BladeForums.com Survival Knife & Kit project

Spark

HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
After returning from SHOT this weekend, I've been bitten by the bug to put together an official BFC survival kit, with knife.

Adventure Medical Kits will be releasing a new SOL Pak shortly, if it isn't out already.

TOPS Knives is going to be producing a ferro-cer rod & mag-rod bundle that comes with another whistle & a P38. They are also making a Folding Survival Saw that isn't shabby.

RAT Cutlery has released the RC-6, which is a hell of a knife.

I'm thinking, combine all this with a SPEC-OPS Brand Survival Sheath and you've got 90% of what's needed in one package, with redundancy on several of the important items.

What else should be added? Water purification probably, AquaMira is a good place to start. What else?

EDIT - Good ideas thus far:

Nalgene or Camelbak water bottle.
Pitchwood or fatwood or other tinder (SOL Kit comes with some TinderQuick already)

Cost to members would depend on how much all this crap would cost me, plus a little extra. If there's a ton of stuff, the price is higher than if the kit is bare bones.

Chunk of pitchwood?? Chunk of 550 cord? Nalgene bottle? I am liking it Spark! I'm in!

Sounds good need to add a first aid kit or supplies though. The SOL Pack dosn't have any medical supplies in it.

Totally interested in this also. I think including a metal cup for under the nalgene is a must when water purification is nil.

sounds goood can't wait to see how it pans out. i would like to get one as well but would like a ball park before i commit. my 2 cents would be one of those compass, thermomiter combos they cost about $7 around here. if we can do this it might be a good idea to check through ower forummite brothers and sister she if we can find some conections to good sources to lower the prices. it would take a simple thread like . Who can help me get the best Prices. if that were done buy you spark you might be able to lower the cost further than trying to go it alone. but you im sure know alot more than i so this is most likely a lamo idea. but theres my bit.

Cool idea! Rather than a plastic water bottle, a Guyot stainless steel bottle would provide a boiling container as well. Barring that, a stainless cup that nests on the bottom of the Nalgene would cover this important item.

There doesn't seem to be a flashlight in the SOL, so maybe a Photon LED or similar would help round it out.

-- FLIX

Haven't had good luck with photons myself.... maybe a small Fenix?

A signal mirror and whistle?

I have plenty of knives but would be interested in the rest of the kit. Maybe you could figure some kits without the knife simply because even though another good knife is always fun, most here already have their choice of knives.

This said, if that would complicate the matter I would go with the full pack.( Depending on cost)

Very cool idea, and with my tax return arriving soon (hopefully), I'll be quite interested!

Thanks Spark!
-Parke1

Sounds good boss!!
I think the GI issue canteen would be better than the Nalgene bottle because the canteen is thicker and does not shatter like the Nalgene's.
The canteen also has the cup-stove-pouch system.

Great idea, I 'll buy one :D.

Nalgene might not be the best option for water. With the hoopla over the No. 7 plastics and the fact they leech chemicals under high heat, putting boiling water in one probably isn't the best idea. The Klean Kanteen 40oz. and the Guyotdesigns 38oz. fit the same metal mug as the 32oz. Nalgene's.
The Guyot, because of its design (Like the wide mouth Nalgene.) can have a mug on top and bottom with a height of only 8 1/2 inches.

That's a neat idea actually. Some fatwood and 550 cord would be other important contenders. Maybe a ceramic rod.

I think I'd lean towards the GI canteen/cup/pouch system over the nalgene. They seem to carry a lot better on the belt.

I'm in. I'd be interested in more of a bare bones kit over trying to pack in the kitchen into a spec ops sheath, however I'll be interested either way.

I already have most of what I need to fill the spec ops sheath, I would just like to have the knife, and sheath option from BF. Either way I'm in!!!!!!!!

BTW, the RC-6 looks like a great knife.

Specs from web site:
Overall length: 11.75"
Cutting Edge Length: 5.75"
Blade length (end of handle to tip of blade): 6.5"
Blade Width: 1.56"
Weight (knife only): 11.8 ounces
Drop point blade style, full flat grind
Available in plain or partially serrated edge
Maximum thickness: .188"
1095 Carbon Steel, 57 Rc.
Removable lined Micarta handle slabs
Rounded Pommel w/ lanyard hole
Blade-Tech Molded Sheath w/ RAT Cutlery MOLLE System
Optional equipment: MOLLE Clips, Tek-lok

rc6.jpg

I'd be in for sure. Those SOL packs look great, wouldn't take much to flesh it out a little. ANd the RC6 definitely looks like the best choice for something like this.

Back