Books by Horace Kephart

This just came in the mail today: This just may become one of my favorite outdoor books. How many camping type books start out with a quote from the Canterbury Tales???

Thanks to Mr. Becker for alerting us to Kephart!

Anyone else have some Kephart books?

What a cool find! I only have modern reprints of Kephart's writings so it is always fun to see the older editions when they pop up.

I need to get that book.

Another good outdoor read is the 6 book set by E.T. Seton Pioneering and Woodcraft. Lord Baden-Powell (founder of the Boy Scouts in Great Britain) was a long time friend of Seton and used much of what Seton wrote and promoted as the basis for the Boy Scouts.

Seton started the Woodcraft Indians in 1902, 11 years before the founding of the Boy Scouts. He was one of the founders of the Boy Scouts of America in 1910.

As Kephart was a librarian in St Louis when Seton's books were published, I would not be surprised if he was influenced by Seton's writings.

I also suspect both men were influenced in some manner by Dan Beard. He published The American Boy's Handy Book in 1880, started the Sons of Daniel Boone, another boys group in 1905, which merged into the BSA in 1910.

Another good outdoor read is the 6 book set by E.T. Seton Pioneering and Woodcraft. Lord Baden-Powell (founder of the Boy Scouts in Great Britain) was a long time friend of Seton and used much of what Seton wrote and promoted as the basis for the Boy Scouts.

Seton started the Woodcraft Indians in 1902, 11 years before the founding of the Boy Scouts. He was one of the founders of the Boy Scouts of America in 1910.

As Kephart was a librarian in St Louis when Seton's books were published, I would not be surprised if he was influenced by Seton's writings.

I also suspect both men were influenced in some manner by Dan Beard. He published The American Boy's Handy Book in 1880, started the Sons of Daniel Boone, another boys group in 1905, which merged into the BSA in 1910.
Very cool, had no idea.

Smoky Mountain Magic is a good little read. From what I understand, it is the only novel that Kephart wrote. His family had the manuscript and it was finally published in 2009 by the Great Smoky Mountain Association to coincide with the 75th anniversary of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

After reading about the Kephart knife I was interested also and got "Our Southern Highlanders". I live in the western NC foothills and it is a great read on this area.Thanks to Mr Becker for talking about him and his knife.

It's available for free on Kindle, if you do such things. Just picked it up the other day myself.
Thanks DunkEm! I just grabbed the Kindle edition but I may still watch for an affordable older hardback edition. I just like the feel of an old book in my hand. :)

Thanks DunkEm! I just grabbed the Kindle edition but I may still watch for an affordable older hardback edition. I just like the feel of an old book in my hand. :)

If you find two old hardbacks, grab me one as well.

Kindle is convenient, but actual old books are classic.

His cookbook is pretty interesting as well, especially when you consider Uncle Ethan's other hobby....

the Kindle reprint is regarded as "bad"...

the TN school print though is overly thick, but complete, from what i can see and here

i'd love a couple more old copies. they are elegant.

TSA fondled by second edition hard. i'd be in prison now if they tore it. good thing they didn't. for them :D

TSA fondled by second edition hard. i'd be in prison now if they tore it. good thing they didn't. for them

That would make me livid. Why did they feel the need to examine an old book, of all things? I understand TSA has a job to do but good grief, they need to learn a wee bit of common sense or maybe just some better objective observing skills...

I have a fair number of old, antique books, some quite rare, I can't tell you how angry I would be if I had been in your shoes. :mad:

That would make me livid. Why did they feel the need to examine an old book, of all things? I understand TSA has a job to do but good grief, they need to learn a wee bit of common sense or maybe just some better objective observing skills...

I have a fair number of old, antique books, some quite rare, I can't tell you how angry I would be if I had been in your shoes. :mad:

i had a triple long feng shui freedom massage for some reason, last time they were pretty eager to scope me out - at my local from me airport...

while that was going on, they tored into my rolling bag, which was just clothes, and stupid shite. i don't fly with pointies on the way down or even interesting flashlights. they completely ignore my carry on, which had batteries, and wires, and headphones, and tablets, and ... a book. they're using a new micro-rad wand which they also put a fabric like pad on - those have to get expensive over time. they wanded the book case, the cover, the pages. i went "ahem - you be REALLY careful with that, right?" and i told my massage guy "that book is 100 years old, you cannot imagine the grief if they damage it"... no response. i also got personally wanded *3* times. including once by this asshole who just felt the need. jeesus people. they probably let three handguns go by.

on the return trip? no xray, no magnets, nothing, just walked onto the plane. they said they had special sensors going ;)

google "tsa lobster" for a laugh. they freedom inspected a guy's 20 pound lobster *and* they posted the pictures online. that's not cool. the TSA says it's okay if they don't personally identify the guy. i think it's only okay for seized items. when you stuff is out of sight, you know you got 300 assholes ogling the pictures of you undies and sex toys ;)

Back