Bob Dozier Knives

I have recently purchased two of Bob's knives and have been extremely impressed. Since I only buy knives that I will use rather than "save" or "collect", I see no reason to buy any other make of knife. They are fantastically sharp and hold an edge better than any other I've seen. Awesome sheaths, too. Plus, the best/friendliest customer service one could ask for.

Any other owners with stories or opinions?

Jet

Bob's knives are great for "users". I bought 2 K-6 Companions for my friend and I for hunting and such. Super blades. D2 doesn't polish up for looks as well as some other steels, but like I said, I bought them to use. I don't have any knives out of the 20 or so that I have that don't get used. Great quality for the price in a semi-custom (semi-production?) knife.

------------------

Jet, which two did you buy? As nice as Bob's fixed blades are, his folders are even better!

I just found a Tab-1 with a hunter blade last weekend. Hopefully I should get it in a few days. I'll repost and tell you what I think!
Barry H

Bob's wife Linda is typically who you get on the phone, and without exception, she has been a very sweet, gracious, helpful lady... same at shows. And that makes dealing with Dozier's directly just great.

First of all, I have seven Dozier knives. That suggests a satisfied customer.

http://www.dozierknives.com

Anecdotally: I brought home a dozen Redfish from a fishing trip a while back (Red Drum). These are pretty tough saltwater fish, dull out fillet knives when you cut under gills, anytime you cut their scales. I used a Dozier hunter to do the initial entry into the fish... under gills, opened the belly cavity, cut scales along spine to ease the fillet-ing process. I couldn't believe how sharp the knife was afterwards... I didn't even resharpen it, and I like stuff sharp. I didn't really take off any edge at all.

Recall I'm a happy customer when you read the pros/cons of Dozier's knives:

Pro:
=======
1. Bob chooses to make his living providing some of the best values in custom fixed blades. High performance at what amounts to production pricing in most cases (most of his line is between $135-$165 !). He can make high fit/finish too, and used to, but focuses on working knives now in running his biz. It speaks to the practical side, Bob's roots as a country boy, growing up in hunting camps in Louisiana. Kudos for admirably filling this niche.

2. I like D2's working performance better than ATS-34. I suspect you could get better out of Stellite under some conditions (notably salt water use), and 420V I think beats D2, but 440V takes a really optimized heat treat to beat D2 and must be left softer (Rc55-58). BG-42 is a contender, better all around than D2 in terms of corrosion, very close in other areas. That is the list of common blade materials that have much chance of bettering D2. IMHO.

3. D2 is probably the peak, the ultimate when you take potential SS blade performance and divide by cost of the raw material stock. This means maximized blade performance (for slicing) at reasonable prices.

4. Dozier's ability to heat treat D2 is probably as good or better than all comers in USA. I'm sure others are good, Paul Bos, but Dozier leaves little or nothing on the table.

5. Designs are very practical, stripped of all unnecessary and flashy stuff. Very utilitarian. Very user friendly. Bob's stuff has an appropriately heavy, cadillac, rounded, substantial feel in-hand. It's easy to get flashy, to spend time on "features" that don't add to the using experience. Bob avoids this in his working knives line. Kudos.

6. Kydex sheaths from Bob are light, extremely well fitted, great snap-in, snap-out with a twist... among the very best in the business.

7. Bob will lightly customize an existing design for you at reasonable prices.

8. If you want one of his bigger knives in a tougher format, Bob will do them in A2 for you on custom order basis. E.g. his Bowie, the Ranger, etc. A2 is about twice as tough as D2 so makes a better chopper and still holds a great edge at the expense of corrosion resistance.

Observations / Neutral to Con:
===============================
1. If you want something custom, you need to start from an existing design and deviate moderatly to keep price down. I understand Bob's approach, semi-production line in small shop, just noting a self-chosen Dozier limitation in current form. He will work from a sketch and give you a quote. That's great.

2. Bob's final hollow grind finish (300- something grit, per Bob) on D2 is too rough for my tastes, and more to the point, it tends to be too rough to avoid very mild spots of rust unless you clean VERY thoroughly and oil. That knife I use on fishies... it gets a thorough bath in the sink and some kind of corrosion inhibitor (oils, Tuf Cloth) before it goes into sheath from experience. This is both a D2 corrosion resistance issue (mild one) and an issue with a finish that is too coarse (but keeps price down also).

| Sidebar: D2 can be finished very nicely with some effort. I have a Walter Brend Model 2 that has a super finish, I thought it was ATS-34, but no, Walter spend the time (and me the money) for such finish. I also have a Jimmy Lile hunter in D2 with a very nice finish, it does show a bit of the orange-peel nearly everybody gets with D2 on smooth surfaces. I like brushed/satin finish on D2 for this reason. End Sidebar|

3. Occasionally, Bob lets an unevenly ground blade out of his shop. I got a crooked, unevenly ground Pro Skinner from AG Russell and sent it back.

