Boat-camping and fishing in Southeast Alaska.

Mark Knapp

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
My friend Rick and I took an 11 day boat-camping trip from Sitka Alaska down around the bottom of Prince of Wales Island, up the other side and back to Sitka. May 5th to 16th. Along the way we fished, visited friends and took in the scenery. We traveled about 900 miles, saw lots of wildlife and slept in the v-birth of the boat in protected bays on most of the evenings.
The trip was a blast, the sunsets were magnificent and we caught some fish.
20230607_184807.jpg20230607_184958.jpg
The king salmon were caught trolling conventional gear.
20230609_180513.jpg
When we were in a hurry to catch dinner and go to bed, after a long day of travel, we fished with conventional gear and generally caught dinner in a few minutes.
When we took time off for fishing and when conditions allowed, we fly fished.
hal on fly 2.jpg
We caught halibut on a fly as well as many other species.
me with hal 2.jpg
1000001634.jpg
Our friend Dave with a halibut on a fly.
20230604_094521.jpg
This is our go-to fly for deep sea fly fishing. It's 8 to ten inches long, and mostly white chicken feathers with dumb bell eyes tied on 3/0 Gamakatsu off-set shank worm hooks. We caught all manor of fish on a fly including a new species for me, a Dark Dusky Rockfish.

That looks awesome. Thanks for sharing. I bet the halibut felt like a whale on a fly rod. Great pictures.

were you able to go ashore and grill all those wonderful fish?

11 days of grilled fish would be like Heaven..... :D

were you able to go ashore and grill all those wonderful fish?

11 days of grilled fish would be like Heaven..... :D
We can grill them right on board. The grill goes right into the rod holder receptacle. No need to go ashore with the bugs and bears.

Last edited:
Back