Review BK62 Video Review

I wouldn't worry about it, there's always those types of people that make the comments. Even if they were right, it's the way they come off, as if they were the final word on the subject, haha.

I'm sure the production/commercial version of the colclesser brothers would have slight differences to a hand-made prototype. I believe I read somewhere the biggest difference was that Kephart's own knife had a 4.5 inch blade, whereas the colclesser bros offered either a 4inch or a 5 inch version. When it comes to the rant about ergonomics: well I'd say you fact checked that already in your review. The knife seems to be pretty comfortable and handle quite well. That is also my own experience up until now (just some light kitchen use).

If I like the knife enough I might commission a custom knife based on this design but with slightly thicker handles though (and in a more stain resistant steel). Not much thicker, though.

The knife Horace Kephart carried, is in a museum. I believe the Joe Flowers interpreted Condor Kephart was modeled after it. There are pictures of Mr. Kephart with the knife on his belt. In "Camping and Woodcraft" Kephart claims the knife was "of his own design" and "made by a country blacksmith". The Colclesser Brothers add claims the knife was designed by Horace Kephart. It sounds to me like Mr. Kephart carried a custom knife made by a local blacksmith just the way he wanted it and the Colclesser Brothers made a factory version. I don't know, maybe Kephart adopted or tweaked an existing pattern to suit him the way George Washington Sears' cut down skinning knife would become known as the Nessmuk pattern or a drop point hunter is a Loveless pattern. There are only so many way to make a knife. Oh, and my BK62 should arrive today.
Edit: Some sailor's fixed blade knives had a spear point, but many were sheep's foot, all had a lanyard hole, and none that I have seen had a guard.

Last edited:
The knife Horace Kephart carried, is in a museum. I believe the Joe Flowers interpreted Condor Kephart was modeled after it. There are pictures of Mr. Kephart with the knife on his belt. In "Camping and Woodcraft" Kephart claims the knife was "of his own design" and "made by a country blacksmith". The Colclesser Brothers add claims the knife was designed by Horace Kephart. It sounds to me like Mr. Kephart carried a custom knife made by a local blacksmith just the way he wanted it and the Colclesser Brothers made a factory version. I don't know, maybe Kephart adopted or tweaked an existing pattern to suit him the way George Washington Sears' cut down skinning knife would become known as the Nessmuk pattern or a drop point hunter is a Loveless pattern. There are only so many way to make a knife. Oh, and my BK62 should arrive today.
Edit: Some sailor's fixed blade knives had a spear point, but many were sheep's foot, all had a lanyard hole, and none that I have seen had a guard.
It is in a museum indeed. There's a thread around here somewhere, where Joe and Ethan visited that place.

Never seen a photo of Kephart with his knife, would love to see it.

EDIT: I guess this one does show him wearing a knife, although hard to see:

You could be right about the Colclesser Bros not making the original. People may assume that, because he did use a Colclesser made tomahawk:

“Among my most valued possessions is a tiny Colclesser tomahawk, of 8-ounce head and 2 1/2 inch bit, which, with hickory handle and home-made sheath, weighs only three-quarters of a pound. I seldom go anywhere in the woods (unless in marching order with a heavier axe) without this little trick. It is all that is needed to put up a satisfactory shelter wherever there is hemlock or balsam, or bark that will peel, while for other service I use it oftener than I do my jackknife.”

Congrats on the new BK62, really like mine.

Last edited:
The poster lost me when he called someone a "snowflake".
Yeah... so charming lol.

Fun and informative video! Thanks for taking the time and effort to share Captain Airyca.
(btw, couldn't help but give a little attitude-check to that keyboard Einstein in your comments :rolleyes:)
Wow, thank you for going above and beyond! I've refrained from commenting myself, but I enjoyed yours :)

I can't swear that Kephart's personal knife wasn't slightly different in size or handle girth etc ...

but from my understanding the Colclesser Brother's knives were copies of Horace's personal knife ... and the knife Ethan based the BK62 on is from one of the Colclesser brothers knives which he came to own ...

I think it was just someone trying to inject themselves into your review ...

I don't believe anything you said or posted was "wrong" in the way that was meant ... slightly different particulars I don't think make a difference in this context ... even if that is true ...

some just can't leave well enough alone ... I enjoyed your review and wouldn't worry that you mislead anyone in anyway ... it is a well made and well thought out review from someone that did some research and gave a very honest straight forward review ...

thank you for doing it :thumbsup:
Thank you! This is the assumption I had. I mean, if there is written documentation either way, I'd love to read it, but I don't think that makes the BK62 some how not a Kephart knife!

It is in a museum indeed. There's a thread around here somewhere, where Joe and Ethan visited that place.

You could be right about the Colclesser Bros not making the original. People may assume that, because he did use a Colclesser made tomahawk:

“Among my most valued possessions is a tiny Colclesser tomahawk, of 8-ounce head and 2 1/2 inch bit, which, with hickory handle and home-made sheath, weighs only three-quarters of a pound. I seldom go anywhere in the woods (unless in marching order with a heavier axe) without this little trick. It is all that is needed to put up a satisfactory shelter wherever there is hemlock or balsam, or bark that will peel, while for other service I use it oftener than I do my jackknife.”

It sure doesn't look very big. And from the pics I've seen, Kephart is also kinda a small dude it seems like. Correct me if I'm wrong!

