BladeForums BEST BOWIE - 2012 - Voting Closed - Finalists Selected!

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy Holidays to all - I hope everyone is enjoying a wonderful holiday season.

This will be the sixth annual BEST BOWIE (Fighter, Camp Knife, Large fixed blade) thread. As with years past, this is primarily about gathering and displaying a diverse virtual assembly of the state of the bowie as it exists today.

Lorien has kindly volunteered to help with the vote-counting over the past several years, but if anyone else would care to step up this year, please drop me an e-mail or PM.

And I am pleased to extend a special thanks to Dave Crawford who has once again generously agreed to donate an engraved plaque to the maker of the winning knife.

Just a refresher on how things work. I’d particularly encourage those who are new to the event to have a close read.

What types of knives are included?

This is NOT an attempt to define the bowie knife in either historic or contemporary terms. While I appreciate that people have strong feelings on the subject, no-one is in possession of a conclusive, exhaustive and universally-accepted definition. As with all past years, bowies, fighters, camp knives and generally any fixed blade that meets the size requirements are welcome to be included amongst the nominees. Both stock removal and forged blades are equally welcome. Daggers are excluded, as are Khukuris and traditional Tantos.

What are the other requirements?

There are 3.

1) Timing - the knife must have been made in 2012 - or first shown on Bladeforums in 2012 - the idea is to keep things current.

2) Dimensions – blade length of 6” and up.

3) Must be a custom knife.

As before, ownership - doesn't matter – the nominated piece can be a knife you made, a knife you own or somebody else's knife all-together that you have seen and admired.

I would particularly encourage makers to show what they feel is the best bowie THEY made this year. This is no time to be shy. Also, feel free to point to the work of one of your fellow makers that stood out to you or caught your eye this year.

How to post up your nominees.

There is no limit on the number of entries at this, the nomination stage - as many as you like that meet the above criteria. We'll run this over the holidays to collect as many entries as we can, then narrow it down to 5 finalists that everyone gets to vote on in an open poll. BUT - Please number your entries 1 through however many you have in any single post -. So to be (hopefully) clear - each NEW post should start with the first knife shown being numberd "1". This will make the process for selecting finalists MUCH easier. You are not ranking your entries (i.e., your favourite first), just numbering one through however many you tender in a single post to facilitate the vote counting. Also be sure to give us the name of the maker of each knife you enter.

Finally - only two "please don'ts". Comments on and discussion of the knives posted is most welcome and actively encouraged, but please don't quote an earlier post and reproduce the image already shown. This can lead to confusion when it comes to tallying votes, as the same knife shown 2 or 3 times has its votes scattered.

Also, please refrain from voting until nominations are closed and the opening of voting is announced.

Beyond that - show us some knives, tell us what you like about ‘em and have some fun.

I'll start off with a few in two consecutive posts to (hopefully) get the whole numbering thing started off right, then sit back and enjoy yours.

Last edited:
1. Dave Lisch Fighting Dragons Bowie. This Bowie would appeal in plain carbon steel and wood – the crisp, angular lines are purposeful and compelling. But then you add the wizardry of Lisch Damascus, which renders in steel an aerial battle between rival clans of dragons – and you have something special. Top it off with a delicious piece of stag – harder to come by these days than a delicious piece of ivory – and you have a special piece.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

2. Russ Andrews Ivory Bowie. Photos rarely capture what is a signature feature of any Russ Andrews bowie – excruciatingly clean fit and finish. Great lines and an unmistakable bowie profile are what put this piece in my 2012 Best Bowie file.

orig.jpg

3. Jerry Fisk Trail of Tears Bowie. The lines are classic Fisk. The damascus is utterly mesmerizing.

orig.jpg

4. Don Hanson III – Ivory and Damascus Bowie. Another knife you could identify from across the room from its signature lines alone. Don holds the record for most knives nominated over the years of the Best Bowie event, and with good reason.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

5. Harvey Dean Feather Pattern Dogboner Bowie. A compelling combination of the classic Dogbone style with the contemporary feather pattern Damascus, elevated by stunning engraving and gold inlay.

orig.jpg

6. Lin Rhea. I expect we’ll see a few from this talented maker. This one just shouted “Bowie!” to me. Terrific lines and an eager look.

orig.jpg

7. Samuel Lurquin Tsavo Bowie. A compelling contemporary rendition of the classic fighting bowie. A broad and powerful blade that looks (and no doubt is) impressively quick.

orig.jpg

1. Kyle Royer Blue Ivory Bowie. Known to be an absolute prodigy. Perhaps less well known to be a genius with Damascus. Here is an example of both qualities.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

2. Stuart Branson. Stuart reminds me of another favourite maker of mine who would fearlessly – and successfully – blend styles from different cultures into a cohesive and compelling whole. That maker, like Stuart, had a gift for rendering truly spectacular hamons. That maker is Donn Fogg. This knife is by Stuart Branson:

orig.jpg

Go ahead, let yourself get lost in this hamon:

orig.jpg

3. John Cohea brings the knives of yesteryear forward to stunning effect. The complex sheaths are works of art unto themselves that fully complement the individual knife. This piece ranks mong my faves:

orig.jpg

I'll add more down the road, but let's see what caught your eye over the course of 2012.

