Boker Plus ResCom folder

Well, here it is, the next incarnation of the CLBdesigns SubCom - the ResCom folder.
It comes with the 2nd Gen. longer pocket clip, AUS8 steel. It's got good lock-up and all the similar features found in the original.

Thanks to Boker USA for letting me take this new tool for a test-drive! I'm certainly not an expert in cutlery, just an average guy who wants a tool to make my job easier, safer and more effective.
After having it for a week or so I have had time to fool around with this little guy.

DSCF0008a.jpg

There will be some comments made about the original SubCom having... ummm... 'relations' with a Benchmade Rescue Hook, with this being the love-child of that illicit affair. That is not the case. The addition of a serrated blade and a more ergonomic package make this stand on its own. The Boker Plus is also sharpened on both sides, instead of just one side like the BM Hook. It isn't finely polished, but has 'micro-serrations' which some may find cut throught fibrous materials more effectively.

DSCF0027a.jpg

Cutting through various materials was excellent for a small blade: 550 Paracord, no problem - the serrated blade went right through it like butter; 7mm static rope? Same thing. Maybe 10mm static rope? Nope, not a problem. I tried 13/16" webbing...slipping over the second and third teeth of the serrations it was cut in two.

The hook, with it's 'micro-serrations' on a straight pull separated the paracord and 7mm with a little tug. The 10mm took a little more pull - mostly to get the rope all into the hook section. With the webbing, I just jammed it into the hook and pulled, it was a pretty jagged cut but got the job done. a seatbelt or clothing would be better cut by catching an edge of the material and pulling through it. I can't comment on gutting a fish or opening up some game as a hunter might do - I wasn't in the bush at all with it.

This would make an excellent tool for the glove box, first aid kit, as a secondary blade for LEO's, Search And Rescue, EMS or Fireman. With the very blunt point and recessed serrations it is definitely not a self-defense blade!

I'm going to put this little fellow through a longer test to see how it holds up under the rigors of daily life. If it's anything like the SubCom, I've got no worries. It will find it's way into my BDU's of my Search and Rescue gear.

**I'm terribly sorry about this poor picture. Left side is cut by the hook, right side by serrated blade.

DSCF0006a.jpg

After a few days of carrying it, I've found some good day-to-day uses for it, so it can be used for more than "rescue" tasks. (The hook will take the corner of a milk bag off in no time!:eek:

Here are a few more pictures just to make some of you jealous.

DSCF0012a%7E0.jpg

DSCF0016a.jpg

DSCF0021a.jpg

DSCF0025a.jpg

DSCF0014a.jpg

DSCF0026a.jpg

Aloha deeker,

W:eek: W!!! Thanks for a great review and pics as well!

However, no relationships with the BM Rescue Hook.:p The BM version is limited to cutting through only what will fit within the mouth of it's hook portion. Such is not the case with the RF. So long as you can get a bit of "side to side sawing motion" within the opening of the "blade", the RF can then use it's serrated edge to "saw down" what needs to be cut and then finish the cut with a pull of the hook.;)

Do keep us posted on the RF, and if you got a Spyderco Sharpmaker, it can be sharpened with the white stones...freehand.;)

Mahalo much and God bless Knifebro:thumbup:

I'm not the buggest fan of this ( I tend to prefer the SOG SAR Flash II of Emerson SARK) but I'm sure it performs its intended purpose very well. Thanks fo the great review

I'm not the buggest fan of this ( I tend to prefer the SOG SAR Flash II of Emerson SARK) but I'm sure it performs its intended purpose very well. Thanks fo the great review

Mahalo Hammer27,

Thanks for your kind words.:thumbup:

God bless:cool:

Could you try it with those plastic ties, I find myself cutting those things on almost a daily basis this looks the tool for the job.

thanks for the pics and review Deeker! Looks like another winner from Chad.

Aloha jaislandboy,

Mahalo bro, for your kind words and incredible support. (Love that avatar over in Spyderville BTW!;) )

God bless and let's hope you're right...:thumbup:

Could you try it with those plastic ties, I find myself cutting those things on almost a daily basis this looks the tool for the job.

Aloha Cyblade!

Do you mean zipties? How thick? I played with the RF on a few sizes of them and it worked great...:thumbup:

Let me know if possible the size of the "plastic ties", measured across...

God bless and take care:thumbup:

the ones I deal with are about 1/4" wide usually holding a bundle of wires together. This looks ideal for hooking the ziptie without worrying about the wires getting cut or nicked.

the ones I deal with are about 1/4" wide usually holding a bundle of wires together. This looks ideal for hooking the ziptie without worrying about the wires getting cut or nicked.

Aloha Cyblade,

I just cut a few about that size over the weekend as the inmates were making some McGuyver repairs on some weed whackers. The RF went through w/o any probz, or cutting anything else BUT the zipties!;)

Hope this helps and God bless:thumbup:

Back