info, contests, and other things going on. Post enough, thread enough, and you get to be a Beckerhead, and THEN the real fun starts.

Moose

It looks like my bk-5 has that little sheath also. I got one of those teeny little bare blades in my Potbelly sheath, and it's kinda handy to use on a fire steel.

As Moose said the new ones are better steel. I have one of each...my BK-7 came with one, my BK-9 didn't and that was a year ago. I do like the newer ones better since they come with their own sheath and feel more dense. They do come with a reeeeaally nice edge too :)

Well kabar.com says the remora is 440a, so now Im forced to ask whats chinese one made out of? I just got one with my bk9 (must have been old stock, sometimes it pays to be Canadian) and you guys are discouraging me, I was so excited to have it that me and the 9 haven't even told it its adopted from china. So who knows what steel it is?

Well kabar.com says the remora is 440a, so now Im forced to ask whats chinese one made out of? I just got one with my bk9 (must have been old stock, sometimes it pays to be Canadian) and you guys are discouraging me, I was so excited to have it that me and the 9 haven't even told it its adopted from china. So who knows what steel it is?

Perhaps same steel, but different heat treat. I know my USA made ones hold an edge alot better than the Chinese ones. I assumed that the 440a was the chinese and the 440C was the American made.

Only Toooj will know for sure.

Toooj? You got anything that can help us out?

Moose

Perhaps same steel, but different heat treat. I know my USA made ones hold an edge alot better than the Chinese ones. I assumed that the 440a was the chinese and the 440C was the American made.

Only Toooj will know for sure.

Toooj? You got anything that can help us out?

Moose

Dont we have to blow into a unicorns horn or sometihng to summon Tooj?:rolleyes:

I like edge retention.. :D kinda makes a knife worth while:)

but you know I used the chinese version when I made my bow drill kit.. it engraved a few things, etc.. and was still paper cutting sharp.. but again I didn't use it very much..

came in handy though, as I didn't have a small becker, and I used the 2 for all the engravings and held it close to the tip and man that thing so heavy it started cramping my hand:( this is before I realized HEY I have a remora in my 7 sheath...!!!!

I just read elsewhere that the bk13 included is 3Cr13 stainless steel. Sounds like your standard chinese mystery steel.

Back