BM Bali trainer....any good?

Kodiak PA

Gold Member
Does anyone own this model? Is it out? I saw it at 1SKS. I'd appreciate any comments on this trainer. Thanks.

I've had one for quite some time and have sparred with it. It's very good. I haven't got a review of it up yet. It's kind of a bit clunky as a flipper, though not bad at all. But as a trainer it's great. It's taught me some interesting lessons already.

I am just getting into Balisongs and wanted to do it right. I got the Michael Janic tape today and ordered a few others. Also your site has been a big help. Thank you.

Yeah I think you'll enjoy it Greg.., seems like it will take some punishment for sure! I haven't had mine that long.., but it seems like a very functional conversion from the "real guy". Hope you enjoy it!

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

You know, when I saw your post I said, "Gee, I know that I've seen him around bf.c before making constructive, informative, and helpful posts, but don't recall off hand that he's been in the balisong forum much." So, that explains it.

Well, I'm delighted that you've decided to explore these most interesting of knives. I hope you'll stick around and participate here.

I've had mine now for a bit. It is the most fun bali to flip, because the edge and pit dangers have been removed. The typical BM quality is there. It's sturdy (dropped more than I care to confess when trying to relearn aerials), and holds up well to full contact sparring.

There is one complaint I have with it. The point in about an half inch shorter than the real blade, and I found that shortness in distance to totally throw off my point attacks during sparring. Of course it's safer for my partner, but I'm not used to having to extend that much more to initiate contact.

Back