Blade Brothers Discovery 9pm

this is the most fake show i have ever seen. saying you must have a set time to get soak time on stainless steel is bull or it will warp and i doublt he got 12000 buck is wrong if he puts it in a vise to air cool like everyone else it will not warp this show is crap of people in the know you can't fool intelligent people
Dickie, you need to read what you type before you post. :D But I agree with most of what you said, the heat treat scene was screwed up!

Guys,
The thing to remember is that there are a LOT of people that do not know some people spend their lives making custom knives. Yes, this was a fake-drama, scripted Discovery channel show. However, there are hundreds of thousands of guys that will be standing in their offices Monday morning sipping coffee saying, "Did you see that show about those guys that were making custom knives? I would like one of those...." Then they google "custom knife" and we have added another knife collector to our market. As more and more people start making knives, we have to expand the market or we will all go broke. Yes, I would have much rather seen a show along the lines of "the Woodwright's shop" from PBS featuring a knifemaker doing hand work rather than running a CAD design and biting his nails while his "Rug rats" actually made the blade, but that would have never made the viewership this one got. Be happy... THERE WERE KNIFEMAKERS ON TV!
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner! This is what it's all about. TV can and will expose more people to custom knives.

There are more knife making shows coming, different makers and different networks.

Dickie, you need to read what you type before you post. :D But I agree with most of what you said, the heat treat scene was screwed up!

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner! This is what it's all about. TV can and will expose more people to custom knives.

There are more knife making shows coming, different makers and different networks.

I sure hope so ! Do you assume there will be more, or have you heard there will be more ? I hope its the latter.

I sure hope so ! Do you assume there will be more, or have you heard there will be more ? I hope its the latter.

I was contacted by 3 different producers for 3 different potential shows. I don't want to be on TV, so turned them down. I know of one other show for sure that's in the works right know.

I hope this first show didn't flop so bad as to put a stop to the others. Too much focus on knives as weapons in my opinion.

Too much focus on knives as weapons in my opinion.

While I wouldn't want to see your work reduced to "reality" television, I'd love to see a series of 30 minute or one-hour specials highlighting custom makers such as yourself. Maybe the Outdoor Channel would be a more appropriate outlet, with an emphasis on hunting knives?

I wasnt real impressed with this show either I would like to see more knives being made not stupid ninja weapons. I had high hopes for this show it was kind of a let down. I do hope it succeeds and maybe gets better.

I watched and agree with the Chopper influence. John is like Paul Sr. Todd is like Paul Jr. Mark is like Mikey. Also, too much fantasy knife making and not enough custom knife making for my liking.

You nailed it! That said, all three Begg brothers are personable and entertaining, and the two episodes I watched were interesting. If I was producer/director, I'd of course have done some things differently (probably alot of what the rest of you folks recommended), but since Discovery Channel produced the show, I think it's about as good a job as Discovery Channel can do. I'll definitely keep watching if they air more episodes ... and I want a Bodega Black Gold. :)

I wasted an hour watching that disaster. It is a "formula" reality show on the Discovery network. Most, if not all, have an idiot in them. (At least Chumlee is likable.)
The idiot brother in this one is like fingernails on a chalk board. I can't imagine anyone putting up with his crap even if he is family.

I realize that it's the 1st attempt at a knife show, but they could have done a lot better. It's supposed to be a reality show, not a situation comedy. The only
thing missing is a laugh track.

Hey! That's just my opinion. Your's may differ. ;)

I guess to their defense it's Called Blade Brothers and not Knife Maker. So the far out things they make and the BS story are under the title umbrella. I for one think I still haven't seen a custom knife making show. How many of you Guys have a whatever thousand foot shop with a dozen employees making "Custom Knives"? I really don't know any Custom makers personally but I think there has to be a few that could entertain you while making an actual knife. I'll bet most of the Guys would be afraid of letting some of their secrets out.
The knives as weapons thing is another debate by itself. I would have to say that the Begg brother's demo was a classic weapon demo ripping into a head with the first contraption and splitting a hog with the other.

