Boker 25 jahre meteorite questions.

Hi everyone,
I'm still kind of new to this forum, so you'll have to forgive me if I miss anything. I did a search but couldn't find anything in the forum.

I've owned a Boker 25 Jahre meteorite damascus lockback knife for a while. It's the one with the brown wood handle that's limited to 500 pieces (not the one limited to 75 pieces w/ the olive wood handle sold on A.G.Russell).

When I went to take a look at the knife recently, I noticed that the wooden handle has developed some kind of hazy white waxy material on the surface. It wiped off easily w/ my finger & soft cloth, and the wood underneath doesn't look like it has any damage. Can someone tell me what caused that? I store it in the wooden box it came in with, but not in its original plastic bag. The wooden box is stored in a cool, dark, dry area. I saw nothing else wrong with the rest of the knife.

Second, I would like to learn more about my knife. Can anyone tell me what kind of wood the handle is made of, and what other kinds of steel are used in the meteorite damascus layers? Actually, I'd also be interested in knowing whether or not if the meteorite was first smelted to steel and then layered with another steel, or the meteorite was just layered with another steel in its native form. I recall reading online once that meteorites makes a terrible blade by itself.

This last part is a much more selfish part: Has anyone who owned the knife tried it out and compared how well it performs compared to other knives/steels, 440C, VG-10, etc.? I haven't dared to use it at all because this is the first expensive knife I bought, plus the fact that it was forged with meteorite and stuff. :p

Anyway, thanks in advance. Hope I didn't stagger you guys with a wall of text.

I think it is the oil evaporated out of the scales .
Maybe tungsten oil i don't know which oil the factory used to moisture the wooden scales on this one... If it is cocobolo or another simular scales this tropic hardwood contains a lot of oil. When stored dry this will happen when stored for a long time

Maybe you must be in a very dry environment/surroundings...???? Airconditioned???

Don't worry about it you've got a fine knive. Pitty you don't use it once in a while ... I can't explain as you don't support us with detailed pictures and i don't know about this one.

Greats Maarten

You may be right about the dry environment in my room. A wooden taichi sword I brought back from Asia a few years back suddenly had a lot of wiggle between the handle and the guard after a month due to shrinkage.

I'd be happy to put up pictures of the knife for, I think it's a beauty. The pictures won't have any of the white stuff that I talked about because I've already wiped it off.

EDIT: Ok, got the pics up. I haven't figured out how I can put the pictures directly here since I don't have a webpage, but here's Flickr.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13954591@N02/sets/72157602111821507/

Here are your pictures. ( I use photobucket for sharing pics)

Boker25Jahre1.jpg

Boker25Jahre2.jpg

mike

the blade also has some stuff from long storing ... whipe it of with tungsten oil get some renaissance wax to keep them ok :cool:

i also think somebody tried resharpening which turned out wrong . i see some serious burring on the blade... Over steel removing i think..

The blade has stuff on it? It's clean... do you mean the white from the camera flash?

I never touched up the knife, it's the same as when I bought it online.

btw, 2brothers, thanks for the photobucket idea and putting it onto the forums for me. Appreciate it. :)

And thanks for the compliments. That's exactly why I can't bring myself to using that knife despite how much I want to test it out in an EDC condition... I've always believe that a good knife has to be used/usable, but I can't bring myself around to do it with this one.

Back