boker's 440c and 440a finished stuff coming out of china and g4 questions?....

I am waiting on some more information before I answer this. I do now know that the majority of the factories we use are headquartered in Japan and do export materials, like the VG-10 in the Epicenter, so if it is labeled 440C, that is how I figure they are getting it.
As far as Magnum knives, that is mostly what I am waiting for.
Terry

I'm curious about Böker's Chinese 440C, too. I just got a Subcom Titan in 440C today (excellent knife so far, don't know how I missed it for so long), which should be an upgrade over the standard AUS-8. But I also know that Chinese 440C is often way off spec, and is actually 8Cr13MoV or 9Cr18Mo.
First and foremost, I don't know anything specific about the OP particular question. Just a general note regarding steel productions.

440C isn't a steel, it is an open steel production standard originating from the US (actually AISI 440C).
That means it consists into a series of elements with proportions brackets and anything that falls into those brackets is considered 440C. That means two steels might be slightly different and yet both could be called legitimately called 440C.
For example Carpenter's 440C is slightly different from Crucible's.
While the 440C is of US origin, anyone in the world can produce 440C steel as long as they stick to the standard. So you could have perfectly legal chinese 440C.
Actually, I didn't do a formal check but from a quick look at steel charts it seems like most steels qualifying as 9Cr18Mo (a chinese standard) might qualify as 440C too. It is perfectly possible to have a single steel qualify as several different denominations in different standards.

see:
http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/440C.asp

Last edited:
I do know that 440C has a range of proportions, but apparently some of the stuff from China that was supposed to be 440C was way outside of the tolerances. And the performance difference was noticeable, since they performed more like AUS-8.

Good to hear that Böker found a way to import better steel and still make the knife affordable!

I am waiting on some more information before I answer this. I do now know that the majority of the factories we use are headquartered in Japan and do export materials, like the VG-10 in the Epicenter, so if it is labeled 440C, that is how I figure they are getting it.
Terry

Thanks, Terry -- eager to see what you find out.

Terry
Do you mean Boker's 440c steel is made in Japan?

Back