Blade 2013 thread! (KAI related)

I appreciate this thread, it has been a great way for those of use that are passionate about new Kai Blades to stay informed.
I guess my search of "KVT" and "SpeedSafe" were not good enough, I just found it while going through all the search results for "0454", I didn't think to search for "flipper". And, I didn't see anything on this in the stickies. Thanks for being so helpful.

I feel you man. I searched and couldn't find it as well (and was wondering the same thing - I know the Aluminum-scaled one was assisted, but I couldn't find if the CF scaled version had been changed). I don't know what's up with all the negativity around BF lately. Some folks need to chill out and enjoy life more - especially with all these cool new toys coming out.

Also something I couldn't find - will the 0770 have a Detent for those of us who might want to de-assist them (last I heard, the 0566 will - it and the 0770CF are my two favorite new ZTs coming out)?

One last thing - I'm loving the new ZTs, but has anyone else noticed that the Kershaw models are really stepping it up as well? From the stuff at SHOT to the new models I've seen in videos at BLADE, they're getting beefier and packed with a ton of upgrades for a still-budget-friendly price-point (so, I'll be handing out plenty of new Kershaws for Christmas this year :) ).

My hat's off to KAI - they are really doing some exciting things right now.

I feel you man. I searched and couldn't find it as well (and was wondering the same thing - I know the Aluminum-scaled one was assisted, but I couldn't find if the CF scaled version had been changed). I don't know what's up with all the negativity around BF lately. Some folks need to chill out and enjoy life more - especially with all these cool new toys coming out.

Also something I couldn't find - will the 0770 have a Detent for those of us who might want to de-assist them (last I heard, the 0566 will - it and the 0770CF are my two favorite new ZTs coming out)?

One last thing - I'm loving the new ZTs, but has anyone else noticed that the Kershaw models are really stepping it up as well? From the stuff at SHOT to the new models I've seen in videos at BLADE, they're getting beefier and packed with a ton of upgrades for a still-budget-friendly price-point (so, I'll be handing out plenty of new Kershaws for Christmas this year :) ).

My hat's off to KAI - they are really doing some exciting things right now.

No negativity at all, my thread, my suggestion. Just trying to be helpful and let the newer people know how some of us weathered users find information. Its been said before by the mods and I am relaying the information like I was asked to do. If you or anyone else have any questions feel free to contact me or a moderator

Thanks, -J

Hey KAI,

did you try to put the grooves of the aluminum 0770 on the cf 0770? Wonder how that would look like.

[video=youtube;6kIt-vj1iD0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kIt-vj1iD0[/video]

BladeHQ piece on the new stuff.

Last edited:
Hey KAI,

did you try to put the grooves of the aluminum 0770 on the cf 0770? Wonder how that would look like.

I wanted to do that, but unfortunately, carbon fiber likes to eat expensive cutter bits. It would add significant extra cost and trouble to make the milled portions that the Aluminum version had. Trust me though, I am bummed that we had to give up this feature. :(

Im for sure getting:
801CF, 454, 0770CF, 0566

I may not get the the 0600 anymore, I didn't expect to spend on those four knives named above!

I really also want a 0560BW

Jimmer, I'm loving the 0770CF nonetheless. I wasn't going to get a 0770 at first.

I wanted to do that, but unfortunately, carbon fiber likes to eat expensive cutter bits. It would add significant extra cost and trouble to make the milled portions that the Aluminum version had. Trust me though, I am bummed that we had to give up this feature. :(

Interesting to know that CF is more agressive to cutter bits than aluminum.

Jimmer, I'm loving the 0770CF nonetheless. I wasn't going to get a 0770 at first.

+1 For me the change made the 0770 move from "I'm not interested" to "must have".

On my wanderings I just found a PA outfit that's offering preorders for the 0454 and the 0801CF for $1000 ea. :eek::eek: That's just wrong. Caveat Emptor!

null_zpsf188674f.jpg

What is that ZT in the middle? Haven't seen anyone talk about it.

Very excited about the 0560BW and the 0801CF.

EDIT, my bad, I see now that it's the 0600.

Last edited:
Top is the kershaw tyrade, middle is the zt 0600. Its been extensively discussed in other threads.

Edit: oops didn't see your edit!

What is that ZT in the middle? Haven't seen anyone talk about it.

Very excited about the 0560BW and the 0801CF.

EDIT, my bad, I see now that it's the 0600.

A few people have been confused by that display in general.

It was a display that we put up in an effort to win the "Manufacturing Quality" award. The top knife is a Kershaw Tyrade, which won Overall knife of the Year in 2007. The middle knife is a ZT 0600 which one Collaboration of the Year in 2012. The bottom knife is a Shun Fuji which won Kitchen Knife of the Year in 2011.

We wanted to use a sampling of award winning knives to showcase our quality, so we weren't too worried about how old the designs were.

I'm curious about this great-looking new knife the Hoshi by Shun Cutlery. By itself it would make a beautiful display!

Does that copper/stainless steel blade material have any potential on a ZT folder or would the clear coating to avoid copper discoloration not last long on a hard-use ZT folder? Paired with say the frame of the ZT 0801CF it would make a stunning piece!

Back