4. Having said the above, when I had a problem with the wood raising up on the handle of a Dozier (this happens, even with stabilized wood, sometimes), Bob & Linda were very reasonable in getting me a solution to the problem... that is all I ask of a maker. So this is a positive, just mentioned in "con" along with #3 above.

5. I can't put my finger on it, but his folders leave me cold (except the little micarta 3" drop point which I like). Some has to do with harsh lines, sharp angles/edges, steel handles, and the action is just ok. Having said that, the ones he designs for heavy duty work are among the sturdiest in the business, approaching Sebenza's in my mind, exceeding them in Bob's opinion.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ok, remember, I was nit picking... I own 7 Dozier fixed blades. The above IMO, your methods/opinions may vary.

[This message has been edited by rdangerer (edited 03-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by rdangerer (edited 03-31-2001).]

I recently sold a Pro Guide's knife and totally regret it. Thank God I'm going to the ECCKS on Fri. I plan on ordering another one from the man himself.
They are wonderful users. True, I've seen better finishes and grinds on other knives, but they normally cost twice as much. And, I've never owned a knife that had such a sharp easily resharpened blade. That Pro Guide's knife is a real cutting machine.
Lenny

The two I own are the Elk Hunter w/ 5.75 blade and the Yukon Pro Skinner. Next will be the Slim Outdoorsman. Any other suggestions?

Jet

I also own the KS5. It's a great "big" knife. The little 3" drop point folder is an extremely well-made liner lock (as far as what to get next). Also look at the Straight Hunter and the Straight Personal as good all-around using knives. I do like the looks of the Trapper (folder) but haven't held one yet. That double locking system (tab-lock) makes it very tempting.
And of course, the obligatory Dozier is the Arkansas Toothpick, with inlay of course!
biggrin.gif

I'll have to second (or third) the praise of Dozier knives. I have a "Master Hunter", which is the sharpest thing I've ever seen. So sharp and so optimized for skinning big game that I hardly dare use the knife except for skinning! Since I don't skin very much (and the knife is definately overkill on rabbits), I've recently ordered a K-1 utility which I hope to use much more frequently than the skinner.

As for folders, I think Bob does a good job there too, but I already own 2 Sebenzas, so I'm not really in the market for another high end folder...

I have one of the Folding Hunters, with brown canvas micarta scales. You wouldn't want to do any prying or the like with this knife, but then, it's not designed to do that, it's a champ at slicing. Very light in the pocket or on the belt. The liner lock is very secure and as thick as the blade tang, nothing is gonna "fold" in that juncture.
I like this knife alot, carry it in my rt. front pocket most every day at work.

------------------
Buck Collectors Club Member # 572
Dedicated ELU
Knifeknut(just ask my wife)
Sebenzanista

Glad to see Bob getting the recognition he so richly deserves. I've been using one of his Yukon Pro Skinners for several years. What an awesome knife! I couldn't agree more with all of the positive comments that have already been said.

I've purchased Dozier's for family and friends. No higher praise can I give to any knifemaker.

AJ

Huzzah to the Slim Outdoorsman!
Last March I bought one with jigged bone handle slabs from Mr. & Mrs. Dozier at the NY show. Excellent f&f and pretty too.
Shows are where you'll find handles beyond micarta (not that there's anything wrong with micarta) like burls and bone. The missus said that Bob doesn't like making them but they sell, so she talked him into it...
Great folks, the Doziers.

I ordered a modified version of one of Bob's designs from him a few weeks ago. Now I can't wait to see how it comes out!
biggrin.gif

And Linda is a delightful person to deal with. I found out that they live near where my folks retired and she invited me to drop by the shop next time I'm out that way. Nice people!

--Bob Q

Thanks for all the replies. One last question. Has anyone used Bob's Canoe Knife or the Whittler? They are both available through A.G. Russell and I would be very interested in these blade styles.

Jet

Here's my Canoe with maple burl handle:
View

IMO, it's a great little personal utility knife. It is slim & light weight but has enough handle to be useful for chores. It would make a great trout & bird knife.

------------------
Cheers,
Brian

He who finishes with the most toys wins.

bcaffrey,
that is cruel! how did you know that I want one of those... But my knife money is spent!
See you (and the Doziers) @ EECKS
smile.gif

JJ good 2 choices those are the 2 I am trying to decide between. Let us know what you get and what you think about it. Anyone have the whittler?

I love my Slim Outdoorsman, though I haven't used it nearly as heavily as other posters. I'll probably take it backpacking this summer (either that or the Moran Featherweight). I like the simple but comfortable design and the sheath. While bone or wood handles might be a little classier, I like the matte micarta.

My next one will be the Whittler.

gm

Back