Boker Neil Blackwood Pipsqueak vs Benchmade 755 Shane Sibert MPR

Gotta compare them - my nearly 22 month old 24/7 EDC 755 against my Christmas present, a Boker Blackwood Pipsqueak:

005-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

Also shown above, a brand new 755BK - another present (My wife is a keeper!). The BM's have a .159" (755) blade of m390 and .160+ " (755BK) blade of m390. The Boker blade is S35VN and .154" thick. The Boker's two Ti sides are
thinner than the one Ti side of the BM, maybe 75% of it's thickness, it's other side being of thick G10. It also has a G10 cover over part of the lockbar and non pivot end of the BM's handle. That side is all Ti on the Boker. The Boker's opposite side has a curved scale of green canvas Micarta attached, while that side on the BM is thick G10, as mentioned earlier. The lockbar is relieved on the outside, covered by G10, while the Boker's is on the inside. Engagement of the older BM is perfect at still, like new, 40%, while the new one is at 70+% - limited by the step on it's end. When so locked, it has vertical play - unacceptable - it goes back! The Boker has no step limit - and it is tight at ~35% engagement. - excellent lockup. That and the inherently sturdier construction of two fairly thick Ti sides to run the pivot thru vs the BM's thicker Ti side and thick G10 give one the impression that the Boker may last longer. But - in 22 months+ of almost EDC of my old BM MPR, it's like new.

Other random observations... the pipsqueak has a SS sheet metal clip which fits in a mortised pocket in the Ti of the non-pivot and is attached by one bolt, while the BM's machined Ti clip fits flush on the Ti at the pivot end and is attached by two bolts. Make that pocket clipped tip up for the Boker; tip down for the BM. In my case, off with the clips, it doesn't matter, other than the Boker's bolt head being recessed in the clip pocket. Sharpness out of the box is a draw - both raise arm hairs. Handfit for my medium+ hands is VG for both, although the shorter Boker seems better fitted to my curling pinky finger - a minor ergonomic help. Thumb studs on both are equally effective as is the thumb jimping on the blade spine. Both blade spines throw sparks from a ferrocerium rod, although the plain 755 is much more adept. From under the tree to the sofa to my back pocket for pix - and then to my desk for clip removal, the Boker's stonewash Ti side has more character than my old BM 755! Still, they are pocket knives - tools. The store had another plain BM 755... I may check it out...

I like the Pipsqueak - it has a home! So does my old plain BM 755 MPR... not so sure re the 755BK...

Stainz

Last edited:
Thanks for the review and comparison.

I recently got a Pipsqueak and lockup on mine is also excellent.

It's really a beautiful piece although I'm still unsure how practical it is.

May I ask how you use yours?

thanks for the comparison, I think on paper the mpr looks better but for me I prefer the pipsqueak

Firstly, the new 755BK MPR didn't go back. It's hex-faceted stop pin was loose. Properly tightened, lockbar engagement was ~35% - and no vertical play. Interesting design feature - imprperly adjusted, however, it's a fault!

I haven't displaced my old MPR with the Pipsqueak - yet. I've only had it since Sunday, so I am not sure when/where to carry it. For now, it's a back pocket 'extra' knife - clipless, as it should be, IMHO. That MPR is pretty well entrenched as an EDC. I am thrilled to have the Pipsqueak - especially as it was delivered in fine functional and cosmetic shape. From my recent experiences with big buck Bokers, that isn't always the case.

Stainz

I received a Boker Pipsqueak a couple of days ago and it's a winner (second from the top in the Stubby Family Pictures below). Tough choosing between all four now. The Boker Albatros gives you a lot of value for price. I'll keep rotating them out of the change pocket on my jeans where they fit perfectly. If I had I choose one it'll probably be the Pipsqueak. Great ergonomics, sharp cutter and smallest package. Techno is a close second due to lightweight and most compact.

Open they're all about 6 inches except for the Benchmade at 7 inches. Closed 3.5-4".

6516f83b-df56-40d3-bde2-7589cb048872_zps79cef51b.jpg

ccf4e69d-a07f-4a13-a8ef-4db5e46913fa_zpsd251dfb4.jpg

Benchmade 755 MPR Specifications:
Overall Length: 6.90"
Blade Length: 2.90"
Blade Thickness: 0.164"
Blade Steel: M390
Handle Material: Titanium, G10
Weight: 5.50 oz.

Boker Pipsqueak Specifications:
Overall Length: 6.125"
Blade Length: 2.50"
Blade Thickness: 0.16"
Blade Steel: S35VN
Handle Material: Micarta Handle
Frame Material: Titanium
Weight: 5.08 oz.

Boker Albatros Specifications:
Overall Length: 6.375"
Blade Length: 2.50"
Blade Thickness: 0.196"
Blade Steel: VG-10
Handle Material: Titanium
Weight: 6.0 oz.

Spyderco Techno Specifications:
Overall Length: 5.98"
Blade Length: 2.55"
Blade Thickness: 0.177"
Blade Steel: CTS XHP
Handle Material: Titanium
Weight: 3.6 oz.

Im in the process of getting my pipsqueak pimped :D I love that knife its easily one of my favorites. At some point Id love to get a neil blackwood custom his LSD washed pimpsqueak is really awesome looking.

Back