I'm not of the opinion that any exposure is good exposure.

"Blade Brothers" in my opinion depicted "knife people" as weirdos, goofballs, and overgrown children who like to play with knives (chopping up a pig carcass, stabbing a dummy through a car roof with a ridiculous and completely impractical "knife-toy", walking the street carrying big scary knives in their hands).

Just my opinions. Consider me NOT a fan.

I read that most reality shows are loosely scripted, with directors prodding stars to act certain ways, and they feed them funny lines to speak, etc. Then the shows are heavily edited to make the point the producers intend.

It was just bad. I'm not sure I made it through 5 minutes. select: cancel series

On the bright side, I will check out "How It's Made".

Last edited:
I was contacted by 3 different producers for 3 different potential shows. I don't want to be on TV, so turned them down. I know of one other show for sure that's in the works right know.

I hope this first show didn't flop so bad as to put a stop to the others. Too much focus on knives as weapons in my opinion.

I don't blame you for turning them down, but I'm glad to hear another show is in the works. Thanks.

Anybody seen the reality show Blade Brothers on the Discovery Channel? If not, avoid it. Terrible show. Actually, no, you should check it out. It's worth watching for the exactly same reason we all stare at car wrecks when we pass by, morbid curiosity.

The show is about a custom knife maker named Todd Beggs. According to the show, he's a "legend in the knife community". Been collecting high-end customs for many years but never heard of the guy. Now I know why. The knives are kind a cross between silly fantasy themed blades for teenagers and the mall ninja junk available at any swap meet for $5-$10. Except these are made of very high end materials by some skilled craftsmen so they go for thousands of dollars. Still, as a "knife guy" I was interested in seeing the actual production of the knives. Unfortunately very little of that was to be seen. In the end, the knives, in my opinion, are not suitable for the woods, work, kitchen, EDC or battle and thus kind of pointless (no pun intended).

The man himself, Todd Beggs, seems to be a pretty cool guy but his little brother Mark drives me up the wall. He's the kind of guy we have all met at parties: the dude who thinks he's super funny but no one ever laughs at his jokes. His constant, nonsensical antics really lower the enjoyment factor on a show that was already iffy to begin with. Sadly this is what the show is actually about: Todd's interactions with his brothers, Mark in particular. Well, that, and them trying to sell ridiculously gaudy knives to people who have way too much money to spend.

I think it's great that Discovery has tried to make a show pertaining to the industry we here at Bladeforums love but this one is a miss. Discovery could have literally taken the names of 10 reputable custom makers, picked one out of a hat and I promise you it would have been a better show.

One might think that, in spite of the absurdity of the show, it might bring interest to the industry. I disagree. Considering the content of the program I actually think it will drive people away. And I'd really hate for people to think, that since I'm a "knife guy", I have anything in common with some of the people on the show or that I'm interested in the kind of products they are making.

Anybody else seen this farce and care to weigh in here?

How have you never heard of Todd Begg?!?!?!

He makes some VERY nice stuff
BeggBodegaCF-DWeikumPhoto-L.jpg

Those ones don't look too bad(if you wanna spend 4 grand on a folder), but the fixed blades he does are hilarious. And thats what the show really highlights.
And, nah, never heard of the dude. His fixed blades are are about as far away from the knives that interest me as you can get.

Wait, you've been collecting for many years and have NEVER heard of Todd Begg, WHATT?!?!

He makes some of the most regarded knives on the market, like his well known Bodega line.

Watching the show you have to go in realizing its a TV show and reality TV at that.

Yes parts will be scripted and some parts corny.

But I'm just VERY happy to see a show about something I truly love dearly.....KNIVES!!

Can everyone pick apart the show and find something they don't like, sure, but I still enjoyed many aspects of the show.

I do hope it doesn't tarnish Todd's name at all and hope it stays on the air.

And many will comment on Todd saying he was handing over the Bodega line to his brothers. I'm pretty sure he has recently stated that he wasn't serious about doing it, but I could be wrong.

Back