BK9 and Amateur Radio

Howdy. It has been many months since my last confession.

I like spending time in the hills. Most of the time I get out in the bush to go hunting. Recently, though, I renewed my amateur radio operators certificate after a break of around 32 years.

There is a lot of radio interference at home, so today I carried my gear up to a local skyline. Using a beloved '9' I cut a pole from a pest plant and lashed my commercially=made vertical antenna to the top of it. It was a great idea, but I have never used gear like this until recently and I didn't really think about the necessity of a counterpoise wire or ground plane. When that antenna is fixed to my car roof-rack it works well, but today it was lacking. After a little reflection I realised my error, so I found a nearby wire fence which could act as a mounting point and a ground plane.

I was pleased with the lack of interference up in the hills. I didn't manage to get a reply to my calls using low power, but it was a good 'shakedown cruise' for my gear and I will be better prepared next time. If everything worked perfectly as planned, life might become a little boring.

Here is my initial set-up...

6Y82UML.jpg

And here is how things ended up....

ZpKsmJF.jpg

SO23mfx.jpg

Sounds like a fun day.

Not quite the same, but one time I was four wheeling in my jeep in NH and picked up a skip from FLA. on my CB

Woods time is good time, even if you are setting up radio equipment...which reminds me:
My dad had (the radio still exists...) one of the first small AM transistor radios, deep red Bakelite case with a brass speaker screen, ca: late 50's cutting edge tech - that he used to listen to Red Sox games on WBZ located in Boston (MA) from our living room in Rochester, NY several hundred miles away, with the Adirondacks in between, no problem. He'd get "bounces" from all over the place, depending on the cloud cover and pressure systems in the signal path. Cool stuff, Stephen. Thanks for sharing!

Back