boker kwaiken disappointment

Thunderstorm Kevlar w/flipper - my favorite so far:)
9284444691_3512b585c0_c.jpg

I am totally in love with this knife...the only think that has entered my EDC rotation that is not a KAI USA product:)

And where in the world did you get that? Also, how bad is the blade exposure when it's closed? That's one thing that's really holding me back from getting one. I keep hearing how when it's closed you can still cut yourself.

. . . Also, how bad is the blade exposure when it's closed? That's one thing that's really holding me back from getting one. I keep hearing how when it's closed you can still cut yourself.

I've heard that too, but I own three and have never experienced that issue.

Actually gang, I'm going to leave mine be. I can live with it plus the SN# is 0003. :)

I've had one also and did not have that problem, then again, never felt inclined to
fondle the top section of the knife when the blade is closed. EDC'd in the pocket,
took it out and opened it when I needed to use it.

Cool. Thanks guys. You just eased my worries and I'll be buying one this week. Then, when one comes out with a flipper, I'll get that.

As for the blade exposure on being closed, I did experience that with mine, but it was not so egregious that I considered getting rid of it. Basically, as I describe it, is when I would close the blade with force, I could feel the edge hit the "fat" section of my fingers that were on the opposite end of the handle. I did not get cut or even any marks on my skin, but I could feel it. I also tested it by covering my finger in a thick napkin, then forcefully running it along the closed edge. The napkin was shallowly sliced open because the edge came SHARP. So there is a risk with mine, but didn't have issue with it.

Just an update on the enlarged thumb disks: I emailed Boker about them and while they don't have them yet, if you email Terry you will be put on a list to receive one once they're available. Thanks a lot Boker :thumbup:

+1. Throw in CF, I'll buy two. :D

Throw in better blade metal, CF scales, a flipper-only design, and address the pokey tip next to the backspacer maybe by tightening the gap between the two, and I'll pay $190 street. $225 street if it's made in Germany. :)

Here is an odd question does anyone know what the actual part number or where I can get the another screw side to the pivot? I took mine apart and fixed the detent as well as doing the flipper mod, but after all this the T8 has started to wear and I am worried it will strip.

Just received the orange g-10 version in the mail today. Man, I am impressed! This is my first Boker and overall I cannot complain. I've never handled the original model, but the large thumb disk on this kwaiken makes flicking it open effortless (that and the IKBS). The blade came extremely sharp from factory and the fit and finish on the knife I received is near perfect. Perfectly centered, zero play in any direction. The only blemish on mine is on the spine of the blade near the tip there appear to be some small tool marks that have dinged the blade. Makes no difference to me, especially since this is probably soon to be sent out to get some modification work done to it. I was on the fence about this knife, but since its arrival today, I am glad I went with it! Definitely looking forward to a production flipper version :D

I finally caved and ordered the green canvas one. It'll be flippered soon, so I can wait for Boker to make the new thumb discs available. I plan to also swedge (sp?) the tip and have fun with acid on the metal. Was so close to getting the orange, but decided to go green since I'm not planning to replace scales.

I finally caved and ordered the green canvas one. It'll be flippered soon, so I can wait for Boker to make the new thumb discs available. I plan to also swedge (sp?) the tip and have fun with acid on the metal. Was so close to getting the orange, but decided to go green since I'm not planning to replace scales.

I almost did this too, but I like G10 and I will most likely just RIT dye the scales myself (probably black). I'll post some pictures once it's all said and done.

Back