Bladeless Sak? Curious Question

KBA

Has anyone ever modified a Sak to remove the knife blade and replace it with something else?

The reason I ask is I love my traditional knives, and carry one daily, yet don't need two blades. A bladeless fieldmaster would be near perfect.

Apologize if there is a thread on this already

Wenger made a SAK that was TSA approved. Its blade was modified into an eyeglasses screw driver.

I modified this classic to be school legal by grinding the pen blade off at the ricasso with my dremel and turning it into a flathead driver
32e7ecd3bb4f91349fe222b420f674d0.jpg

I have not, but I do recall seeing the results. If you are willing to drill and re-pin a SAK, which isn't terribly hard with a decent home workbench, then you could do such a thing, either by deleting the layer, or by adding in a matching layer from a donor SAK. The layers and springs work together, so as long as you had an entire layer complete, any combo should work.

In the case of the field master, the backside phillips shares the spring with the blades, so you'd have to loose it, or add tools that matched... Although if you had a donor, you could possibly add in the magnifier/inline phillips layer from an explorer or swisschamp, which don't have any backside tools as far as I know.

I have not, but I do recall seeing the results. If you are willing to drill and re-pin a SAK, which isn't terribly hard with a decent home workbench, then you could do such a thing, either by deleting the layer, or by adding in a matching layer from a donor SAK. The layers and springs work together, so as long as you had an entire layer complete, any combo should work.

In the case of the field master, the backside phillips shares the spring with the blades, so you'd have to loose it, or add tools that matched... Although if you had a donor, you could possibly add in the magnifier/inline phillips layer from an explorer or swisschamp, which don't have any backside tools as far as I know.

Appreciate the post. Ive never attempted modifying one, but I may this summer when I have more time. I certainly have some homework to do. It may need wood covers as well. :D

He's right, it isn't that hard to do. I just put a Camper back together this afternoon. He's also correct that the inline Phillips/magnifier layer doesn't have a backspring tool, but it would still leave you with the empty spot on the outside scale where the Phillips or corkscrew lays unless you find a donor that doesn't have either. If there is such a critter in 91mm, I don't know what it is.

Looking at a Huntsman, I think you could move the can/bottle opener layer to the back and use that spring for the backspring Phillips. You'd lose the awl instead, and the nail nicks would be to the inside, but should still be accessible. Next time I have one apart, I'll see if it would work. Probably be a couple of weeks.

Don't need two knife blades ? :eek: :eek: :eek:
I can't see wanting to turn a sak into a sat, but I'm sure it would be easy to just cut the blade off ( makes me cringe just typing that )
Another route would be taking a leatherman micra and replacing the blade with a house key.

It's that minimalist gene some people have. Just cutting off the blades would leave you with an empty channel for crud to collect in. Although, now that you mention it, a couple of keys might fit. Hmmm....

As far as moving the can opener/bottle opener layer to the back goes, that part will work. The tang of the Phillips or corkscrew has to be ground off 0.015" from a thickness of 0.095" down to 0.080" thick to make it work with the thinner spring of the opener layer.

Has anyone ever modified a Sak to remove the knife blade and replace it with something else?

Done by Victorinox and Wenger.

show_image.php

Jetsetter 3 is in Victorinox's 2016 catalog.

show_image.php

Wenger Air Traveler 16911 is out of production but easy to find. No one collects this so it's cheap.

show_image.php

Wenger Swiss Clipper AT is out of production and harder to find. Absolutely no one collects this, so if you find one it should be cheap.

Wenger's Micro Screwdriver is a little too chunky for my eyeglasses screws. I can force it with extreme pressure, YMMV.

Swiss Bianco considered making one six years ago but it never happened.

3c68b274.jpg

Check the thread, try a PM if it interests you. Maybe there wasn't enough interest in 2011.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/835537-bladeless-sak?highlight=bladeless

Apologize if there is a thread on this already

"Anything worth saying once is worth saying twice."

Backspring Phillips or corkscrew off the scissor spring in place of the multi-function hook. I hadn't thought of that. I may have to build one tomorrow.

Well, that doesn't work either. The spring for the scissors/package hook won't let the Phillips lay down flat, and the Phillips doesn't provide enough spring tension to hold the scissors closed. On the plus side, I now have a Fieldmaster (with knife blades).

Back