Last edited:
My favorite thread of the year :)

My first nomination

Never mind Roger got it :)

Last edited:
wow, the bowies already shown would be a worthy group of finalists!
nevertheless I´ll throw some of my knives into this pool...:

1. `toruk´

322a.jpg

322k.jpg

322l.jpg

2. ´chopping with style´

327a.jpg

327g.jpg

327k.jpg

3. ´the guardian´

323d.jpg

323m.jpg

323o.jpg

4. ´simply black´

310q.jpg

310b.jpg

310m.jpg

Thanks gents ! Joe - baby - that Lurquin is already nominated (Post 2, #7) - by moi - using Norbert's photo.

I think that Mike Craddock deserves a nomination, so here it is: #1
attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
1. Blade Show 2012, Best Bowie, Jason Knight, MS

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a vintage beauty from Ed Fowler that came to light this year. One of 7 made, in the 1990s. Handle is desert ironwood and mule deer antler.
4B533C4F-2F71-4461-981D-01716CFEF593-613-000001213630AAC7.jpg

David

Thank you Roger! This is going to be a 'killer' year judging by your fist inclusions... I'll be posting up a few soon. ;)

This is the only Bowie that I purchased this year.

It is a Tim Hancock, MS 9 5/8” Damascus Dogbone Bowie, with Walrus Ivory & Twist Damascus. It won “Best of Show” 2012 ABS Knife Expo.

Hancock-web.jpg

K06204-HancockTim_0075.jpg

Jim Treacy

First pic is 1. John White's 'Autumn' Bowie next is 2. Jason Knight's Charleston Bowie.

43f69a20.jpg

abda2ef8_zps0e0c47b7.jpg

KnightsCharleston_zps6d072d3b.jpg

Charlestonbowie_zpsb125528c.jpg

Attachments

• 8119452551_d16e966eee_n.jpg
    8119452551_d16e966eee_n.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 7598814968_cf0d303769_n.jpg
    7598814968_cf0d303769_n.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Maximus Bowie by Samuel Lurquin

This year I liked Joe post 'zombies' when I discovered the Sam Maximus Bowie I thought that he would make a good weapon anti Zombies.

One day, I would have a Maximus Bowie...

maximusbowie.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Roger for the nomination,

Looking over the year, I did some odd things but here are some pieces I did that fall into this category.

I started 2012 with this piece. My first photos by Coop and my first published photo in Blade Magazine and Knife World.

Branson_120207_01_zps97ee30f8.jpg

And here are some others that fit the criteria.

W2TWalfighter11_zps28040dfe.jpg

BogOakSheath_11_zpsae8e21c0.jpg

CJavierFighter_11_zps7059ce04.jpg

DennisCGN_51_zpsc24f21db.jpg

DSC_0968_01_zpse875d8da.jpg

CampDaisho_11_zps65f74594.jpg

Last edited:
The Wheeler/Paranee fighters where big in last years contest. But this variant was made in 2012 and captured so well by Buddy I will throw it up.

1) Wheeler/Paranee Fighter/Gentlemens Bowie

7c352953.jpg

2) Another large fighter small Bowie done expertly by Claudio

d8464086c6614c30afc2554336953a0f.jpg

3) best Fighter from Blade by my brother from another mother David Mirabile
8e60f858.jpg

here's my first entry a fighter from Sam Lurquin,
origu.jpg

For my second entry, Norbert
Was faster than me ............:cool:

My favourite thread of the year. Here we go:

#1. Joe Keeslar 50 years of knifemaking
orig.jpeg

#2. Josh Smith
orig.jpg

#3. Larry Fuegen & Tim Hancock CKCA Bowie
orig.jpg

#4. Rodrigo Sfreddo
medium800.jpg

#5. John White D-guard
orig.jpg

orig.jpeg

#6. Kyle Royer
large.jpg

#7. Rodrigo Sfreddo
orig.jpg

#8. Dennis Friedly with Stan Hawkins and Gill Rudolph (Eggly photo)
orig.jpg

Marcel

Last edited:
Back