Blade Show (Atlanta) knife laws?

Hi,

What's legal to carry in Atlanta? I'm going to the Blade show and I want to make sure my Emersons are not too big.

Thanks,

JD

Atlanta limts blade length to less than 3 inches. This only applies to Atlanta but they do occasionally enforce it. Also, you cannot conceal any knife "designed or modified for offense or defense." You would probably need a lawyer to interpet the case law for you. I have never had problems with Delica's, small Sebenza's, etc. even after 9/11.

I for one am not going to charge someone with those type laws unless they overtly are doing something really wrong.

You will find Georgia to be a very layed back state, not like Commifornia, New York, or Chicago.

You can carry your firearm in your car as long as it is visible, unless you have a Georgia Firearms Permit (which btw, in georgia is open carry or concealed carry) then you can conceal it as well.

I wouldn't really worry about the Georgia knife laws, just as long as you are being a good citizen and not causing trouble. Thats not saying go out there and break the law, don't do that, just keep in mind that with everything in life, if you are minding your own business and not causing "trouble" you probably will not be questioned.

Most peace officers in georgia are very pro-2nd ammendment, and they don't have a problem with guns and knives....Just as long as you remember the obvious, like not carrying a knife into a govt building, school, courthouse, post office, etc...

Even then, like in the jurisdiction that I patrol, almost all college students carry a pocket knife...fine with us, just as long as they aren't useing it in an offensive matter. I don't get on to students who are pealing an orange with a pocket knife...

At any rate, Enjoy Atlanta, and welcome...

I agree. Georgia has pretty liberal knife laws. Knives with blades under 2 inches are even allowed in public schools unless the local community bans them.

Anybody know if Georgia would honor a Kentucky Concealed Deadly Weapon carry permit?

According to www.packing.org Georgia will recognize a Kentucky permit, BUT check for the places that Georgia law states are off-limits for pistols. It is not clear that carrying into the Blade Show itself will be legal under a carry permit. (Something about public gatherings being off-limits.) And, as always, it is a good idea to check with Georgia for any updates to the laws that may not be on the packing.org site.

In all my years attending the blade show (starting with Knoxville) I have never had a problem carrying a 3-4" blade clip pocket folder.

Anyone else had any issues while attending blade?

Georgia - 26-2901 and 26-9911a. It is illegal to carry
concealed any "offensive or defensive" knife.

I have never had a problem but this is how the law is written now. I can't imagine any kind of problem at the show but be careful otherwise.

The blade show is NOT considered a public gathering. A public gathering is basicly like a town hall gathering, or maybe picketing on the side of the street, some formal assembly... But you are conducting lawful business at lawful retailers.

Now if the Cobb Galeria Centre is owned by Cobb County, then its illegal to carry a firearm to a publicly owned building.

Also keep in mind Georgia does not diffrentiate between open and concealed carry of firearms. If you have a permit, then you can carry either which way. Of course, if you look shabby concealed is the way to go, draws less attention.

I don't know anyone who would be charged with the concealed knife law unless you did something really ridiculous so that gets added on...

Back