1095CV is a deeper hardening steel than plain old 1095. It has about the same amount of chrome as say 5160 or CruForgeV and the chrome was specifically added to CFV to make it deeper hardening. What you do find with CFV is that it actually may be tougher in the low 60's than it is when you get to say 57-58. In the case of 1095 and other shallow hardening steels like W1. W2, Hitachi white steel, etc, on a thicker blade, the center of the spine is not going to harden to the same degree as the edge anyway. That is how you get the "accidental hamon" on bigger 1095 knives.
As for the embrittlement zone, not sure where that comes from but what I have seen on here form the metallurgists says that 1095 does not have an embrittlement problem because it has almost no alloying and very low manganese, which can be one of the drivers of embrittlement.
I was under the impression that 1095 (not sure about 1095CV?) has an embrittlement zone around 60 hrc and that for this reason it is best run at 58 or below or at 62 or higher. Most Kabar knives are made to be used and abused including chopping, batoning and some prying so it makes sense that they would lean towards the softer side. Again, not sure if 1095CV behaves the same?

I bought a bare Condor blade to use as a pattern and all I can say is that I hope Horace's knife has a thinner edge. :eek:;)

Here is a link to the thread I was thinking of. The op of that thread wanted detailed information about the sheath Kephart used to carry his knife. Page 1 has the photo you posted and page 2 has another photo of Kephart carrying the knife.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...ic-kephart-sheath-could-use-some-help.961061/
Here is a link to a followup thread...well...just because.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...es-of-kepharts-sheath-from-the-museum.964377/

Last edited:
Your video is interesting and comprehensive. The history presented is accurate as far as I know. The tasks performed; food prep, fire building, and light utility; are relevant for me and mirror how I use my camp knives. Your impressions of the knife are meaningful because of the time you took to get to know the tool, and your enthusiasm is contagious. Well done.

Every youtube comment I read was positive except for 2. You could argue with the trolls, but what is the point? My mother-in-law used to say, “When you wrestle a pig, you both get dirty, but the pig enjoys it.” I’d ignore the negative and focus on the positive.

Last edited:
Here is a link to the thread I was thinking of. The op of that thread wanted detailed information about the sheath Kephart used to carry his knife. Page 1 has the photo you posted and page 2 has another photo of Kephart carrying the knife.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...ic-kephart-sheath-could-use-some-help.961061/
Here is a link to a followup thread...well...just because.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...es-of-kepharts-sheath-from-the-museum.964377/
Interesting threads!! Thank you!

Your video is interesting and comprehensive. The history presented is accurate as far as I know. The tasks performed; food prep, fire building, and light utility; are relevant for me and mirror how I use my camp knives. Your impressions of the knife are meaningful because of the time you took to get to know the tool, and your enthusiasm is contagious. Well done.

Every youtube comment I read was positive except for 2. You could argue with the trolls, but what is the point? My mother-in-law used to say, “When you wrestle a pig, you both get dirty, but the pig enjoys it.” I’d ignore the negative and focus on the positive.
Thank you, you're totally right. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't totally wrong. I think it'll be fine. I'm definitely focusing on the positive, I've been so happy that other folks have been enjoying the video. It was one that I really made "for me" in the sense that I thought the information should be out there in that format, even if I'm the only one that wants a 40 min video on the knife lol.

Erica, can you measure the thickness of the edge right at the top of edge bevel? I am curious. The Condor is over 45 thousands which is almost 3 times as thick as the most recent Kephart that I made, Mine is like 15 for most of the blade and around 20 thou at the heel. That leaving the heal even beefier even when there isn't a true heal is a habit I developed making kitchen knives.

Erica, can you measure the thickness of the edge right at the top of edge bevel? I am curious. The Condor is over 45 thousands which is almost 3 times as thick as the most recent Kephart that I made, Mine is like 15 for most of the blade and around 20 thou at the heel. That leaving the heal even beefier even when there isn't a true heal is a habit I developed making kitchen knives.
I don't have a precise measurement tool beyond a normal ruler, will that work?

Nope. If you are going to be a harsh knife critic, you need to go to Home Depot or Lowes and get some digital calipers. :D
I don't have a precise measurement tool beyond a normal ruler, will that work?

Last edited:
Nope. If you are gong to be a harsh knife critic, you need to go to Home Depot or Lowes and get some digital calipers. :D
Haha! Not a critic! More of an enthusiast? Lol! I still should get some though. I'll ask my father-in-law the next time I see him, he might have something like that.

Quick and dirty measurement before work about an inch forward of the plunge grind...
Condor Kephart blade blank .050"
Esee PR-4 .035"
Becker BK62 .025"
Mitutoyo caliper; first time I've measured blade thickness behind the edge; I'd like to take the time to measure more carefully 2 or 3 spots along the edge, but that will have to wait.

Last edited:
Cool. 25 is much more like it than 50 for sure. I just measured a couple of large blades that are ready for heat treatment, they came in at around 35 thou
Quick and dirty measurement before work about an inch forward of the plunge grind...
Condor Kephart .050"
Esee PR-4 .035"
Becker BK62 .025"
Mitutoyo caliper; first time I've measured blade thickness behind the edge; I'd like to take the time to measure more carefully 2 or 3 spots along the edge, but that will have to wait.

Last edited:
Condor Kephart .050"
Esee PR-4 .035"
Becker BK62 .025"

I checked the measurements last night and they are accurate. I also took measurement at the belly of each blade down from the point and they were consistent with these numbers.

Back